The Politics Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Aaaaand these are all the reasons I stay out of this thread. Its not about discussing what would be better, its about side against side with no middle ground. So I watch. I interject here merely as observation.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Autobon wrote:
Fortunately, only about 10% of PBS funding comes from the Government, but don't tell Obama that - it might ruin his debate distraction! Kind of sad that the Sesame Street remark is an actual talking point for Democrats. Can we say, "sore losers?"

Cerrinea wrote:
See, the "sore Losers" remark is exactly what Life is referring. It's derogatory and unnecessary to any response you make.

I find it hilarious that you were not even remotely fazed by the picture someone posted of Mitt Romney killing Big Bird - complete with a satisfied smile on his face. Instead you skipped that post, my entire point, and went straight for my tone. Wink

People would be a lot more inclined to agree with your criticism if it were not constantly targeted at one specific individual. The last time I checked, rules were supposed to apply to everyone. Right?

-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Autobon wrote:
I find it hilarious that you were not even remotely fazed by the picture someone posted of Mitt Romney killing Big Bird - complete with a satisfied smile on his face. Instead you skipped that post, my entire point, and went straight for my tone. Wink

People would be a lot more inclined to agree with your criticism if it were not constantly targeted at one specific individual. The last time I checked, rules were supposed to apply to everyone. Right?

-

Does this ignoring the post and attacking the poster usually work for you, Autobon? Cause it's not working with me. I see you've twice now evaded addressing the tone of your posts.

And I actually thought the Big Bird-Romney image was funny (it's called irony) so I didn't feel the need to address what for me is a non-issue.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
I see you've twice now evaded addressing the tone of your posts.

Life expressed his disappointment at the fact that I tend to focus on Democratic politicians, and challenged me to do the same with Republicans - a request that has everything to do with the subject of my posts and nothing to do with my tone. I responded back and gave my reason for declining.

I am now going to step down and let a moderator handle this, as I sense the conversation is going nowhere. With much respect to you Cerrinea, I will not respond on this issue again.

-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Aaaaand these are all the reasons I stay out of this thread. Its not about discussing what would be better, its about side against side with no middle ground.

The conservative/republican vs. liberal/democrat bickering annoys me too. Not necessarily on here, but in general (not the least of which during political debates Rolling Eyes ). Republicans/conservatives strike me as people stuck in traditions without questioning them and democrats/liberals strike me as people who worship progress and change without questioning it (note: I'm talking about extreme cases, this isn't directed at anyone here). I don't choose a position based on whether it's traditional or progressive but on whether it's right or wrong. Notice how my results were nearly a three way tie between Republican, Conservative, and Green. Wink

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Aaaaand these are all the reasons I stay out of this thread. Its not about discussing what would be better, its about side against side with no middle ground.

The conservative/republican vs. liberal/democrat bickering annoys me too. Not necessarily on here, but in general (not the least of which during political debates Rolling Eyes ). Republicans/conservatives strike me as people stuck in traditions without questioning them and democrats/liberals strike me as people who worship progress and change without questioning it (note: I'm talking about extreme cases, this isn't directed at anyone here). I don't choose a position based on whether it's traditional or progressive but on whether it's right or wrong. Notice how my results were nearly a three way tie between Republican, Conservative, and Green. Wink

Its amazing that no one can look for middle ground. I got in an argument with a super-conservative friend of mine who votes based on religion, so of course since he's the hardcore unfortunate Christian stereotype he and I were arguing over whether or not homosexuality is something to vote over. He's homophobic (and I mean bloody scared of the idea) but I asked him how people being gay affected his life. He couldn't answer. I asked the same question of a straight liberal friend and they had no answer either, they didn't even have gay friends. People vote based on things that have nothing to do with them, but if we focused on our own specifics our whole governmental system would change.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:47 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Autobon wrote:
Cerrinea wrote:
I see you've twice now evaded addressing the tone of your posts.

Life expressed his disappointment at the fact that I tend to focus on Democratic politicians, and challenged me to do the same with Republicans - a request that has everything to do with the subject of my posts and nothing to do with my tone. I responded back and gave my reason for declining.

I am now going to step down and let a moderator handle this, as I sense the conversation is going nowhere. With much respect to you Cerrinea, I will not respond on this issue again.

