The Politics Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote  

Jedi Joe wrote:
The government really shouldn't be ...starting wars

Just being devil's advocate here: while peace is preferable if the government isn't starting wars then who in the country becomes responsible for that?

Following that train of thought if the government can't start wars then it logically follows that maintaining a standing army (which the government lacks the authority to deploy) is a waste of cash. In turn that means we would have to disband the entire military which would in turn have massive negative impacts on the economy.

Again just being devil's advocate here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Well, the army (and other branches of the military) aren't used solely for wars, but peace-keeping efforts and humanitarian efforts, too. Not just that, but the Royal Navy patrols the oceans, working to eliminate the drug trade, by performing raids on drug smugglers and the like, as well as performing search and rescue (Prince William, for example, will be going on a tour to the Falkland Islands next year to work as a search and rescue helicopter pilot) and also to deal with hostage crisis'.

While some of these are aggressive conflicts, they're not out and out war.

What do you think of these Presidential candidates saying they're in support of water boarding?

Personally, if I was going to vote for them before, then I wouldn't do so after. I'm against using torture as a means of procuring intelligence. However, in extreme cases - where time is of the essence - I feel that torture would be acceptable, but only then. To call ourselves the more civilised country, and then to do this, means we lose our moral high ground. I remember, after 9/11, it seemed the entire world was in morning for the dead of those attacks, and sympathised a great deal for the US. But then we all seemed to recoil in horror again when the knowledge of Guantanamo Bay came to light, and quite a few lost their respect for the US government, I'm sad to say.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:44 am Reply with quote  

Life Is The Path wrote:
Well, the army (and other branches of the military) aren't used solely for wars, but peace-keeping efforts and humanitarian efforts, too. Not just that, but the Royal Navy patrols the oceans, working to eliminate the drug trade, by performing raids on drug smugglers and the like, as well as performing search and rescue (Prince William, for example, will be going on a tour to the Falkland Islands next year to work as a search and rescue helicopter pilot) and also to deal with hostage crisis'.

While some of these are aggressive conflicts, they're not out and out war.

I'll grant that there are other uses for the military other than full fledged war. I guess it comes down to how we define "war" since America hasn't formally declared war by an act of Congress in a long while (WWII was the last time Congress declared war I believe) but has deployed its military overseas to fight countless times (take "the War on Terror" for example, we call it a war but technically Congress never declared war on anyone).

In any event because of those crazy technicalities I was assuming that Jedi Joe was using "war" in the "War on Terror" sense of encompassing all forms of armed conflict our military takes part in that is beyond the US borders. If I'm mistaken I welcome Jedi Joe to explain what he meant.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

As far as Republican candidates go, I'd pick Romney over Gringrich. No cheaters, please.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Today, the Province of Ontario just finished a law that increased the consequences for bullying in schools.

Unfortunately, all it did was move the penalty up from suspension to expulsion. It doesn't solve the problem, just moves it to a different school.

How many more of our children have to die before the government realizes that bullying is a crime, and these bullies should be charged.

If anyone on these forums is being bullied in school (or knows someone who is), please speak out, and remember that It Gets Better.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Quote:
How many more of our children have to die before the government realizes that bullying is a crime, and these bullies should be charged.

Taral-DLOS, what type of charge--a misdemeanor or felony or what?

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Quote:

Good question. The moderate in me says start at misdemeanor, and if it doesn't solve anything, move it up.

The "nerd who was bullied as a kid" in me thinks it should get the death penalty.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Dancelittleewok wrote:
Quote:

Good question. The moderate in me says start at misdemeanor, and if it doesn't solve anything, move it up.

The "nerd who was bullied as a kid" in me thinks it should get the death penalty.

This is interesting. I've heard that the Ancient Persians discussed everything twice- once when they were sober, once when they were drunk. The results were totally different. Razz

For instance your 'drunk' reply is much more severe, than your 'sober' reply. I think I'd go with your 'sober' reply in this case. Wink Maybe I'm fuzzy on what kind of bullying we're talking about, but the death penalty seems very harsh.

