Christmas!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:35 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Anyone got any $5 - $10 Christmas gift ideas?

If you are buying for a child some DOTM Tfransformer toys are selling for that.

Or a book token

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Finished all my shopping.

Haven't started my shopping...Embarassed

Just haven't had the time to even consider shopping until now. I'll be picking up my first present tomorrow, and hopefully the others will domino from there.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Picked up my very last present. Commence wrapping!

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

The majority of the Christmas presents for the family are in my room, and thus I have very little room to move. I can't even get to the radiator now - which is annoying because it's below 0.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

My shopping is done. Im waiting on amazon to deliver Revan for christmas.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

So...Cantina people, what age (if you've reached it) did you stop desiring a zillion things for Christmas? In other words, when was the first time you failed to desire anything specific for Christmas? Because I've reached that point, and I find it depressing. Sad

My family keeps asking what I want for Christmas, and all I can come up with are several books. All little things that I could buy for myself. The only serious things I want are far too expensive to request. So I'm stuck in the middle with nothing to ask for. I enjoy giving more than receiving for Christmas, but I do enjoy looking forward to that one special present. And now there isn't one. And I am sad. Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I reached that last year. I mean, if I want something, I buy it (if it's a reasonable price). That leaves only the big things I can't afford to ask for around Christmas, and I'd feel way too bad to even ask because they are really pricey.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:32 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I reached that last year. I mean, if I want something, I buy it (if it's a reasonable price). That leaves only the big things I can't afford to ask for around Christmas, and I'd feel way too bad to even ask because they are really pricey.

Yes! Exactly. Absolutely everything on my list I could purchase for myself, and would, if I weren't specifically asking for it for Christmas just to have something to ask for. Everything else is too expensive. Being a techie, all of my interests are things such as computers, cameras, and phones. All of which are too expensive to request. So...here I am. With a bogus Christmas list, and a sad countenance. Meh. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Well, the past few years I've been like you, didn't really want anything specific, or anything at all, but this year I want loads. Loads.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I literally just had a conversation with my mom about this. She asked me what I wanted and since the iPad isn't going to happen, I just told her to shop around and pick things she thought I'd like and surprise me. So....yeah. Getting older is kinda depressing. But I refuse to let my Christmas spirit die!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Ive felt like that for many years now but since ive had kids i get excited for them opening there presents.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
So...Cantina people, what age (if you've reached it) did you stop desiring a zillion things for Christmas? In other words, when was the first time you failed to desire anything specific for Christmas? Because I've reached that point, and I find it depressing. Sad

Oh, I've never stopped wanting many, many things for Christmas. I'm greedy that way!
Laughing

In all seriousness, it was in my early teens. And, really, I don't think of wanting a gazillion things as part of the Christmas spirit, but merely youthful exuberance. I make a list of all the things I want to buy, and then separate it into what I'm going to buy immediately (or at least, up until Christmas), and what others can buy as presents. I don't really have expensive tastes, but on the odd occasions I have, I always make sure I shop around for them, so it'll have the least impact on their wallets (and that way, I don't get any surprises. I dislike surprises because there's a strong possibility they'll get me something I already have). I don't see the pricey things, the many many things, as an expression of Christmas. Getting things you'll enjoy, and in turn getting others things they'll enjoy, and seeing their happy faces, is what makes the Christmas spirit.

Now, I have a question for everyone, too. How do you feel about the term 'Happy Holidays' instead of 'Merry Christmas'?

Personally, I'm for it. Christmas isn't the only holiday to fall in that period, and we live in a multi-cultural society, and you don't know what strangers celebrate, so it's more a case of saying 'Happy Whatever You Celebrate' to them. If you know them, and know their inclination, then you can be more specific, like 'Merry Christmas' or 'Happy Kwanza' or 'Happy Hanukkah' or 'Happy Yule', but if you don't, then I've found it's easier to be more inclusive and we go on from there.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Life Is The Path wrote:

Now, I have a question for everyone, too. How do you feel about the term 'Happy Holidays' instead of 'Merry Christmas'?

Personally, I'm for it. Christmas isn't the only holiday to fall in that period, and we live in a multi-cultural society, and you don't know what strangers celebrate, so it's more a case of saying 'Happy Whatever You Celebrate' to them. If you know them, and know their inclination, then you can be more specific, like 'Merry Christmas' or 'Happy Kwanza' or 'Happy Hanukkah' or 'Happy Yule', but if you don't, then I've found it's easier to be more inclusive and we go on from there.

I have no problem with the term "Happy Holidays" because, as you pointed out, Christmas is not the only holiday being celebrated this time of year. However, I find it very agravating when someone blows up at me because I say "merry Christmas". I'm just saying what is correct for what i celebrate. I'm not trying to be rude on purpose. Just let me know that you don't celebrate the holiday and say thanks for the gesture though because thats all it is! It's almost like saying "have a good day!".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Exactly! And on the other side, I get people getting annoyed that I say Happy Holidays, stating that, for them it's Christmas. I tell then say 'fine, Merry Christmas' and when they say the same in return I say, 'excuse me, but for me it's Happy Yule. Or Happy holidays.' this is usually followed by running away quickly. It's not me denying that it's one holiday or another, just trying to be nice without excluding anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I don't mind whatsoever if you say "Happy Holidays", as long as you don't mind that I say "Merry Christmas". What gets me, however, are the "Holiday Trees". Excuse me...the what? As far as I am aware, they are only used for the Christmas holiday. The only reason the name would change is because of the aversion to the word "Christmas" itself. And yes, this greatly annoys me. If you don't want to say Christmas, or are offended by the word (and I will grant you this), then don't buy a tree and don't celebrate the holiday!

I don't celebrate Kwanzaa or Hanukkah, but I don't mind if these terms are used by the people who do, or are advertised in stores that sell related merchandise. I simply do not participate.

Arg. But anyway.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 2 of 9