What if Vader survived?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
What if Vader survived?
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I didn't really know where to ask this question. In the Old Trilogy forum, the Expanded Universe forum or The Movie Saga forum?
Anyways, I was just wondering, what if Darth Vader survived? What would Leia do when she sees that she has to talk things out with him and what about Han? What does he have to say to Vader after he was tortured to badly? How would the rest of the alliance react when they hear that their worst enemy is their biggest ally's father?
Just wondering...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That is a good question. Even though Leia knows Vader is her father, I'm not sure she'd be so willing to forgive him, considering that he let the Empire destroy her homeworld, and the home of her adopted family. I'm sure Han wouldn't be too happy either.

It was better that he died, because he would be miserable and probably imprisoned for countless war crimes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm pretty sure, given the choice, he would have wanted to go out like he did, rather than live on.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Vader survives in the comic Infinities: Return of the Jedi. They give him a nice white suit of armor and he goes on to fight for the New Republic.

It's a pretty cool comic.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Vader in white... I would love to see that, except that I'm not really a comic person. I like the EU books better.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Awesome question, but yea I bet he would of wanted it to end the way it did. Even Killing Sidious wouldn't be a big enough event to gain the forgiveness of the people. He prob would of ended up in exile somewhere with only Luke to visit...... Sitting thinking about padme..... Wow sad actually.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, in the book "Truce at Bakura" Vader appears to Leia in the form of a Force ghost and asks her for her forgiveness. At first Leia was like "Not a chance, Dad" but later at the end of the book she forgave him. It was sweet but I keep thinking what would have been said if they had a real heart to heart?
Confused

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Something I've wondered about as well, and while I used to think he probably would've had to either be imprisoned or in exile, after seeing Daala in charge of the Galactic Alliance, I realized they probly would've just given him control of the New Republic. Smile

But seriously, one of the biggest chanes in the galaxy probably would've been the Née Jedi Order. With Luke actually having someone to talk too, and not jut having to figure out a lot of the stuff on his own, who knows how t would have turned out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Wow Vader being around to teach the NJO....... Mind blown! Would have been the whole bottle of awesome sauce right there

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:19 am Reply with quote  

I could see two options. Either (A) the realistic outcome: the New Republic puts Vader on trial to pay for all his warcrimes and those of the Empire, thus serving as a bit of a showpiece for them. It would unite further worlds to their cause if they could show that they are indeed making the Empire pay, at that they are willing to do so in a civilized way. Not sure if they'd kill him or imprison him but I'm sure the sentence would be significant. Luke would have to visit him in jail.

Option (B) would be Luke using his significant pull with the New Republic (or just doesn't tell anyone and does it in secret) and puts Vader on Yavin in the new Jedi Temple where he can find peace. Vader could then live out his days there helping Luke with his new academy. Given enough time, Vader might even be able to do a few things to further redeem himself in other people's eyes.

I have read the infinities comics, but it would certainly be a great story to explore.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I feel like he'd be very unhappy, it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't even hang around and went into seclusion or something after he fixes things with Luke and friends.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

FYI, the Infinities comic I referred to earlier will be in an upcoming Omnibus (announced in the October codes, for a February release I think).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I think it would be cool if Luke and Vader came to an agreement aboard the Death Star: Luke would let Vader "escape" from the death star. Then Vader would return to the empire and seize control of the remaining forces. From there, Vader could act as a double agent for the rebel alliance. Eventually Vader would be in a position to help the rebels take out as much of the Empire as possible. Hopefully, through these acts, he could gain a small amount of acceptance from the rebels.

Or perhaps send Vader to the unknown regions to explore the area? that might fall under some kind of exile, but would still allow him to map and conquest the area for the rebels.

“Only a master of evil, Darth.”

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I like the first idea, but not so much the second. At that point, I don't think the Rebels would have been interested so much in conquest, but rather defeating known enemies in known space.

To go back to the first idea, it does seem a mite underhanded, but Luke had matured to a certain degree, which I think would have allowed him to appreciate that Vader wouldn't be entirely welcome with the other Rebels. As such, I can see that he'd let his father 'escape' to the Empire - while he had matured, he still possessed enough farmboy naivete to make that seem plausible.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 1