School Shooting
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
School Shooting
 PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

And the shooting sprees continue: A gunman wounded 5 students at a high school in Chardon, Ohio, USA around 7:30 AM EST or CST( not sure which time zone Ohio is in.) this morning. At last report the gunman was in custody and the injured students were airlifted to hospitals.

When will this end?!! I'm getting sick of hearing about these Columbine wannabes. How long before another Columbine or Virginia Tech erupts?

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/27/10517706-official-5-hurt-in-ohio-high-school-shooting

Update: One of the 5 people injured in the shooting this morning, a student identified as 17 year old Daniel Parmentor, died from his injuries.

Last edited by Alan Skywalker V on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Thats horrible. Why would someone want to do something like that? Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't know, but the number of school shootings is on the rise. It's happening more and more frequently.

Just last month, a community college I attended for three years before graduating in May '11 went on lockdown for 5 hours after a suspected gunman was seen on campus. Nothing happened, but it only illustrates how safety in school is slipping these days.

The local elementary school I attended through 6th grade received a bomb threat once.

My mom subs at our local middle school and nothing's happened there, but I'm always concerned that someone might bring a gun in and open fire on a day that she happens to be subbing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

errr. This is a slippery issue...

Cautiously I'll say that it's evident that cultural violence is certainly a contributing factor...BUT I don't think that there is a direct casual relation to violence in the media or that as a society we are somehow becoming more violent than at any other idealized "simpler time".

I think that a rising population is probably the most significant factor to any localized rises in crime rates. In addition people may have more or more perceived stress in their daily lives which is probably the biggest factor for personal motivation of violent crimes. This particularly includes children who are in fact more likely to be susceptible to it because they have less experience or opportunities to deal with it than adults.

I don't think that an increase in security is going to help. I don't really feel like getting into why.

The thing that I feel most bad about is the increased demonization and ignorance towards people with mental illness that usually follows these events.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:59 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I'm so glad I live in Australia. It is extremely rare for anything like that to happen here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:11 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Is it just me or do people seem to be more angry now than 10 years ago? When I was in high school, we never heard about a school shooting.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I don't know. I don't remember hearing about school shootings before Virginia Tech, but before then I was a child who avoided the news like the plague. I'd be hesitant to say that people are getting angrier, but if that is the case the real question is what is causing it.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Um, Columbine happened in 1999, and there was a huge spate of school shootings at the time. So I'm not sure saying people are angrier now or school shootings are increasing is accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ That's what I was thinking. I didn't hear about the Columbine shooting until years after the fact, because I didn't stay caught up with the news. Now that I do stay caught up (though I'm admittedly still more interested in the past than the present), I hear about these things as they happen and it seems like things are getting worse.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Update with a few minor corrections from my initial post: The death toll has risen to 3. The victims are Daniel Parmertor, 16; Russell King, 17; and Demetrius Hewlin, 17.

The two other students who were injured have not been identified, but one reportedly remains hospitalized and the second has been released.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote  

Odds are this will reopen the debate on gun control laws. I can't say I'd blame people if that happens. Short of having mandatory exams by shrinks prior to owning a gun I don't see how increasing gun control laws would directly decrease shootings (someone may have been perfectly balanced and a good citizen until something pushed them over the edge, motivating them to buy the gun. This would be undetectable through looking at criminal records). That doesn't mean a debate on gun control laws is pointless though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, Salaris, we're one of the most violent western societies. We also have the most lenient gun control laws of just about any western society

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote  

Cerrinea wrote:
Well, Salaris, we're one of the most violent western societies. We also have the most lenient gun control laws of just about any western society

Granted. I'm just not entirely sure what the solution is. As I said a debate on gun control is to be expected, I'm just not sure how it would impact shootings. (To be clear I think we need much stronger gun control laws so I'm not arguing that status quo is fine).

Mainly the question I have is would stronger gun controls be sufficient or would we be treating the symptoms instead of the disease? Namely are there other things we need to do (other than stronger gun control laws) in order to address the issue fully?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think the answer is both. We need much tighter gun control laws, and we need to treat the real underlying problems that produce such violence.

Idk much about the statistics on whether police support gun control or not. There are tons of (imo suspect) sites that say police don't. All I can do is related a true story.

Several years ago a paroled convict broke into my house. He'd been, unknown to me, stalking me and this was before stalking was even recognized as such. Anyway, he held me hostage (with a knife) for about 3 hours before I talked him out of the house. When I made a police report, the police literally begged me not to arm myself with a gun. Instead of a gun, I got a German shepherd.

From time to time I've wondered what might have happened if either of us had been armed with a gun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I think tighter gun control would be good. I can go to my local Walmart and buy a rifle and ammo.

Even with tighter gun control, you'd still need to go to the root cause of the violence.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 1 of 5