Dawn of the Jedi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
The Je'daii in Dawn of the Jedi are sufficiently distinct from the Jedi they will one day be that you can sever the connection to the rest of the saga. I like the idea of falling too far into the light, just as one can fall into far into the dark, but that isn't want the movie Jedi are about. Having a balanced perspective is a great philosophy for a new group in a new IP, but not as the progenitors of the Jedi we know and love.

I don't know. I'm kind of running with a theory I've had for a while, but consider that the first issue of Dawn of the Jedi came out about a year after the Mortis arc on TCW. This is very much open to debate and interpretation, but assuming that the Mortis arc demonstrated that balance of the Force means a balance of light and dark rather than light defeating and eradicating dark, would it be too far-fetched to think that the original Jedi sought balance between light and dark and that by the time of the Prequels the Jedi had lost their way. The Jedi were presented as having fallen from their ideals in the Prequels anyway, so this could just be another element of that.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:
The Je'daii in Dawn of the Jedi are sufficiently distinct from the Jedi they will one day be that you can sever the connection to the rest of the saga. I like the idea of falling too far into the light, just as one can fall into far into the dark, but that isn't want the movie Jedi are about. Having a balanced perspective is a great philosophy for a new group in a new IP, but not as the progenitors of the Jedi we know and love.

I don't know. I'm kind of running with a theory I've had for a while, but consider that the first issue of Dawn of the Jedi came out about a year after the Mortis arc on TCW. This is very much open to debate and interpretation, but assuming that the Mortis arc demonstrated that balance of the Force means a balance of light and dark rather than light defeating and eradicating dark, would it be too far-fetched to think that the original Jedi sought balance between light and dark and that by the time of the Prequels the Jedi had lost their way. The Jedi were presented as having fallen from their ideals in the Prequels anyway, so this could just be another element of that.

Right, I get that, but that isn't what the Jedi at the time of the prequel movies were doing. Their vision of balance was all light, no dark. Regardless of the Mortis arc, and what might have been desired, it wasn't being done.

I like the idea of them having fallen from their ideals, but that doesn't appear to be one of the ideals they fell from. Plus, it appears to have been all light/no dark since throughout the entire Legends EU.

Plus, the Mortis arc was terrible. It's next on my re-watch and I just think it's so dumb.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Haha honestly I'm with you. I despised the Mortis arc when it was first released. I've been trying to be more open-minded about the reinterpretation of balance lately because I strongly suspect we'll be getting it in Episodes VIII & IX and I want to try to enjoy them for what they are, but if I'm honest I still think it's dumb. Like you said, it's a fine idea if you're starting a new universe, but it's way too late in the game to introduce it in Star Wars.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I just...we may finally get real balance. That's new for Star Wars. It shouldn't mean "the good guys win", it should mean "balance" because...that's what it means lol.

I've always been weirded out by how Lucas handled it. I'm really open to what we've got going on.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Yeeeah. I've long disliked the Chosen One prophecy. Sure it adds an extra mythical element to Star Wars and the idea of a fallen messiah is an intriguing one, but that bringing balance to the Force bit just doesn't make sense.

It is true that balance seems to imply a balancing of light and dark rather than the eradication of the dark. Even if it did mean eradication of the dark, how did Anakin do that exactly? He destroyed the Sith, okay, but surely the dark side still exists and will continue to tempt Jedi. Even if they don't call themselves "Sith" can't Jedi still fall to the dark side?

Add to this that if destroying the Sith is the main purpose of the prophecy, why would it even exist if the Sith were thought to be "extinct for a millenia"?

It's just... it's a mess. I guess that's another reason why I've become more open to the idea of balancing light and dark being the enlightened position. Maybe it can somehow reconcile these ideas and make some sort of sense out of that prophecy. But then I suppose it could wreck some core ideas and make Yoda look unenlightened by teaching Luke to completely resist the dark side.

I don't know. As I've said before, I tend to just go "Ooh. Magic." when Force stuff is happening these days. Razz

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 10 of 10