Overrated Media
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Overrated Media
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So, here you may post any songs, movies, etc. that you find overrated. Perhaps a box office hit that you personally think was terrible, or a #1 hit single that causes your ears to bleed.

I ask that you refrain from simply bashing songs by overrated artists or directors, however. For instance, please do not say:

"never say never is so overrated cuz justin bieber is totally gay lulz"

Yes...behavior such as this will not be appreciated.

Rules*:
1. Back up your opinion!
2. No artist or director/actor bashing!
3. Respect other opinions!

*Rules are subject to change based on the actions of the thread participants

And I do believe that's it. So I shall start us off.

Songs:
One of the most bandwagon genres I've noticed, simply because I listen to it the most, is the Christian Contemporary genre. It's like no one has their own opinion. As long as it's a new song and the radio is promoting it, it's a #1 hit single! Even if it's a terrible song. Examples:

1. Rise - Shawn McDonald
I hate this song with a passion. He's a good singer, and I will give him that. But the song says next to nothing, and he simply repeats a chorus line 247 times. Granted, the biggest downfall in CCM music is the repetitiveness with no actual substance. So he's not alone in this. But with the frequency that the radio stations play this song, I am ready to throw the radio out the window when I hear this particular track.

2. God of This City - Bluetree
Again with the repetitiveness. Although I hate this song much more than the above. Note the second half of the song:

For there is none like our God, there is none like you, God!

Greater things have yet to come, and greater things are still to be done in this city!
Where glory shines from hearts alive with praise for You and love for You in this city.

Greater things have yet to come, and greater things are still to be done in this city!
Greater things have yet to come, and greater things are still to be done here.

For there is none like our God, there is none like you, God!

Where glory shines from hearts alive with praise for You and love for You in this city.

Greater things have yet to come, and greater things are still to be done here.

It says the same thing over and over and over! Agh! And yet it was one of the most popular songs in its time (which was a year or two ago), and they never quit playing it. Not to mention that I didn't think the artists were very good, either. So that didn't help. But definitely one that made my ears bleed.

Movies:
1. X-Men - First Class
What was up with this film? I went out and bought it on release day and proceeded to watch it that night. My entire family (all fans of the first three films) sat there in dumbfounded silence as the credits finally rolled. Not one of us enjoyed it, and we all felt like we'd wasted a good 2 hours of our lives. It was a decent movie, but nowhere near the hype it received. Perhaps it just needs a second viewing, but the fact that all five of us were left disappointed seems a little telling. I think the main thing that bothered all of us was that 75,000,000 things happened, and they all seemed choppy and disorganized. The movie never felt like it flowed to a climax or conclusion. But I suppose that's our personal opinion, since we seem to be alone in it.

Anyway! There are some rants I've been dying to share for awhile. Feel free to chime in. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

My favourite band EVER is Blur (if you haven't heard them, go and buy Modern Life is Rubbish, it's a treat) but one of their songs gets played EVERYWHERE and if you ask someone about Blur they'll say "oh did they do this song?" That song is "song 2" (or "woo hoo" to silly people) I think it gets more radio playtime because it is very generic, very repetetive and very short. It is a very unimaginative song (they wrote it in fifteen minutes while waiting for an amp to arrive, I've read their bassist's autobiography) and it is one of the only songs by them that I have to skip when listening to their Best Of.

I might think of some movies later.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh, wow, you're right! I thought I'd never heard of Blur, but I do know that song. But then I guess everybody does, ha. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Songs:

Anything Hip-Hop: there hasn't been an original hip-hop song in almost 20 years. Its pathetic. Samples, autotune, Nikki Minaj, its all been done before. Even everything Gaga does that she claims is done because she was 'born that way' is a lie. Its all been done before and people have talked about how she has changed for publicity. Its all so frustrating.

Movies:

Avatar: Shiny and that's about it.

Harry Potter Films: These got good at 4 and then after that only 6 and 7 were good, but the first three and 5 were boring and poorly acted. Just didn't enjoy it at all.

Blu-Ray: These movies are good looking sometimes, but many of them are disjointed and awkward looking. They look fast-forwarded. I don't mind a few things in this format but for the most part they are only eh.

