Star Wars The Clone Wars Knowledge Center

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Wars The Clone Wars Knowledge Center
 PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote  

Here is where EUC will keep you up-to-date with all the known facts for The Clone Wars series and movie. Spoilers are below, so please read at your own risk. If you have any facts you'd like to include, please feel free to shoot us an e-mail to:

staff@eucantina.net

The thread is separated into several different sections: Story & Plot, Facts: General, Facts: Characters & Plot, and Facts: Miscellaneous, Season 1, Season2. Enjoy!

Story & Plot
Quote:
As the Clone Wars sweep through the galaxy, the heroic Jedi Knights struggle to maintain order and restore peace. More and more systems are falling prey to the forces of the dark side as the Galactic Republic slips further and further under the sway of the Separatists and their never-ending droid army.

Anakin Skywalker and his Padawan learner Ahshoka Tano find themselves on a mission with far-reaching consequences, one that brings them face-to-face with crime lord Jabba the Hutt. But Count Dooku and his sinister agents, including the nefarious Asajj Ventress, will stop at nothing to ensure that Anakin and Ashoka fail at their quest.
--starwars.com on the Clone Wars theatrical release

The Clone Wars will be set in between Episode II and Episode III and will span the entire length of the Clone Wars. The theatrical release will focus heavily on Anakin and Obi Wan while the series will undergo a much broader scope. In fact the series will not focus on Anakin but instead each episode will stand on its own and cover a wide range of stories. Some will focus on particular Jedi while others will be nothing but clone troopers. Producer Catherine Winder revealed that the a lot of the stories are going to dive into the characters, revealing who they are, their motivations, their fears, etc. The shows are going to force viewers to think, to try and get behind the characters and what is going on.

Another note about the series is its nonlinear approach. Some stories will be stand alone, while others will have sequels, and some will even have prequels. The way they're handling the series, people will be able to jump in at any point and still be able to follow what's going on and enjoy it.

The new series will be far more realistic than the previous Clone Wars cartoon. They're striving to make this dramatic animation and storytelling rather than a cartoon. Plus they are paying big attention to continuity.

Dave Filoni reemphasizes the importance the series will place on story telling. Characters like Plo Koon and other Jedi Masters will be looked at in detail in short series arcs. Plus the clone troopers themselves will play a huge role. The series will go in to show the personalities of the clones as individuals rather than brainwashed masses. They'll be deserters, betrayers, and others.

Filoni compares the new series with the Star Wars Tales Comics, a very story driven, character driven series.

Facts: General
Each episode will be a half hour long (22 minute run time). They will be using CGI animation with a bit of Japanese anime influence on the characters. There will be 100 episodes at least. They will be directed by Dave Filoni who has worked on Avatar:The Last Airbender.

The show's producer, Catherine Winder, has worked on Ice Age, Aeon Flux, and Spawn. Previously she did most of her work in Japan and animation.

We've also been reassured of George Lucas' involvement. He drops in once or up to three times a week to see how things are going and to help out. Best yet, he's pushing the creators to explore the Star Wars universe, bringing in new concepts and plenty of surprises.

George Lucas has actually taken the time to write some scripts and plot outlines for several episodes along with helping direct everyone else. Another big impression he has made on the stories is character development. In fact so much has gone into this that production has actually slowed down.

Kilian Plunket, a character designer for The Clone Wars series has done work for the Aliens, Droids, and Tales comics, designing covers and working with the artwork. For The Clone Wars he has designed Mace Windu and Palpatine plus a little bit of everything else.

In an interview with TV Guide, George Lucas talked about Indiana Jones and advice for aspiring filmmakers. In the second section, Lucas shares information on the new Clone Wars animated series.

Quote:
"Unfortunately, it doesn't fall into the realm of what animation [typically] is, which is either adult, kind of off-color humor or kiddie stuff. This is, like Star Wars, sort of in between those two things. It's a lot of battle stuff, and it's obviously the Clone Wars, so it's a war picture. So it's kind of a PG-13 animated TV series, which is something that has never been done before and obviously doesn't fit in any of the conventional slots that these things fall into. In that, it's very different, and I think it's very exciting. It's got a very, very sophisticated look to it. It's very much like the features. We're still trying to figure out how to put it on the air."

