What if Clint Eastwood portrayed Jango Fett?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
What if Clint Eastwood portrayed Jango Fett?
 PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Since Jango wears a helmet, a stuntman can easily have performed all the stunts. Eastwood's characters inspired both Boba and Jango:

The only issues I would see is a matter of believability regarding Eastwood's age when Episode II was filmed, and the portrayal of younger clone troopers. Personally, I've always thought Hugh Jackman looks very similar to Clint Eastwood circa Dirty Harry:

Jackman and Eastwood are a bit older than Bodie Taylor and Temuera Morrison, respectively, so I suppose you could alter the timeline a bit to either have the clone army created earlier and either have Dooku leave the order earlier or not be involved with its creation at all except possibly to finance it, perhaps in collusion with Sifo-Dyas prior to leaving the order. Or just composite the characters.

As for his age, he's just shy of a decade younger than Christopher Lee, and he was acting in films at the time of the filming. I think the awesomeness of having him as Jango would outweigh the implausibility of it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote  

A complete Retcon? That seems a bit far fetched. I agree Clint Eastwood would have made an awesome Jango Fett...in his early years...and Hugh Jackman does resemble Clint a bit, and is a fine actor. But to actually retcon it? Doesn't seem worth it.

But from a fantastical perspective, it would have been a huge fan moment to see Clint Eastwood as Jango in Episode II, even if he didn't have much dialog. He's the sort of actor who could have pulled a lot off with just sheer screen presence.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

When I saw Gran Turino, I actually remember thinking that he reminded me of Boba as written in LotF. I like Morrison better for the character though.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

As a HUGE fan of Once Were Warriors, I loved that Temura was picked. CE might have done the job, but he's old, and too well known IMO. Sam L Jacko, McGregor and Neeson was enough hollywood for me. Ewan and Liam both nailed the parts... Windu - a little too angry and dismissive for a Jedi IMO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
A complete Retcon? That seems a bit far fetched. I agree Clint Eastwood would have made an awesome Jango Fett...in his early years...and Hugh Jackman does resemble Clint a bit, and is a fine actor. But to actually retcon it? Doesn't seem worth it.

But from a fantastical perspective, it would have been a huge fan moment to see Clint Eastwood as Jango in Episode II, even if he didn't have much dialog. He's the sort of actor who could have pulled a lot off with just sheer screen presence.

I just meant as a "what if," like we were in an alternate universe in which Eastwood was cast.

Edit: Regarding Cad Bane:

FWIW, Wikipedia says "The character Cad Bane from the Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008 TV series) is based on Lee's performance in 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly'."

I believe it.

Darth Cynos wrote:
As a HUGE fan of Once Were Warriors, I loved that Temura was picked. CE might have done the job, but he's old, and too well known IMO. Sam L Jacko, McGregor and Neeson was enough hollywood for me. Ewan and Liam both nailed the parts... Windu - a little too angry and dismissive for a Jedi IMO

Agreed. I think the role of Jango Fett was so small though that Temuera didn't really get to do a whole lot with it. And casting Eastwood wouldn't be like casting Sam Jackson as Windu, because his characters are what inspired the Fetts, so he wouldn't clash with what the character should be. And since Jango's role was fairly small, it wouldn't have been an excessive amount of work for Eastwood. He would basically just have had some dialogue with Ewan, a non-speaking scene in the balcony of the arena, some voiceover work, and someone else would have done all the stunts and fighting for the scenes in which he wears the helmet.

I just think it would have been feasible and really cool if it happened, but it's not as though I'm not upset about Temuera Morrison except that they dubbed over Jason Wingreen for The Empire Strikes Back.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm sorry but you just can't beat Morrison's New Zealand accent... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Gotta agree there. Cool

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Huh, I thought it was beat back in 1980

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
Huh, I thought it was beat back in 1980

Yea, and that was replaced with Morrison's voice back in 2004. So, in a sense, the NZ accent beats that version. Razz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Morrison's delivery for the replacement sucks. It's the one change that Lucas did to the OT that bothers me.

$5 says Daniel Logan dubs over it before all is said and done too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
Morrison's delivery for the replacement sucks. It's the one change that Lucas did to the OT that bothers me.

It makes him sound more "human". The old voice reminds me of TDK Batman... Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It also makes him sound like someone that is whining to Vader rather than someone that doesn't stand down to Vader. Wingreen had more character to his delivery than Morrison.

But then Vader doesn't sound human either. Maybe Hayden should dub that.

I forgot the origin of Jango's name:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The delivery of the original lines were better but for the voice on it's own, I like the new one better.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
The delivery of the original lines were better but for the voice on it's own, I like the new one better.

Eh, to each their own.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

It's been a long time since I've heard the original - and the replacement, too - and I was surprised by the voice. Not the delivery, the voice. It just sounded off. I prefer the Kiwi accent, too.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 2