Art:

The Mona Lisa: We get it, she's supposed to be hiding the secret of womanhood. You wanna know the secret?
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Ha Rolling Eyes ! Every time I say I don't like it people go "ohhhh, you just don't like it cos' it maaaiiinstreeeeeaaammm". No, I don't like it because it's rubbish.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

A radio single. I have to pick one?

Let me just give a general, brief discourse on current radio singles (aside from 'Fireflies', 'Rolling in the Deep' etc): the lyrics are shallow nonsense about clubbing and getting laid. The sound is abrasive and irritating.

That is all.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I don't actually mind Rolling in the Deep, but the rest of her dreaaary songs bore me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:30 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

blur were also one of my favourite bands growing up and hav to agree wiv u dannick that song 2 is overplayed.

for me i would hav to say matrix 2 and 3, they were really hyped up and i just didnt like them compared to the 1st.

TWITTER. i just dnt c the point in it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DannikJerriko wrote:
I don't actually mind Rolling in the Deep, but the rest of her dreaaary songs bore me.

I found 'Rolling in the Deep' refreshing. I think it's a sign that the music industry is beginning to have growing pains.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You hated X-Men: First Class?? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU. Haha, I mean, different strokes for different folks. But wow, it was one of my all-time favs of the year.

Quote:
Blu-Ray: These movies are good looking sometimes, but many of them are disjointed and awkward looking. They look fast-forwarded. I don't mind a few things in this format but for the most part they are only eh.

This is actually a problem with your television settings. For some reason, televisions that play channels and movies in HD have a setting that makes everything look fast forward. I found this out when my tv did the same, and googled it. It's a setting, and it can be fixed pretty easy. Just google your television model and something about fast forwarding, and it should pop up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Another thing, sorry if I'm about to kick up a storm, but I think Halo is overrated *hides* Same with every Zelda game before A Link to the Past.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DannikJerriko wrote:
Another thing, sorry if I'm about to kick up a storm, but I think Halo is overrated *hides* Same with every Zelda game before A Link to the Past.

Halo... overrated? I can kind of see where you're coming from, and (begrudgingly) respect your opinion.

But every Zelda game BEFORE A Link to the Past? I'm sorry, Link's Awakening is NOT overrated. And I disrespect that opinion! Razz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Hold on, I think I may be missing out on a LoZ game; the only ones I know before ALttP are: The first one, (I think it was on the NES), that AWFUL sidescrolling one, and I've heard of another one that was pretty much the same graphically and gameplay-wise as the first one. As far as I know, it was those three then ALttP. Correct me if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

VileZero wrote:
Quote:

This is actually a problem with your television settings. For some reason, televisions that play channels and movies in HD have a setting that makes everything look fast forward. I found this out when my tv did the same, and googled it. It's a setting, and it can be fixed pretty easy. Just google your television model and something about fast forwarding, and it should pop up.

I'm guessing the television in question is either an LCD or an LED. It's because it's either a 120 Hz or 240 Hz HDTV. The reason it looks "fast forward" is because films are shot at 24 frames per second and the TV has motion interpolation turned on to create additional frames so the TV is running the 24 fps movie at a higher framerate.

If it's Samsung brand the motion interpolation feature is called Auto Motion Plus, Sony's is called MotionFlow, Panasonic is called Intelligent Frame Creation, LG is called TruMotion.

Basically the feature is intended to be used for sports programs because the LCD and LED TVs have worse refresh rates than plasma and consequently the action looks less smooth.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth-Weeto wrote:
for me i would hav to say matrix 2 and 3, they were really hyped up and i just didnt like them compared to the 1st.

Ditto.

And I didn't hate X-Men: First Class, but I did not think it deserved the hype it received. In fact, most of what I liked about the movie was just the fact that we got to see Charles and Eric when they were friends. Plotwise, I found it somewhat lacking. And to correct Mara's earlier statement, I loved the first two X-Men movies. The third one was utterly horrible and, to quote DannikJerikko, "rubbish."
“Actually, I don’t quite recall. But I was made, so the existence of my maker is beyond question. And since I consider my existence to be a good thing, he was without a doubt benevolent and forward thinking.”
~Allana Solo and C-3PO

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 8