Facts: Characters & Actors
Anthony Daniels as C-3PO
Ashley Eckstein as Ahsoka Tano (Anakin's apprentice)
Seth Green
Tom Kane as Yoda (voiced C3-PO in Star Wars: Robot Chicken, also voiced Yoda for the old Clone Wars cartoons, was Master Vandare in KOTOR I & II)
Matthew Wood as General Grievous and the battle droids (who was the voice of Grievous in Episode III)
Catherine Taber as Padmé Amidala (also did voice for Princess Leia in The Force Unleashed, Mission Vao in KOTOR
Jar Jar Binks
Corey Burton as Dooku
Echo
Boba Fett
Kit Fisto
Nute Gunray Tom Kenny
Hevy
James Arnold Taylor as Obi-Wan Kenobi (also did Obi-Wan for Battlefront II, Episode II the video game, the old Clone Wars cartoon
Plo Koon
Ian Abercrombie as Palpatine
R2-D2
R4-P17
Rotta the Hutt "Stinky": Jabba's son
Matt Lanter as Anakin Skywalker (plays Will, the lead in Disaster Movie)
Wat Tambor
Jabba Desilijic Tiure
Nika Futterman as Asajj Ventress (also voiced Raging Raven in Metal Gear Solid 4)
Terrence Carson as Mace Windu
Dee Bradley Baker as Captain Rex, Commander Cody, and the Clone Troopers (he played the voice of Gravemind in Halo 2 & Halo 3, General RAAM in Gears of War, voice for Daffy Duck and Taz in Space Jam)

Facts: Miscellaneous

*The New York Times has a new interview with George Lucas covering the Clone Wars. Check it out here The article gives a nice overview of the whole subject, from its birth all the way up to the new feature film. Mr. Lucas even mentioned that he's already working on the second and third season of the series.

Source: www.nytimes.com

*Over at scorenotes.com there is an interview with the Clone Wars composer, Kevin Kiner that you can listen to here

Source: theforce.net

*Episodes of the Clone Wars are available on iTunes for $1.99 and episode or $39.99 for the whole season (22 episodes). Plus there is a half hour behind the scenes making of the Clone Wars available for free download. Just visit www.iTunes.com for more details.

Also, all episodes will be available for online streaming at www.starwars.com and www.cartoonnetwork.com one week after each air date. Thus starting October 10 the two premier episodes will be available for viewing for free.

Starwars.com and iTunes is also offering a free podcast that will contain details and secrets on the Clone Wars. Also free.

Lastly there is also a free online comic for the Clone Wars available at starwars.com that will introduce each episode.

So enjoy all the free stuff!

Sources: www.starwars.com, www.cartoonnetwork.com, www.theforce.net

*The Clone Wars feature film will be released on DVD and Blu-Ray in Australia December 17, 2008. The Clone Wars series will also be debuting on Australian TV (Network Ten) on November 22, at noon.

Article: http://www.theforce.net/swtv/story/The_Clone_Wars_Australia_News_118423.asp
Source: www.theforce.net

And for those of you overseas, starwars.com has a page for international broadcasters. You can check it out here. It's just a list of the channels for each country that it's playing on.

Interviews
Matt Lanter, the voice actor for Anakin in the Clone Wars, has a new interview here. PopEater Interview. IGN Interview.
IGN interview about Season 2.
Tom Kenny, the voice of Nute Gunray. Check it out here.
Steve Melching, one of the writers for the Clone Wars. Check it out here.
Cat Taber, the voice of Padme Amidala, speaks out in a new Starwars.com interview. Check it out here.
Dee Bradley Baker, voice actor of the clones. Check out his interview here.
Olivia d'Abo, voice actor for Luminara Unduli. Check out her interview here.
James Marsters, voice actor of Captain Argyus. Check out his interview here.
Nika Futterman, the voice actress for Asajj Ventress. Check it out her interview here.
Dave Filoni's Season 1 IGN Interview
Randy Bantog, concept designer for the series. Interview.
Ashley Eckstein, voice actress for Ahsoka. Newsarama interview.