-

We mods are indeed watching.

In this most recent case tone and subject are closely tied for many readers me thinks. As in I think the subject determines the tone for those reading it. (something everyone would do well to remember before posting in the Grove. The Grove is the MOST CONTROVERSIAL of our threads. The ones that border being locked cause all they really are are opportunities for explosive interactions, as well as enlightening debate. For now I leave you with this- if you're upset/angry about a comment- don't respond now- wait- calm yourself, address it from a Jedi place... .not a Sith one.

But stepping down and not responding on the issue in this case is a good thing. Help to put out some of the potential fire. Everyone's a little more tense than normal.

And rightfully so. Anytime the figurehead of our country is about to possibly change it can be a scary time. and politicians being politicians, it's no surprise that we take things a lilttle more personal than normal.

With that said: We're watching Mizlowski... always watching.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:49 am Reply with quote  

I do have an observation I'd like to make. I regularly check the Facebook and Twitter feeds of a lot of Star Wars artists and writers. If any of them are Republican, they are certainly quite about it. Most of them are Democratic or supportive of the Democrats. A couple of them are a wee bit extreme, and one of them is down right offensive.

Now I lean Republican, and I really like some of these authors, and I have absolutely no ill will toward them and their political opinions. Some of their commentary is of a more humorous nature. But some of the stuff they say grates on me, and with it being election time, it's been grating on me quite a bit. I try my best to ignore it and shove it all in a box in some forgotten corner of my mind.

Again, mostly just an observation, but I can't help but wonder what they're thinking when they say the things they do. I'm a very open minded person, and its my understanding that both sides have flaws and appealing qualities which are equally matched. In my way of thinking, it's not about a right or wrong choice, it's a matter of making your preference known. You may think a certain candidate is right or wrong, but isn't that merely a reflection of your personal preferences on various issues?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Its amazing that no one can look for middle ground. I got in an argument with a super-conservative friend of mine who votes based on religion, so of course since he's the hardcore unfortunate Christian stereotype he and I were arguing over whether or not homosexuality is something to vote over. He's homophobic (and I mean bloody scared of the idea) but I asked him how people being gay affected his life. He couldn't answer. I asked the same question of a straight liberal friend and they had no answer either, they didn't even have gay friends. People vote based on things that have nothing to do with them, but if we focused on our own specifics our whole governmental system would change.

I always feel like extreme conservatives and liberals lack the ability to think for themselves. They're just following mantras they're told to follow. Confused

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You know what the best thing about the quiz was imo.
at the bottom where it says:
Because of you, 0 people have taken this quiz.Razz

Haven't been following politics (or news) for a year or so, so this took me by surprise.

Gary Johnson 92% (idk who he is)
Jill Stein 74% (idk who she is)
Mitt Romney 64%
Barack Obama 58%
American Voters 61%

79% Democrat
78% Green
62% Libertarian
46% Republican

This short online thingies, will never be a true indikator of ones personal belief imo.

Reepicheep wrote:
I always feel like extreme conservatives and liberals lack the ability to think for themselves. They're just following mantras they're told to follow. Confused

I think this is true. And sad.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hogy wrote:
This short online thingies, will never be a true indikator of ones personal belief imo.

True, it's not completely accurate, but it's comparing your views with the views of the candidates, so it is reliable to a degree. There is a margin of error, though, of course.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

_

Pretty funny parody of the debate - http://www.hulu.com/watch/409936?playlist_id=1157

I believe the video is region locked, so sorry for those outside the US.

-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Man, that test really made me realize how I hate all of the candidates, even the one that was most like me was still way off.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Obama has been campaigning on the Sesame Street remark for the past week, and Romney released some great statements.

- "You have to scratch your head when the president spends the last week talking about saving Big Bird," he said. "I actually think we need to have a president who talks about saving the American people and saving good jobs."

- “The choice in this election is becoming more clear each day. Four years ago, President Obama said that if you don’t have a record to run on, ‘you make a big election about small things.’ With 23 million people struggling for work, incomes falling and gas prices soaring, Americans deserve more from their president.”

Lol.

-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote  

FYI: Meditation Grove rules have been updated. Make sure to read them over before posting.

Link: Update Meditation Grove Rules

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 31 of 40