Darth Malgus - Hasbro
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Collecting View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Malgus - Hasbro
 PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Malgus has started to appear in stores. Like other Sith Lords, besides Sidious, he is much in demand.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

Re: Darth Malgus - Hasbro
 PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

SidiousThrawn wrote:
Darth Malgus has started to appear in stores. Like other Sith Lords, besides Sidious, he is much in demand.

I didn't even know they were making a figure of this guy.

Being in Canada I'll never see him in stores, so I'm going to have to go hunt online.

Thanks for the heads up.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Yes, I have been going crazy looking for him.

I did see the supposed "post" I made about leaving, this is not true. I had someone that I thought was a friend mess with a good amount of my accounts over a petty disagreement.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This is going for like 50 bucks+ on ebay. This is a brand new, general release figure. How is it rare, other than the fact that people want it? It's no more rare than a jar jar binks toy that you couldn't pay someone to take off your hands.

Ridiculous price gouging for no reason to create a "rare and valuable" toy is what I hate about collecting. A toy that they made 10,000 of, that you could walk into any Toy R Us and get if they all weren't scoured away by collectors the second they came out of the shipment.

Most people just want to play with a Malgus and don't even care and now they probably never will get the chance.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:13 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The guy at Toys R Us said that every morning after they restock, there is a line of collectors waiting at the doors before they open and the people buy cases of figures. It really is sickening. It is these people that make collecting figures so expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
This is going for like 50 bucks+ on ebay. This is a brand new, general release figure. How is it rare, other than the fact that people want it? It's no more rare than a jar jar binks toy that you couldn't pay someone to take off your hands.

Ridiculous price gouging for no reason to create a "rare and valuable" toy is what I hate about collecting. A toy that they made 10,000 of, that you could walk into any Toy R Us and get if they all weren't scoured away by collectors the second they came out of the shipment.

Most people just want to play with a Malgus and don't even care and now they probably never will get the chance.

Its the jerks that buy every single one after waiting for hours in stores on the shipments. Then they can jack up prices and hock em off online.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Sad but, oh so true.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I always thought it was sad how toy collectors buy toys and just display them, never taking them out of the package. Toy Story has probably coloured my view on this, but it's like the toys will never be used for what they were meant for. Somewhere a kid is sad that he can't find a Malgus toy to play with and meanwhile it sits on some guy's shelf collecting dust.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have a friend Reep, who collects Marvel Universe action figures that way. He has over 200 and they are all hung on the wall and displayed (it also kind of sends any girl he brings home packing quite quickly). Sad kind of, because he has almost every Marvel character and a lot of variants. Its so cool but wasted because they're in the package.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Reepicheep wrote:
I always thought it was sad how toy collectors buy toys and just display them, never taking them out of the package. Toy Story has probably coloured my view on this, but it's like the toys will never be used for what they were meant for. Somewhere a kid is sad that he can't find a Malgus toy to play with and meanwhile it sits on some guy's shelf collecting dust.

I'm that sad kid. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ruhk Orikan wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

Don't worry, I have figures in the package to. They're worth more that way. I open some occasionally, but not all. I don't display them, but I have them boxed and away.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Caedus_16 wrote:
Ruhk Orikan wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

Don't worry, I have figures in the package to. They're worth more that way. I open some occasionally, but not all. I don't display them, but I have them boxed and away.

I've never kept any of my toys in packaging as a kid. My mom would get mad if I did, for her to spend money on a toy she couldn't afford so that I was happy. So for me to not have played with them would have upset her. Nor do I keep them packaged now, since I still love playing.

I really wish stores would put a limit on how many Star Wars toys you could buy at a time. My Target had a limit like that when RotS came out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mine to, but now that the films aren't coming out they don't do it. I had to order a Nom Anor, and a Malgus will be really hard to get.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ah. To open or not to open?

For some collectors the desire is to get the best quality product available, so mint is the preference. Others want the most rare which is typically the same. For sellers this is also desirable because it's the most lucrative.

In the 90's the comic book market bubble burst because everyone was buying books and sealing them in plastic thinking they'd have the next Superman #1 to pass onto their kids. But they missed the point that Superman #1 is worth a million bucks because kids read and then threw it away and they are impossible to find. The demand didn't out outpace the supply and now those books are not worth more than their cover price, which counting for current market inflation in cost makes them a negative worth .

This hasn't happened yet for toys because it doesn't matter much if it's mint or not and the prices tend to not have a huge variation there. Unfortunately that means an expensive toy is still going to be expensive no matter what.

The episode one toys were all hot when they came out and now you can't give them away, so I think we'll see a price drop for new figures in a few years, as all the SW toys have gone down in price in the past decade. 5$-10 is the going rate for an average 90's Kenner figure mint, which is a bargain at being cheaper than a new release.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I have some open and some that are MOC (Mint on Card).

A lot of figures have been released several times just in different packaging so, they will not be worth much. It's the characters/figures that have been released only once or twice (these are usually in high demand) that will be worth anything. Also, those with mistakes.

Gamorran Guards and Sith Lords (besides the ones from the movie) are the ones I see that can be costly. Also, Fett. One Fett figure is worth $3k because of a painting error.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Collecting

Page 1 of 2