Commentaries
Destroy Malevolence: Dave Filoni comments on the introduction of trains to the Stars Wars EU.
Shadow of Malevolence: Dave Filoni comments on designing the Malevolence, from concept art to old school redesign.
Rising Malevolence: on Plo Koon, his voice and outlook.
Ambush: creating a new landscape, the coral moon.

Season 1
*Clone Wars Season 1 Box Set Trailer -> at starwars.com

Season 2
*Clone Wars Season 2 Preview -> at G4tv.com
*New Blog on expanding the designs of the Clone Wars -> at starwars.com
*For our Canadian members, Teletoon will be airing the Clone Wars this fall starting with Season 1 on Monday September 7 at 5:30 PM, and will be showing Season 2 as well. Check out the full details here.
*New Blog on Starwars.com featuring the Clone Wars Comic Con Panel (Dave Filoni, Tom Kane, Dee Bradley Baker, and James Arnold Taylor). They do a Q&A that covers different areas of voice acting and some other topics. Check out the full article here.

Article: Comic-Con 2009: Clone Wars Voice Actors in Action
Source: www.starwars.com

Article: Hello Star Wars See You Later 6TEEN, TELETOON Fall Launch
Source: channelcanada.com

Fox2 News St. Louis interviewed Ashley Eckstein, the voice actress for Ahsoka Tano. She talks here about the show and her husband who is a baseball player.

Click here to watch it.

Source: starwars.com and www.fox2now.com
Article: Back In St. Louis: Ashley Eckstein Talks Clone Wars And Baseball

Plus Ahmed Best updated his twitter page with a tweet revealing that he worked on a new episode of the Clone Wars. You can click here to go to Ahmed's twitter page.

Source: theforce.net
Article: Ahmed Best Returns To The Clone Wars

And finally wired.com did an interview with Cad Bane (yes the character, not the voice actor) which you can read here.

Source: wired.com
Article: Bounty Hunter Cad Bane Brings Pain in Season 2 of Clone Wars

Seth Green did an interview on starwars.com on his new, upcoming role as a droid named Todo 360 in season 2 of The Clone Wars. His character will be Cad Bane's droid. It's a short interview but you can read it here.

Article: Seth Green's Droid Debut in The Clone Wars
Source: starwars.com

Also there's some concept art for season two on io9's website here.

Article: Space Battles and Alien Lairs in Star Wars Concept Art
Source: io9.com

Starwars.com interviews with Jaime King and Meredith Salenger, the voice actresses for Ione and Cassie in "Lightsaber Lost," with some pretty good Q&A.

http://starwars.com/theclonewars/news20100122.html

Article: Jaime King and Meredith Salenger: Thick as Thieves
Site: starwars.com

Remember to post all comments here: http://www.eucantina.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=133

[Note: This thread is for informative purposes only. Please post comments in the separate thread for the Clone Wars TV show. Thank You.]

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Last edited by Darth Skuldren on Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:21 pm; edited 48 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote  

Phil Lamar, voice actor for Senator Organa and Jedi Master Kit Fisto, did an interview on newsarama where he revealed that the Clone Wars will be taking a darker turn very soon. I eagerly await.

Source: www.newsarama
Article: FUTURAMA's Return w/ Hermes Himself, (& STAR WARS Too)
Link: http://www.newsarama.com/tv/Lamarr-Futurama-Star-Wars-100209.html

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Droid Poppers
 PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I have a general question with regards to technology in TCW. I asked the question before on TOS, but since I would like some more ideas/information/input, I would like to ask it here again.

After again watching Duel of the Droids and Innocents of Ryloth where "droid poppers" were used with great success against both B1 battle droids and B2 super battle droids, I began to wonder: since these EMP-grenades are capable of affecting different sized droids and effectively shutting them down, what would their effect be, or how effective would they prove to be, against a cyborg like
Grievous? And why hasn't anyone ever tried throwing one at him? He doesn't have Force abilities with which to deflect it at a distance, and the grenades also seem to have a wide area of effect, so why not use it? The cables are proving ineffective at restraining him.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Still a good question. I would assume it would fry his body, but he could probably survive.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:38 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: A floating diamond which no-one really seems to acknowledge

I'm thinking organics are also affected by EMPs.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:42 am Reply with quote  

Thinking about Grievous too much never produces good results. His character has many flaws that, to my knowledge, have never been fully addressed. I mean how can a non-Force sensitive cyborg slay dozens of Jedi in lightsaber combat? I don't care how good he is in combat, all a Jedi has to do is Force push him. Grievous has zero defense for negating Force attacks. Jedi should just be able to pick him off the ground and throw him around. They could snatch the lightsabers out of his hands, deactivate them, and if they wanted to push the boundaries of the Dark Side, they could simply crush him.

