Streaming, Smart TVs and the Internet....HELP ME!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
Streaming, Smart TVs and the Internet....HELP ME!
 PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't understand how technology works.

Actually, I totally do understand how technology works from a mechanical standpoint, which is to me the meaning of both "technology" and "works." But there's also the application and use and general social phenomenon of technology, and that's what I don't really get.

I was a kid during the boom of the Personal Computer era. When I was a teenager I built a computer and surfed the 'net, as we called it, with a dial up modem. I was the first generation to grow up with the internet and that's why it's so baffling that this has apparently passed me by and become something that I don't recognize today.

I can kind of understand Smart TVs. The whole point of a Smart TV is that it just has built in Chromecast/Roku/ online media streaming, right?

I Googled "Why stream to TV?" It came up with many websites telling me HOW to stream to TV and absolutely none answering my question. Apparently no one has bothered to ask that question.

I'm asking you, why would anyone want to stream to their TV? I don't think it needs to be said, but for clarification, "streaming" in this meaning is using one device to broadcast wirelessly onto another. E.G., from your computer to your TV.

First of all, why stream wirelessly at all? Why not just plug your computer into your TV? If your TV can broadcast wirelessly it can also support a wired connection. You don't need a streaming device, let alone a smart TV.

Since your already on your computer doing the thing that you are doing, why do you then need it to be connected to your TV?

Ok, so maybe your computer monitor is small or you have a laptop and your TV is nice and big. I get that...but just plug your computer into your TV.

I think I know the real reason, which is that people don't have computers anymore, they just have phones.

But go back to the core question, why do you want to connect your computer to your TV at all? It must be because there is something that is on your computer that isn't on your TV through your DVD player or cable/satellite, right?

I didn't start this off to go on a rant, but I guess that's where this is going. I'm not sure that I'm the one that has grown out of touch with technology, but that the meaning of it has changed. The meaning of the internet has changed.

Today the internet is a broadcast medium through wireless antenna or fiber optic cable. It's the fastest way to broadcast information. But back in my day the internet was the slowest form of all digital broadcasting. The "internet" wasn't the medium, it was the media. The whole point of the internet was people connecting to each other and sharing information.

The Telecommunications companies have changed the meaning of the internet because they don't want the real internet. That's why they are trying to get rid of Net Neutrality. They want it to be just like TV and radio, where media conglomerates just broadcast content directly to you and you engage with it in a passive manner, instead of people sharing and creating their own content.

That's what all these stupid "smart" phones and TVs are about. They're prepackaged hardware with preprogrammed software that you can't modify or write your own code for, because they don’t want you having that control.

It just really depresses me. That’s how everything in the world is going more and more. Everything is completely being controlled, usually just so that giant companies can make money off of it. And no one really wants that. They don’t like being controlled, so they get these paint by numbers “choices”, and told, “No. See you get a choice. You have the freedom.” But it’s not freedom if you don’t get to decide the choices that you can make and you don’t get to actually engage in your own life and your own world around you.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Where's the LIKE button? I want to use the LIKE button!!!!

Re: Streaming, Smart TVs and the Internet....HELP ME!
 PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote  

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

But go back to the core question, why do you want to connect your computer to your TV at all? It must be because there is something that is on your computer that isn't on your TV through your DVD player or cable/satellite, right?

I can only speak for myself but I suspect it's because it economically saves on hardware. Many computers have DVD players on them (save tablets or really small, portable laptops) and most cable services like HBO are creating standalone subscriptions you can have without having a cable subscription.

Back in the day you needed all the separate hardware (DVD/VHS player, cable box etc) + telecom provider plans to get the maximum content for your TV. Computers now are must haves for just about everything in our lives (especially with finding work since so many jobs are only are posted online, at least if you're looking at Masters/PhD level jobs). So we mostly all have computers now and entertainment providers now have enough web options that all you need now is internet + a computer and you can basically get access to all of that content you used to need all sorts of hardware (that you may have to rent from your cable provider) and telecom subscription packages for.

This I speak from my own life where I specifically chose to cut down on household expenses by not getting an expensive cable TV package since I can get things much more economically by just having my internet, computer, and subscriptions to things like Hulu or HBO when they have something I want to watch.

I suspect anyway that that is the impetus for the whole smart TV and streaming to your TV. TV manufacturers realized they could get ahead of their competition by offering those smart TV and streaming features to their customers and then it snowballed to become standard features.

