With or Without the Big 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:48 am Reply with quote  

Way back before I read the NJO and was just starting with Zahn and KJA's books, I remember thinking I didn't have any interest in reading the NJO books because I thought they didn't have the movie characters in them. Of course by the time I'd read all the books up to the NJO, I had no issues with continuing. And now I don't have any issues whatsoever in reading books without the Big 3.

Not sure where the turning point was for me.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

For me the book either needs Luke or it needs Obi-Wan.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I'll keep reading stories with the Big Three, but I do think that the EU has gotten a bit too insular in recent years. I've said for a while that a bit more balance is needed to the restore a bit of grandeur to the post RotJ franchise.

The novel I'm most looking forward to in the next year? X-Wing: Mercy Kill by Aaron Allston. I think the EU could use more books like this, and I'm hoping this is just the first of many novels not centered around the Big Three and the Jedi

Again, I don't want Del Rey to stop writing Big Three books, I just want to see some other stories running alongside them.

"You know, on some worlds, it's a felony to wear an ewok as a swimsuit."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think one problem with the Big 3 books in terms of becoming insular is that the Legacy of the Force series and Fate of the Jedi series have almost completely abandoned almost a decade's worth of ancillary characters, and instead each author has his or her own pet characters that are used in supporting roles. I don't know why characters like Kyp Durron and Corran Horn, whom both seem to have been pretty influential within the Jedi Order, aren't given bigger roles in Fate of the Jedi, for instance.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'll agree with that. Although I enjoy stories about the Big Three, the best ones also give nice, rounded plots to more "minor" characters.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:37 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Crash Override wrote:
I don't know why characters like Kyp Durron and Corran Horn, whom both seem to have been pretty influential within the Jedi Order, aren't given bigger roles in Fate of the Jedi, for instance.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corran Horn- FotJ- why in the 9 Hells isn't his role larger- or a in his head POV on things. I mean his kids are crazy and we hardly see him and when we do he's sulking. Not that I mind his actions but I want more of him!

I could see a sequel to I, Jedi here: I, too, am Jedi

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I really wish I knew what went on behind the scenes. Jag Fel is given the sort of a role where he's a prominent character in most, if not all, the books of LOTF/FOTJ, but Kyp Durron, Corran Horn, Wedge Antilles, and all these other characters are given little if any time. And then in LOTF we had Boba Fett given equal time to the main characters in three novels, appear in the final one in a very small role, and be absent for the other five.

Is the reason why Jag is given prominence while earlier characters with equally established fanbases among readers aren't simply due to Jag being the significant other of one of the Solo-Skywalkers, whereas he would otherwise be on the cutting block in lieu of pet characters? Or is it a deliberate attempt to downplay Bantam characters?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
I could see a sequel to I, Jedi here: I, too, am Jedi

Laughing

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

LaneWinree wrote:
I'll keep reading stories with the Big Three, but I do think that the EU has gotten a bit too insular in recent years. I've said for a while that a bit more balance is needed to the restore a bit of grandeur to the post RotJ franchise.

The novel I'm most looking forward to in the next year? X-Wing: Mercy Kill by Aaron Allston. I think the EU could use more books like this, and I'm hoping this is just the first of many novels not centered around the Big Three and the Jedi

Again, I don't want Del Rey to stop writing Big Three books, I just want to see some other stories running alongside them.

This is how it was during the Bantam line, and also the NJO to an extent. I want to know what happens with the Big 3, but I also want to know what else is happening in the galaxy.

That's the problem with nine-book series, IMO. You never get to really break out and show what else is going on in the galaxy. Mark is right - we should have Corran's POV in FotJ. But we don't. I'm glad we've gotten Valin and Jysella and hope to god that they are explored further once they're cured.

In the NJO, we got books focused on different characters while still advancing the main plot. In Bantam, you had the big three storylines but you also had the X-wing books. All the trilogies and standalones introduced new characters. It seems that there's been new characters introduced, but none of them area really very important except for Ben Skywalker. Jag Fel should be much more important than he is - he should have his own book, not just a subplot in FotJ.

This is why I'm so glad that they are moving away from long series. I think FotJ could be a really interesting era if they focus on different plots/characters at a time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:10 am Reply with quote  

In LOTF they really messed up the pacing with the Boba Fett parts. I think that's why we don't see anything like that in FOTJ. None of the authors what to repeat Traviss' mistake, thus we don't have a Corran book like I, Jedi wedged in there. But there is also no reason an author can't come back and write a sequel to I, Jedi that takes place during FOTJ. There is a lot of space and plenty of scenes that could be elaborated on from Corran's point of view. We could see Corran fighting in a starfighter over Pydyr when the Jedi Stealth-X fleet arrived (Vortex). They could give us the POV of him and Mirax as they deal with their kids being crazy and then cured. They could show us what happened on Upekzar.

It's really just a matter of fan demand. If the fans let themselves be heard, Del Rey would certainly take such a thing into account.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I for one think that FotJ is a huge improvement over LotF in terms of giving non-Skywalker Jedi page time. Characters like Saba Sebatyne, the Horns, Seha , Kenth Hamner etc have had interesting subplots. Once FotJ is over I expect we will see stories told in the POV of the other characters.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I think of the FOTJ series as just one big book. Not nine books telling the same, over-arching, story, but one book split into nine segments. When I look at it like that, I don't mind so much that the story isn't as diverse as what you and I wanted, because it's still, at the heart of it all, a book about Luke and a certain group of characters. That others aren't in there is annoying, for me, as I love it when the minor characters get page time; however, the inclusion of minor characters we've already seen are integral to the plot. To have others shoe-horned in, I believe, would be too jarring.

Think of it like this: Have you read Deceived? Have you also read Fatal Alliance? The former is about a short, singular, almost self contained, story centring around one main character, and a small group - yet it didn't give the bigger picture of the galaxy around it; yet the latter gave us almost exactly the opposite. It had characters, but it was a bit more aloof - rather, not as close to - the characters within the story, yet provided the bigger picture. I view the FOTJ series as like Deceived. It focuses on the characters more than the bigger picture (though said picture is more prominent than in Deceived).
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Huh, I would say that Fate of the Jedi is more like Fatal Alliance. FOTJ is not really a character driven story at all, whereas Deceived is specifically about its character arcs. At the conclusion of Apocalypse, I'm not really sure any of the characters will be different people from the experience -- with possibly the exception of Vestara -- nor is it the focus of the story. Fatal Alliance is similarly more concerned with the big picture than it is with its individual characters changing over the course of the story. It did have one or two arcs, but they weren't the focus of the story like in Deceived, which was about Aryn and Malgus and how they changed as characters through the course of the story.

Speaking of Deceived and Fatal Alliance, I must say that neither book really stuck with me. I had to look up character names just to recall the characters, except for Malgus. But I couldn't tell you his real name without looking it up. Which is a problem with stories not featuring the Big 3. I honestly didn't come to care about any of the characters in either Fatal Alliance or Deceived. I care about Luke, Han, and Leia as characters. I cared about Jacen and Mara Jade as characters. I have to say that at this point I honestly don't really care about Ben as a character. I'm not really big on the father-son dynamic in FOTJ because it feels really forced and inorganic to me, as does his romance with Vestara.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I was talking more about the set up.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You think Ben and Luke's relationship is forced? How? Confused

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 2 of 6