Zombie Apocalypse: Survival Strategies/Other Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Darth Skuldren wrote:
#1: Title has been regurgitated by the zombie. It's a little different now. Wink

#2: For the ultimate zombie survival discussion, we have to assume that all plans need to take in affect the possibility of Situation A: Fast zombies, and Situation B: Slow zombies, and maybe even Situation C: Fast AND Slow zombies.

#3: For the record, I have not watched the Walking Dead Show nor have I read the comics.

Now if anyone is recruiting, I count as a weapon person, and could double as a sniper. No medical skills, sorry. I know only destruction. Now bring on the hordes!

And Reep, you will definitely not be on my team if you only have a rapier. You gotta have a samurai sword at least, some head lopping power. Wink

And another thing, we should assume all zombies require a brain to function thus decapitation will kill a zombie as well as massive head trauma. I would think minor brain damage would not be sufficient to kill a zombie.

I'll be the scout or something. Yeah....crawl around....track the zombies' movements and report back to base. I could do that. I'd need a high powered but lightweight weapon, though.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have light medical training and I'm not only handy with a pistol I'm phenomenal with knives. I'll be the group doctor!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:56 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Old Master Ben wrote:
Remember kids, Zombie Rule #2:

"A zombie with speed is a zombie indeed."

Here I thought it was; a Zombie with speed will eat your @@@ if you don't start running!

Oh wait that was Rule Number 1: Cardio.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Caedus_16 wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:
*Waves samurai sword around* I have one, I have one!

Well, General Grievous's guards didn't need heads. Nor did Halo's The Flood. Zombies may have the same set up.

Those aren't zombies though, those are different. The flood was a hive-mind parasite. Zombies are viral infected bodies that no longer count as living. The reason they need a head is because most viruses in zombies movies attack the brain and only leave alive the parts that use the most basic of instincts, so you need to eat and breath and that's about it. Without the head they're dead completely.

No need to school me on Halo, mate Wink . I was merely drawing a comparison since Flood bodies are zombie-like.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:

No need. *draws medieval broadsword*

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:52 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

My plan is to steal the working model of Batman's Tumbler. I'll just plow down the zombies.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:

No need. *draws medieval broadsword*

I made a Roman gladius once. Much more efficient.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote  

Ah, but a gladius is close quarters. Zombies could scratch you. Unless you've got armor, then the gladius would probably be better. Lighter, less tiring.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote  

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Ah, but a gladius is close quarters. Zombies could scratch you. Unless you've got armor, then the gladius would probably be better. Lighter, less tiring.

I'm not following you there, it seems like you contradict yourself with the gladius, did you mean another type of sword?

In any event I would lean more towards a katana over a broadsword. The curved blade of a katana will be more beneficial to slashing and minimizing getting stuck in a zombie's torso. The broadsword can be used for slashing but the straight blade is better suited to stabbing/piercing armor. At least that's how I've understood the development of swords. Either sword would be sufficient though provided it is properly balanced.

So far as bows go I would lean towards a regular bow over a crossbow. I'm not as familiar with modern crossbows but assuming you don't have one that automatically redraws the string a regular bow should obtain a faster rate of fire, which will be useful against hordes. I'd personally lean towards an old school yew longbow, though I'd be content with a more modern bow.

Just for fun is anyone interested in taking the discussion in the direction of figuring out our own forum zombie survival crew?

EDIT: looks like some of you already started on that avenue. So in that case

Combat skills: training in bladed melee weapons. Some basic training in using a bow. Potential for learning more advanced firearms but I'd have to start out with something smaller like a 9mm pistol.

Medical skills : minimal

Other skills: good analytic skills (useful for problem solving), basic understanding of defensive tactics

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:

Technically speaking, most swords are for close quarters Wink .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hey, you aren't separating a knight from his sword. It's a rapier, a broadsword or bust.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote  

A gladius is typically a short sword with a wide blade. Compared to a broadsword, it's lighter, thus using it wouldn't tire you as fast. But since it's shorter than a broadsword, it would put the zombies within arm's reach.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the definition of a broadsword. Aren't those pretty long?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Broad swords are quite long, sometimes they require a two-handed grip.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Broad swords are long (roughly 140cm for a large claymore), but even when facing an opponent with one, said opponent would still be within a few steps of biting distance. The only long sword I know of, though, that would put enough distance between you and a zombie, is roughly six feet long (Ssangsudo and zweihander), and that would only be useful for one attack, before the zombie gets through that defence.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My friend has one of those assassin's creed wrist blade things, that would be pretty useful. Actually thanks to his obsession with that game he has so many weapons (wrist blades, knives, a mini crossbow, smoke bombs) that he's been permanently added to my zombie survival team. If anyone's gonna make it based on weapons skills and such its this guy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 3 of 8