That aside, EMP grenades would theoretically work, and it should make it fairly easy to take Grievous out. Then again, EMP grenades should theoretically work on Vader's suit as well. Deactivating their robotic life support systems would kill them. Since this hasn't been done, and because it would make them way too vulnerable, I'd hazard a guess that they've got some sort of high tech defense mechanism that shields them from EMP attacks.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think a plausible reason that the clones never use "droid poppers" on Grievous is because he's quicker thinking than droids. Droids are are slow-thinking so they are vulnerable to an attack like that, but Grievous can avoid it easily enough. Think about when a grenade is thrown at a good guy; they jump out of the way. Grievous probably would too.

Although I can't think of any good reason why Jedi can't pin Grievous to the ground with the Force. Confused

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Thank you all so much, I love these ideas, and they have given me a lot to think about. I never thought of the Vader-angle before either!
And I completely agree with using Force abilities against Grievous. If I remember correctly, in TCW Obi-Wan has used the Force-push against Grievous on two occasions, and it worked perfectly everytime.
So yes, like Darth Skuldren said, perhaps I shouldn't think too much about the General Grievous.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Could someone give me a complete rundown on what episodes form trilogies or duologies? I've got most of them figured out, but there's some I'm not sure about. For example "Cloak of Darkness/Lair of Greivous" and "Jedi Crash/Defenders of Peace." Are these duologies?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The list I made below separates episodes by arc size. This includes "formal" arcs (a trilogy of episodes following each other) and "informal" arcs (e.g. a trilogy of episodes that are linked, but scattered in terms of their airdates).

Season 1: Default
Season 2: Red
Season 3: Cyan
Season 4: Green

Standalones:
-Trespass
-Lightsaber Lost
-Bounty Hunters
-Sphere of Influence
-Shadow Warrior

Duologies:
-Downfall of a Droid, Duel of the Droids
-Dooku Captured, The Gungan General
-Jedi Crash, Defenders of Peace
-Blue Shadow Virus, Mystery of a Thousand Moons
-Grievous Intrigue, The Deserter
-Corruption, The Academy
-The Zillo Beast, The Zillo Beast Strikes Back
-Padawan Lost, Wookiee Hunt
-Mercy Mission, Nomad Droids

Trilogies:
-Rising Malevolence, Shadow of Malevolence, Destroy Malevolence
-Clone Cadets, Rookies, ARC Troopers
-Bombad Jedi, Cloak of Darkness, Lair of Grievous
-Cat and Mouse, The Hidden Enemy, The Clone Wars movie
-Holocron Heist, Cargo of Doom, Children of the Force
-The Mandalore Plot, Voyage of Temptation, Duchess of Mandalore (very tenuous link to Corruption/The Academy. above)
-Heroes on Both Sides, Pursuit of Peace, Senate Murders (weak link between first two and Senate Murders)
-Death Trap, R2 Come Home, Lethal Trackdown (tenuous link to Assassin/et al, below)
-Nightsisters, Monster, Witches of the Mist (link to future S4 episodes too)
-Overlords, Altar of Mortis, Ghosts of Mortis
-The Citadel, Counterattack, Citadel Rescue
-Water War, Gungan Attack, Prisoners

Tetrologies:
-Assassin, Evil Plans, Hostage Crisis, Hunt for Ziro

Quintologies:
-Supply Lines, Ambush, Storm Over Ryloth, Innocents of Ryloth, Liberty on Ryloth
-Senate Spy, Landing at Point Rain, Weapons Factory, Legacy of Terror, Brain Invaders

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Thank you, Taral.

I wanted to know because, if I ever get the season sets, I'd been thinking about watching the linked episodes together like I do with two- and three- parters from other TV shows such as Star Trek and Merlin. I knew there were wide story arcs in TCW, but not precisely which episodes might be standalone or not. This list really helps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series

Page 1 of 1