Overrated Media
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Caedus_16 wrote:
Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Over. Rated. Wink

Don't worry, I'm with you. It was entertaining but like most super-popular media these days its not that incredible, just ok. RotS for instance, or things like that.

I would file it under "pretty good", but everyone seems to think that Collins is the second coming of J.K. Rowling. My guess is that Twilight was so bad that now anything decent seems like a masterpiece in comparison. Wink At any rate, I am looking forward to The Hunger Games film. I think I'll rather enjoy the story once its free of Collins' somewhat awkward writing.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I like the Hunger Games significantly more than Harry Potter.

Caedus_16 wrote:
RotS for instance, or things like that.

Revenge of the Sith? Evil or Very Mad

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Reepicheep wrote:

Off with his head!!!!

Seriously, though, I just personally like Rowling's writing style much better than Collins'. Lemme find the passage I'm thinking of.....got it.

I am Buttercup. Peeta, the thing I want so badly to secure, is the light. As long as Buttercup feels he has the chance of catching the elusive light under his paws, he’s bristling with aggression. (That’s how I’ve been since I left the arena, with Peeta alive.) When the light goes out completely, Buttercup’s temporarily distraught and confused, but recovers and moves on to other things. (That’s what would happen if Peeta died.) But the one thing that sends Buttercup into a tailspin is when I leave the light on but put it hopelessly out of his reach, high on the wall, beyond even his jumping skills. He paces below the wall, wails, and can’t be comforted or distracted. He’s useless until I shut the light off. (That’s what Snow is trying to do to me now, only I don’t know what form his game takes.)

I mean.....she just used a metaphor...and then explained said metaphor to us while she was using it. Awkward. I'm not hating on the books, I think they're pretty good and that the story is rather awesome. The writing just bugs me a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh, yeah, they're not phenomenal. I can see what people are saying about her writing flaws, but it doesn't stop me from being a fan.

On a side note, just got my Mockingjay pin. Cool

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I mean.....she just used a metaphor...and then explained said metaphor to us while she was using it. Awkward. I'm not hating on the books, I think they're pretty good and that the story is rather awesome. The writing just bugs me a bit.

That reminds me of The Ruins of Dantooine. At some point the author used an already lame pun, and then proceeded to explain said pun to the reader, ensuring there were no questions. There's no better way to ruin a pun than explaining it.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Oh, yeah, they're not phenomenal. I can see what people are saying about her writing flaws, but it doesn't stop me from being a fan.

Fair enough. I'll excited about the movie, though not enough to buy the merchandise. Although it does grieve me to see the Mockingjay pins next to the replicas of Bella's engagement ring at Books A Million.

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:

That reminds me of The Ruins of Dantooine. At some point the author used an already lame pun, and then proceeded to explain said pun to the reader, ensuring there were no questions. There's no better way to ruin a pun than explaining it.

The bit with the guy named Finn almost being eaten by a fish? That was so bad it has stuck in my mind, even though I remember nothing else from the book. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:10 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yes, exactly! Same here. I have no other memories from that book, ha. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:22 am Reply with quote  

*notes Mara and Padme's commentary on puns, scratches "The Ruins of Dantooine" off his "things to read when I get the time" list*

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:

Revenge of the Sith? Evil or Very Mad

1. Hunger Games is smaller and can be a good contained story set in a world that is more easy to connect to. Harry Potter is an epic that took a couple installments to find its feet but was brilliant by the last one and then ruined because the author continues to say things about it after its over that have nothing to do with the story. Harry Potter became well-written prose and tied up every loose end, Hunger Games became well-written prose that did not. I will wait till the films are out before I compare.

2. I don't care who hailed it the best of the saga, its overrated compared to Empire or any of the old trilogy. Wooden acting and poor dialogue bogged it down. Action sequences and flashy CGI are fine, but to me film is about performance and story and the prequel's trod on a lot of established film canon (they contradict the old three in places) and the acting was downright awful from two of the three characters I was supposed to care about. If Hayden Christiansen had performed (he's proven he's able to) or Natalie Portman had been believable (again, she's proven she can be) and Lucas had the sense to hand screenwriting and direction off to someone who can write dialogue and a director who would have made the story flow better (we do not have to use wipes Lucas, that's for Microsoft Powerpoint and we have fades for film) then it wouldn't be overrated. Sadly its called the best of the saga because its the least horrible of the newest ones and we live in a society where new is always better, no matter its substance. So yes, Revenge of the Sith the film is overrated. The novel by Stover, however, is one of the finest pieces of modern sci-fi drama I've ever read and he deserved a bloody award for it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:45 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Caedus_16 wrote:
...(we do not have to use wipes Lucas, that's for Microsoft Powerpoint and we have fades for film) then it wouldn't be overrated. Sadly its called the best of the saga because its the least horrible of the newest ones and we live in a society where new is always better, no matter its substance. So yes, Revenge of the Sith the film is overrated. The novel by Stover, however, is one of the finest pieces of modern sci-fi drama I've ever read and he deserved a bloody award for it.

*applauds* Well said, good sir! I agree about the transitions. It still makes me laugh to watch the Windows Movie Maker transitions found in the OT. Granted, WMM didn't exist yet, but it still amuses me. Wink

And completely agreed about the RotS novelization. Absolutely brilliant. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:

Fair enough. I'll excited about the movie, though not enough to buy the merchandise. Although it does grieve me to see the Mockingjay pins next to the replicas of Bella's engagement ring at Books A Million.

The Twilight comparisons need to die. Evil or Very Mad

@Caedus: what threads did you feel were left open?

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
And completely agreed about the RotS novelization. Absolutely brilliant. Cool

I can't finish the ROTS novel. I get to the Dooku part, and I think, "I'd rather watch the movie. I already know what's gonna happen."

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

Last edited by Dancelittleewok on Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Le gasp! Dance...I do believe this is where we kick you off the forums. Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

She's definitely in danger of losing her Star Wars Nerd badge. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Reep: The entire ending was anti-climactic. Coin was killed, but what happened to the government? And not the simple explanation we got, I mean really? What happened? What happened to the world? What happened with the districts? The entire world changed that day, what was the consequence? I didn't give two craps about the resolution to the romantic plot, I knew how that would end. I wanted to know things that mattered. Its the same as in the first book: despite the fact that these people grew up in a dystopian future and suffered their whole lives and their priorities are food and survival they all behave like spoiled, ditsy Americans. It just bothered me because it was what ruined the first one. The second one was the only one that truly handled that well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 5 of 8