SW:CW or SW:TCW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you prefer SW:CW or SW:TCW
Star Wars: Clone Wars
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 11

SW:CW or SW:TCW
 PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I don't think there's a thread for this and I'm curious to know; what do you like more; "Star Wars: Clone Wars" (2003-05) or "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" (2008-present)? Personally, I prefer SW:CW. I like the way there isn't much dialogue, I like the animation (It reminds me of watching Samurai Jack when I was younger), I like the episode length. But the thing I loved the most was how little dialogue there was. And how nothing really had to be said.

Also, I like how Anakin is more AotC and RotS Anakin as opposed to happy-go-lucky shrug-off-your-problems-with-a-smile Anakin. It was quite accessible to older (not that much older, maybe 16-17 y/o) viewers, its blunt, subtle humour really got me. Another thing was how extreme everything was. I loved the really fast moving Jedi, not just "a fast paced battle" but actually really fluid sppedy lightsaber battles. There's a bit where Windu loses his lightsabre and just goes around beating up battle droids with the force. TCW just seems a bit kiddie, everything is explained to you word-for-word. I watch it, but I do think it is a show for a younger audience, and I never got that feeling with SW:CW.

So my vote is with SW:CW.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I prefer TCW. The animation style of CW never appealed to me, and I found the extreme Jedi (like Mace Windu beating up droids) to be too ridiculous. Even though I love Mace Windu and he is awesome , it was just too much . I also don't mind the canon problems with TCW - they are easily fixed. And now that Ahsoka has started to grow up, I am really enjoying it.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I'm with GM. I found CW too over the top for my liking, and on top of that the animation and Anakin's voice, so it wasn't something I enjoyed, but rather something I suffered through watching.

TCW, though, has grown on me. The voice, while sounding un-Anakin, was more bearable, and the animation - again, while not to my liking - was at least half decent.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:27 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

It would seem two of the three things I like most about it (the over-the-top-ness and the animation) are what everybody doesn't like about it. And I agree with both of you on Anakin's voice.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I prefer The Clone Wars. I too don't like the over-emphasized fighting, especially if this stuff is going to be considered canon. Clone Wars might have worked okay as three minute episodes, but watching them together didn't work at all for me. I actually didn't want anything to do with Star Wars for a couple days after. That rarely happens to me.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Re: SW:CW or SW:TCW
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DannikJerriko wrote:

Also, I like how Anakin is more AotC and RotS Anakin as opposed to happy-go-lucky shrug-off-your-problems-with-a-smile Anakin.

I can't say I like one series more than another, but on this point I totally agree. The Anakin you see in TCW is not a guy that would turn to the dark side eventually. I really miss having the connection between the characters as you see them in the movies as apposed to how they are portrait in TCW. In that respect I think that TCW is leading more of it's own life with each new season.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I loved Clone Wars. Genndy Tartakovsky is one of my favorite people in the animation business. Dexter's Laboratory, Samurai Jack, Powerpuff Girls, and Clone Wars are all some of my favorites. Samurai Jack and Clone Wars are known for minimal dialogue and heavy, unbelievable action scenes. His shows always have short runs with discernible beginnings and endings and personally I like the characters more than I do in The Clone Wars. The new show is obnoxious to me, and I can't see any of the characters winding up like they do in RotS. Its kind of sad in a way because this show had a lot of potential. But the trodding on canon and the complete disregard for time-frames and character development leading to the films is frustrating to me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The characterization of Anakin is one of the show's downsides for sure. If Anakin hadn't turned to the dark side, TCW Anakin is how he would've been in a few years post-RotS.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Also; Asajj Ventress looks super rubbish in TCW. I like the way 3PO looks like the 3PO in the 80's series "Droids".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series

Page 1 of 1