Bantam Era, this is your life, er, thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Personally the Bantam Era is my favorite era. It seems that while Bantam was very "safe' with their storylines and some of them were downright generic, it felt like Bantam took way more chances when it came to minor characters and subplots and stories not involving the Big 3.

Del Ray has not done anything like Bantam did in terms of the "Tales Of" series, or the X-Wing series, the Mandalorian Wars, I Jedi, or A.C. Crispin's Han Solo trilogy. Del Ray is not willing to really write books about non-major characters. The plotlines weren't as intertwined. The Bantam era was a lot of different authors doing a lot of experimentation, when there wasn't a lot of information available. The Star Wars universe was basically an open book.

When Del Ray took over, it seemed like they were out to do everything Bantam wouldn't. Dark storylines, someone other than the Empire as the villain, and killing off major characters. And that kind of confined the EU. With the exception of the upcoming Scoundrels and X-Wing novel, there hasn't been really anything much novelwise concerning the time period after the Clone Wars and before the Yuuzhan-Vong. Not as many one-shot novels either. But in reality they just replaced the Empire with another large-scale villain and wrote about them for as many books as possible.

Now I haven't read all of the Bantam books, and very few of the Del Ray novels so my opinion isn't as well-informed as some of your guys. But I do miss the feel of Star Wars being a sort of just quick adventure novel. Stories where the fate of the universe and everything WASN'T on the line. The universe is still vast, and there is still many, many places to explore and many characters to create and advance. Why not take the advantage to do it? Write more books that don't involve the Big 3, or the Empire. The only character that's gotten any attention is Mara Jade.

How about a novel about Dash Rendar? Or Boba Fett? Lando Calrissian? Guri? The numerous amount of Smuggers on Nar Shaddaa? Talon Karrde? Kyle Katarn? Corran Horn? Early life of Chewbacca? Rogue Squadron during the Galactic Civil War (I mean look at all the missions they went on in the Gamecube games!), 4-LOM and Zuckuss, Bossk, Dengar? etc etc

The possibilities are ENDLESS! There are other characters out there in the universe. I'm tired of reading about Han, Leia, and Luke, their kids, their kids' kids, their decendants, the new Empire, the old Empire, Sith Vs. Jedi, the same kind of plots.

Hell, I would read a book about Luke Skywalker's adventures at Tosche Station with his friends at this point if it was exciting. Just give me something that's not so heavy with the same characters. Flesh out some backstory.

I'm looking forward to Scoundrels very much though by Zahn. Hopefully Del Ray will get back to that simple "dime-adventure" feel that more of the early Star Wars novels had, and get to writing about some different characters.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've read every Bantam novel and nearly every Del Rey novel. And may I just say I miss Bantam dearly. They had some awful novels, granted, but everything about Bantam was fun. Del Rey, on the other hand, has become downright boring. Honestly. The NJO was their bright and shining star. And now I weep for the old days. Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote  

Del Rey has actually done pretty well with keeping a mix of both Big 3 books and non-Big-3 books when you look at the big picture.

They started with the NJO which had a nice mix of characters throughout. And even while LOTF and FOTJ plowed onward with very heavy Big 3 stories stretched over a long book series, there was still variety to be found elsewhere in the timeline. There's all the prequel era books, the Darth Bane books, and every now and then a book like Crosscurrent or Scourge.

The big difference I see between Bantam and Del Rey is that Del Rey moves the timeline onward with very focused storylines. First everything was centered around the Vong war. The Jacen's fall to the dark side, then Abeloth. The only side trips we got was Millennium Falcon, Crosscurrent, and Riptide. And of those, only Millennium Falcon had members of the Big 3 in it.

Looking at just the post-NJO period, we could certainly use some more side stories and variety.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

With a few notable exceptions I never liked Bantam. Del Rey excited me and I enjoyed their books for years, but I haven't been feeling it lately.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 3