Star Wars vs. Star Trek
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  

As a Star Wars fan...
...you're equally interested in Star Trek.
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
...you're only casually interested in Star Trek.
25%
 25%  [ 9 ]
...you have zero interest in Star Trek.
34%
 34%  [ 12 ]
...you despise Star Trek...including Trekkies.
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 35

Star Wars vs. Star Trek
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I am currently doing a school project on the differences between Star Wars and Star Trek. However, I would like real world statistics concerning who actually likes what, so I thought I'd post a poll here. Feel free to vote! Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Vote cast. I will say that, to my everlasting shame, I did enjoy the new Star Trek film. But it was partly because I was imagining the horror on the Trekkies' faces when Vulcan blew. Twisted Evil

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I love star wars, but yes i am a trekkie i must admit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:21 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I was a Trekkie long before I was a SW fan. And have no shame in still loving Trek. It's got it's differences.

Be happy to chat about it for you.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I'm a fan of both, but I'm a lot more into Star Wars at the moment.

Just don't tell my Trekkie friend I said that!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm a fan of both. I liked Star Trek first for the simple reason that there wasn't any Star Wars at the time. I love the original Star Trek series and the latest movie;couldn't stand TNG.

But my biggest love is for Star Wars.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Cerrinea wrote:
I'm a fan of both. I liked Star Trek first for the simple reason that there wasn't any Star Wars at the time. I love the original Star Trek series and the latest movie;couldn't stand TNG.

But my biggest love is for Star Wars.

For me too it was the lack of things SW that kept me sticking to Trek, Trek seemed to have TV on lock down, whereas the books were the only place aside form games you could learn new SW stuff.

My favorite Trek is Deep Space Nine. I disliked the first season, but the last 4 rocked!

And the Borg and Klingons are cool, but how much cooler was the Dominion with it's Jem'Hadar bred to die (How clones for war should be made Wink ) and their shape shifting living Gods who ruled them.

My favorite ship is the Defiant, how cool is it to have a cloak. Um hello Rogue Shadow, I hear you calling me!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
Trek seemed to have TV on lock down, whereas the books were the only place aside form games you could learn new SW stuff.

Actually I meant there literally was no Star Wars yet. No movies; nothing. Star Trek premiered when I was in high school in the 60s. Star Wars didn't come out until '77 when I was in my mid-twenties. Yep, I saw the first release in the theater. I saw it a Grauman's Chinese in Hollywood. I saw ESB twice the week it premiered down the street at The Egyptian where it premiered.

That was something else. No multiplexes so humongous long lines and a long, long wait to get in. But the lines were full of SW fans and it was one giant party. Good times. Laughing

Come to think of it I saw the second release in the theater too. I was thrilled with the anniversary release because my second son could see SW on the big screen like his older brother had. Now with the 3D release my third and youngest son will see the entire 6 movies in the theater as well. It's become a family tradition.

Not to derail this thread but my middle son, who is now 23, is going to Deathly Hallows with his mom this weekend. Cause that's what we do. We see HP together.

Oh and I dragged my two younger sons to the Star Trek movie when it came out. I'm happy to report they loved it. So did I; it really captured the feel of the original series. But with a twist.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Hey, these are awesome perspectives on the two! Keep them coming, guys It's great research! Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Cerrinea wrote:
Quote:
Trek seemed to have TV on lock down, whereas the books were the only place aside form games you could learn new SW stuff.

Actually I meant there literally was no Star Wars yet. No movies; nothing. Star Trek premiered when I was in high school in the 60s. Star Wars didn't come out until '77 when I was in my mid-twenties.

Ah I meant after the trilogy when GL seemed to have said "I'm done; here play" to the books.

Cerrinea wrote:

Oh and I dragged my two younger sons to the Star Trek movie when it came out. I'm happy to report they loved it. So did I; it really captured the feel of the original series. But with a twist.

I can't wait for part 2! How will having Spocks memories effect this Kirk? He'll know things are WRONG, as will this Spock who has the memories of the Romulan he melded with Wink Plus having "Spock Prime" in the timestream as well. One thing Trek's always maintained is the need to fix the timestream- thus most continuity errors get choked up to timestream stories. That each variation you notice is a slightly different universe. Laughing Only in Trek can you explain away the X-men enough to have multiple crossovers and make them sound feasible to both universes Wink

But then you get a "Trouble with tribbles" moment on DS9 where the scene is redone but with new characters Wink

And we get huge losses like this and in the finale we learn that Attack Pattern Deltas- is a loop Wink Lets loop over this guy and fall onto his tail Laughing Sure you can take the actors lines at face value- but trust me- there is a lot going on in each character at this point, even the small ones off in the small screens have had big roles- it was a well thought out show.

My point for liking DS9- is it was made AFTER Gene's death.... when his control on the story had ended.

Just sayin

-
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

And why do Klingons and Jem'hadar entice me? Here (Oh and the Breem- totally Leia's Bounty Hunter Disguise!

Worfs a POW and has been forced to fight for days on end starting with the weakest of the Jem'Hadar troopers and working his way up till they break him and make him "Yeild" he never does. That darn Klingon Warrior spirit (Part of why I enjoy Mando's who are like Klingons)

But see (HERE IT COMES............)

Wait for it

I see Trek as the furthest end of the SW timeline Laughing

Or Star Wars as the very very very distant past of Trek.

Hides from the fans holding the stones....

-
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote  

I like both, but I'd have to say I like Star Wars more since I read the books. I'm a big fan of the original Star Trek series, and I like all the Star Trek movies with Kirk in them. Never got into the other stuff.

That said, none of the Star Trek movies were on par with any of the three original Star Wars films. Of course, the Star Trek series was a lot better than any tv series Star Wars has done, though they've only tried cartoons more or less so far.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
I see Trek as the furthest end of the SW timeline Laughing

Or Star Wars as the very very very distant past of Trek.

See, that doesn't even compute for me. Especially since one is sci fi and the other is space opera.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have zero interest in Star Trek, mostly because I have almost zero interest in science fiction (with one notable exception). I don't dislike it, it just isn't normally my thing.

Not to mention Star Trek is humanist...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
My point for liking DS9- is it was made AFTER Gene's death.... when his control on the story had ended.

Just sayin

Are you implying a positive future for Star Wars when certain events come to pass? Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 6