I think this all leads to your bit on Net Neutrality though. I'm guessing here but I suspect ISPs realize that the younger generations are saving money by ditching the expensive cable + internet packages. No Net Neutrality gives them some leverage to make up for lost revenue (by going all Mafia style on content providers "such nice webcontent you have, be a shame if something were to happen to it's accessibility..." *) along with the rest of your suggestion on how it stifles creation. Cynical perhaps but these are ISPs we're talking about which are probably the one thing humanity has come closest to unanimously agreeing to despise.**

*In my mind's eye I will also think of Mafia protection racket references in the sense of the Monty Python sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZKUozrBl4

**Mosquitoes and poison ivy probably being in a dead heat for title to "thing humanity agrees is terrible by a margin of 100%"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

There is definitely something to be said for simplicity, even if it might come at the expense of creativity.

Maybe that's the generational thing, or just my personality. When I want to do something I try to make something work from the things that I already have, whereas other people might want to just go out and get the latest thing that has what they want all in one, if they can.

I like new things, but I don't like new things if they do what can already be done with an old thing or two.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So I cut the cable cord some years ago. All I watch TV-wise is Youtube, Netflix, and things I own on DVD/Blu-Ray.

I don't have a SmartTV, but my PS3 serves the purpose. It has Youtube and Netflix apps.

The PS3 connects to wi-fi and lets me stream TV shows and movies via the mechanisms I have chosen to do so (Youtube and Netflix; I don't stream illegally).

I want to actually challenge one of your assumptions, that "streaming" is definitionally "using one device to broadcast wirelessly onto another. E.G., from your computer to your TV".

Smart TVs, or things that turn your TV into a Smart TV (like a PS3/4, XBox 360/One, Wii U, any number of Wifi-enabled Blu-Ray players, etc.) are essentially computers. They connect to your wifi directly. You aren't using your separate computer for anything.

There are many good reasons to use your TV's built-in computer, in place of a proper computer. For me, the best reason is because I want to be comfortable on my couch and watch a movie or Youtube video on a big screen, and not sitting in my computer chair.

As for why not plug your computer into your TV? In a way I have, by either having a computer built-in, or having some other peripheral. Why not use my desktop? Why should I use my desktop? Plus, it might be in another room, or far enough away that wiring is impractical. Plus then you need to use your keyboard and mouse to select programming, instead of more comfortable options.

I for one enjoy the option to search for Youtube videos on my iPad and having them play on my TV. Handheld keyboard, but visible on a large screen. This is good when I'm trying to show other people something like a movie trailer.

I for one don't want/need the control of reprogramming my smart devices. I use my devices for specific purposes. I use my TV and the PS3 plugged into it to watch Youtube and Netflix comfortably and with my family and friends. Giving me access to the code is not helpful or interesting to me.

I take your point that this form of streaming isn't for you. It does work for me though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taking issue with my definition seems a little nit picky. I only said that so people would know the specific situation I am talking about, not that I believe that is the primary meaning of the term. In fact, the broad use of the term was what made me feel the need to give a definition in the first place.

I mainly use my Ps4 for media and what made me look into this whole thing was my annoyance at the lack of content that is available, for seemingly no good reason, that is easily available on my computer, and I don't mean pirated content.

For instance on the AMC website you can watch almost all of their shows, but the website was made by some idiot who thinks that it's 1998 and it uses adobe flash. The Ps4 can't play adobe flash because it's doesn't come preloaded and it doesn't allow you to add programs to it. So in order to use a device for it's intended purpose, to view content that is free and publicly available, I have to illegally pirate it. That's just stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Taking issue with my definition seems a little nit picky. I only said that so people would know the specific situation I am talking about, not that I believe that is the primary meaning of the term. In fact, the broad use of the term was what made me feel the need to give a definition in the first place.

I mainly use my Ps4 for media and what made me look into this whole thing was my annoyance at the lack of content that is available, for seemingly no good reason, that is easily available on my computer, and I don't mean pirated content.

For instance on the AMC website you can watch almost all of their shows, but the website was made by some idiot who thinks that it's 1998 and it uses adobe flash. The Ps4 can't play adobe flash because it's doesn't come preloaded and it doesn't allow you to add programs to it. So in order to use a device for it's intended purpose, to view content that is free and publicly available, I have to illegally pirate it. That's just stupid.

Ah yes, ok. That makes sense.

I thought you were referring to streaming generally, but then narrowly defined your terms (which I disagree is nitpicky; defining our terms is crucial for a good discussion, and I didn't understand why you chose that definition, but now I do). All that I could think of was "But...you can easily stream without a computer. I do it every day." But you know that, you're talking about needing a computer to stream the things that other devices won't allow.

That sucks, man.

I get a bit annoyed when the TV shows I want to watch are only available on a Netflix competitor. Like the new Star Trek: Discovery is on Netflix everywhere except the US and Canada (CBS-owned paid streaming service in US; Bell-owned paid streaming service in Canada). So the current plan is to stream on a Netflix app when I'm next in Europe for work lol.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 1 of 1