Darth Skuldren wrote:
@Reep: The No Child Left Behind Act is a policy where schools are not allowed to flunk kids and make them repeat a school year, thus falling behind their peers. Instead, all teachers are required to spend extra time in mediation to help the kids that fall behind in order to improve their grades and help them pass their tests.

I'm not sure I agree with this Act. Letting slackers or not-too-bright people (hey, I'm being as gentle as I can! Wink ) graduate with honours seems a dangerous idea to me. It's obvious they're not getting there on their own steam, thus they are undeserving of their marks. Next thing you know we have Jar Jar Binks in charge of Missile Control. Or operating on you. Confused

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote  

Well when I got bullied in school, you either toughed it out or fought back. A good sweep kick can startle and defuse a situation. But now days things are just messed up. Parents can't step in because of lawsuits and nanny states. Kids can't just tough it out cause people get way too violent it seems like. Always some idiot who wants to bring a gun into the mess. And that is always the fault of the parents. Parents seem to be the origin of the issue. There's not really a good way to solve it either, not that I know of. Some people are just too stupid and lazy to be parents.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ The problem is, people aren't parents. Teachers are. Rolling Eyes

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I don't know if it's this way in Canada, but in the US a jeuvenile's record is completely wiped clean when they become a legal adult. I think that's part of the problem. Even if the penalty for bullying gets bumped up, smart kids figure out that they can pretty much do whatever they want without having to worry about future consequences.
“Actually, I don’t quite recall. But I was made, so the existence of my maker is beyond question. And since I consider my existence to be a good thing, he was without a doubt benevolent and forward thinking.”
~Allana Solo and C-3PO

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:

For instance your 'drunk' reply is much more severe, than your 'sober' reply. I think I'd go with your 'sober' reply in this case. Maybe I'm fuzzy on what kind of bullying we're talking about, but the death penalty seems very harsh.

I was exaggerating with the death penalty thing. I just mean it needs to be more severe than it is.

@Jaina, I'm not sure about juvenile records here. I agree that in general kids should be forgiven for a bit of stupidity, but wiping it clean is too harsh.

Mayhap there should be a midline? When you turn 18, erase everything from when you were 14 or younger? If you didn't learn that bullying is wrong before age 15, then you deserve to keep records of your juvenile delinquency on file for the rest of your life.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I knew not to kill anyone when I was a kid so I don't think records should be wiped personally.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Maybe just wipe the record of minor infractions, then?

EDIT: Forgot to add my little gripe about politics.

As you may know, things aren't going all that great for the EU (the political union, not the SWEU), and we'd been given 10 days to come up with a new treaty to save the EU, otherwise a lot of countries could dip into another recession. The end of that 10 day period is today. Unfortunately, our Prime Minister is an idiot. I'm quite serious. There was a minority of 70-80 MPs calling for a referendum on our staying in the EU, and he essentially bowed to this lot, by stating that if his demands for more powers given (back) to Britain, he'd veto the treaty and not sign it. He refused to sign it. Now, I know, the PM has to stick up for our interests, and keep some independence, but we export 40% to the EU, and do more than half our trading with the EU. And he's risked us being cut off from that completely. On top of that, his plan of making extensive cuts to, well, everything, is doomed. I know this because he's following the same steps the US government did back in the Great Depression, which made things worse for the US economy. Back then, we did the opposite, and injected money into our economy (though this was done because a war was looming, but it still worked) and saved the economy.

Okay, so that's my little rant.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
Maybe just wipe the record of minor infractions, then?

Maybe, but I don't think so. There would probably be a decrease in youth crimes if they weren't wiped clean. I think this law underestimates children and teens. I guess I can only speak for myself, but I knew not to rob a convenience store or assault anyone when I was a kid. It's not like you get magically endowed with morality when you turn 18.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 5 of 40