Overrated Media
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
I think that saying videogames are overrated is akin to saying books or movies in general are overrated.

Yup.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

@Dannik - I completely agree, I miss the days when games where made with gameplay in mind. I have nothing against modern games, they are fun to play for a little while, but there's not much replayability in many of them. I'm hoping Skyrim will be the exception, loving that so far :D

@Caedus - Whilst I also personally dislike Coldplays style of music, as a songwriter myself, I can appreciate how technically brilliant they are, so I wouldn't say they were overrated as such.

For myself, I would say the Twilight saga is overrated, I just dislike it on so many levels.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:37 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

@Dov Skyrim looks exceptionally exceptional! I don't have an Xbox or a PS3 though, I'm looking for some second hand on eBay, just for Skyrim! GOTY.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I could write a book, but I'll keep this one short.

Movies:

2001: A Space Odyssey - Even though this is one of my favorite movies, I don't understand why people worship it so much. It is very slow-paced, has little dialogue, and an ending that could be mistaken for an acid trip. 2010 was better, IMO.

Any horror movie - I just don't see the point in being mindlessly scared. At least put some realistic plotlines...

Lord of the Rings - Very boring and slow-paced, I just don't really like them... Confused

Avatar - I've come to like this movie very much, but the plot wasn't an overly-brilliant one. It only shines in it's CGI and special effects.

The Empire Strikes Back - Yes, I know I'll get an angry mob after me for saying this (if I didn't get one already for LotR), but why is this the almost undisputed favorite of all Star Wars movies? Until the end, I thought it was one of the most boring, with all the drawn-out scenes in the Millennium Falcon and on Dagobah.

Video Games:

Mario - While I love the original Mario games, is the franchise really that special to warrant a bunch of new games? It's like we're seeing a new Mario game every week, it's ridiculous...

Grand Theft Auto - Is it really THAT good of a game? I don't think I could find enjoyment in breaking the law, whether it be a game or not.

Call of Duty - I've played the last couple of CoD games, and there was virtually no difference to me.

The PC Gaming Cult - There's always that one person you know who has a water-cooled 10 TB gaming PC who thinks that he/she is automatically superior to console gamers because of said PC.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:
I could write a book, but I'll keep this one short.

Movies:

2001: A Space Odyssey - Even though this is one of my favorite movies, I don't understand why people worship it so much. It is very slow-paced, has little dialogue, and an ending that could be mistaken for an acid trip. 2010 was better, IMO.

Any horror movie - I just don't see the point in being mindlessly scared. At least put some realistic plotlines...

Lord of the Rings - Very boring and slow-paced, I just don't really like them... Confused

Avatar - I've come to like this movie very much, but the plot wasn't an overly-brilliant one. It only shines in it's CGI and special effects.

The Empire Strikes Back - Yes, I know I'll get an angry mob after me for saying this (if I didn't get one already for LotR), but why is this the almost undisputed favorite of all Star Wars movies? Until the end, I thought it was one of the most boring, with all the drawn-out scenes in the Millennium Falcon and on Dagobah.

Video Games:

Mario - While I love the original Mario games, is the franchise really that special to warrant a bunch of new games? It's like we're seeing a new Mario game every week, it's ridiculous...

Grand Theft Auto - Is it really THAT good of a game? I don't think I could find enjoyment in breaking the law, whether it be a game or not.

Call of Duty - I've played the last couple of CoD games, and there was virtually no difference to me.

The PC Gaming Cult - There's always that one person you know who has a water-cooled 10 TB gaming PC who thinks that he/she is automatically superior to console gamers because of said PC.

I shall present respectful counters for a lot of these and agree with others.

2001: Ok, so this is one of my favorites to but its worshipped for its use of videography and soundtrack. Its all about angles, and its more of a hardcore film geek thing with other people trying to stay with it and love it with the online hipsters. I think its following is diminishing.

Any Horror Movie: Ya, most aren't brilliant, but some can be enjoyed on a "its so bad its good" level. And occasionally you get one that is genuinely terrifying. Sometimes you even get a fairly brilliant one to, but again its not for everyone. I was desensitized young to televised violence so being scared is a truly unique experience to me now.

Lord of the Rings: Again, a lot of people don't like them. You have to have the patience to enjoy the epic and while some people like the epic at that length some just don't. Those 3 extended movies are as long together as the entire Star Wars saga. Its all about whether or not you love seeing the source material brought to life since no one thought that it could be done.

Avatar: I hate this one. I have stated that enough times that rather than bore anyone I'll just continue.

The Empire Strikes Back: I will Kill You Evil or Very Mad I kid, but in reality this one was about stepping away from the rough riding adventure and into a darker, broader story. The separation of the characters lets them stretch a bit and allows space for development, and the tone sets up for more interaction than action.

Mario: I love Mario 64 but since then they've only been ok. Mario Galaxy was so fun though.

Grand Theft Auto: No, it is not that good of a game. I don't like it.

Call of Duty: I don't like these either. I'm a Halo man

PC Gaming Cult: Ya it shouldn't be about status, and I don't play pc gaming, but I'll admit the hotkey setups and the range and size make PC the optimal gaming platform. Having said that, I love the hell outta my xbox.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think you could take my prior statement and amend it to

"I think that saying [modern] videogames are overrated is akin to saying [modern] books or [modern] movies in general are overrated."

I understand the premise, as I find that I don't enjoy contemporary films as much as older ones in general, but it's still a generalization that is inaccurate due to its broad scope.

Personally, I do not see the complaint that there's no difference between Modern Warfare games to be any different than someone making the same complaint about Mega Man 1-8 back in the 80s and 90s, considering that it was exactly the same situation. Modern Warfare is singled out because it's the popular franchise of the video game medium and that makes it an easy target.

As for Mario games, I don't really think there's enough, unless you're including the Mario spin-off games like Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, and Mario Party. I was annoyed by the large gap between "true" Mario games that was between Super Mario 64 in 1996 and Super Mario Galaxy in 2007. Arguably you could include Super Mario Sunshine from 2002, but that's still an average gap of five and a half years.

Agreed about Grand Theft Auto, but that could simply be that I've never had any sort of interest in stories about organized crime or crime from the perspective of the criminal versus the police. I've enjoyed Red Dead Redemption and LA Noire which are similar sorts of games but in a different story genre.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

joe i hav to agree wiv u on mario. i enjoyed mario 1,2 and 3 on the old NES and mario kart on the SNES but they hav taken it a bit to far now they've even done a few luigi spin offs aswel which r also far to overrated.

But i hav to disagree on the lord of the rings trilogy and empire strikes back. for me LOTR is my 2nd favourite trilogy just behind star wars, the films were amazing i was glued to them the 1st time i watched them. And ESB wasnt my favourite in the SW saga but it is still one of the best films ever made.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I don't really like Super Mario Galaxy... I like most of the others though. SMW on the SNES FTW. Apparently the Luigi games are quite good. Never seen LotR though, it doesn't really strike me as something I'd enjoy. I'm in two minds about SM64.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've enjoyed the 3D Mario games but it's the 2D ones that I haven't liked so much lately. The two New Super Mario Bros. games on the Nintendo DS and the Wii both just lack some quality that the classic 2D Mario games had, specifically SMB3 and Super Mario World.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I quite liked the one on the DS, but today my brother borrowed the one on the Wii from a friend and it's meh. No way is it worth 40.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I really enjoyed New Super Mario Bros Wii, but not the DS version. I liked that they at least tried to keep the Wii version in line with Super Mario World (IMO, the pinnacle of the Mario franchise, followed closely by Super Mario 64). The DS version just didn't have much character to me. And hey, I'm a sucker for them bringing back the Koopa Kids.

Super Mario Sunshine was a real disappointment to me, as was Super Mario Galaxy 2. The first Super Mario Galaxy was a lot of fun, though. Super Mario 3D Land, my current Mario game of choice, is real fun too. It's made by the Super Mario Galaxy team, and it shows in the level design. I've also been really disappointed with the Mario Kart releases since the DS version, but I'm hoping the 3DS version turns out great. The GameCube and Wii versions were, IMO, not much fun to play. And as for the Mario spinoffs, I'm not a fan either. But if you're going to make some first party sports titles, why not throw your most recognizable mascot into the packaging? Just makes more sense, monetarily.

I didn't get into Grand Theft Auto until GTA IV hit consoles, but I had a lot of fun with it. I still prefer the over-the-top antics of Saints Row, but GTA IV was incredibly cinematic and addictive to play. It's really a more realistic, nitty gritty approach that I really respect Rockstar Games for taking. It's actually pretty similar to Red Dead Redemption, in that you're playing as a criminal who is attempting to reform after some questionable past deeds. And GTA V looks to continue down that same path.

Don't understand the Call of Duty hate at all, and I assume it's because it's the big seller. I suppose mileage may vary on the single player, but I've found them to have some very compelling and interesting stories. I'm primarily a single player gamer (I've actually NEVER prestiged in any CoD game), but I've always enjoyed playing the multiplayer with friends. It's usually with friends that I play, but I've been playing a TON of Kill Confirmed on my own in MW3, and I'm holding my own too. This might be the first one I've prestiged in. For me, I enjoy Call of Duty. And I really enjoy the fact that there's virtually no difference in terms of gameplay. When it's appropriate, yes - make the changes needed. But when it's not needed, why fix what isn't broken?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

i agree wiv u zero on the cod games,i enjoy both the story campaign and the online play and definately think they r one of the best gaming franchises out there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
As for Mario games, I don't really think there's enough, unless you're including the Mario spin-off games like Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, and Mario Party. I was annoyed by the large gap between "true" Mario games that was between Super Mario 64 in 1996 and Super Mario Galaxy in 2007. Arguably you could include Super Mario Sunshine from 2002, but that's still an average gap of five and a half years.

Yea, I was talking about the spin-offs more than anything. It would have been nice if there were more core Mario games.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

VileZero wrote:
Super Mario World (IMO, the pinnacle of the Mario franchise...)

Agreed! In every way the best Mario game ever. The replayability is insane. How many times have people played that game over and over and over? If we added up the hours spent on Super Mario World by everyone who has ever played it, I would imagine it might even take the cake. If nothing else, it would be in the Top 10, no question.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Super Mario World 2 is underrated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 3 of 8