Star Wars: The Essential Reader's Companion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:47 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Beyond the Films posted that this spoils TOR: Annihilation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Mad Wook wrote:
Beyond the Films posted that this spoils TOR: Annihilation.

As well as Scoundrels and the Insider short leading into Scoundrels. Be warned.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

2 days until mine arrives. I can't wait!

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:07 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

We discussed all the potential works spoiled by this and so much more. On the next SWBTF #40

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I just got mine from Amazon today!

At a glance, I noticed three things:

1- Love the art.
2- Love the structure.
3- (and I totally called that this would happen) I love how it includes reference to key events in comics. At a glance I saw the Knight Errant comics, the Jedi vs. Sith comics, Dark Empire, and Union. In the case of the first two, they tie deeply into novels, so it makes sense to reference them. For the latter two, these depict important events, so an accurate history must include them. LOVE IT.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote  

I have to admit, I would have like more trivia on each book. I'd also like to see all the artwork eventually be shared online.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Mine came in today and one word sums up my first (very light) skim threw...... Awesomeness!!!!!!

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

1337Jedi wrote:
Mine came in today and one word sums up my first (very light) skim threw...... Awesomeness!!!!!!

This was me today.

I've already started reviewing my timeline to determine how much the new information changes what I have. So far, there's only one thing I disagree with in the book which I will address when I post the timeline update (Its pretty minor).

What does make me VERY happy is that they've sorted out the mess of the novels in the Clone Wars Era. Yes, that still leaves a lot of comics to figure out how to place, let alone the TV series, but its good that they've gotten a start on it.

Also, I was pleased to discover that almost every short story seems to have an entry in the book. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be that complete on them.

I do wish they had at least included a reference to more comics, even if they weren't going to do synopses, just to show where they fit in. Minor gripe.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

One more thing: I'm glad it specified that many of the TCW novels take place in 22 BBY.

Wookieepedia has been obsessed with the fact that the only official date we were ever given for TCW was 21 BBY (which came from an obscure reference in the UK Star Wars Annual 2011). This is despite the fact that the novels (which usually trump reference material) specifically said things like "9 weeks after Geonosis".

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
One more thing: I'm glad it specified that many of the TCW novels take place in 22 BBY.

Wookieepedia has been obsessed with the fact that the only official date we were ever given for TCW was 21 BBY (which came from an obscure reference in the UK Star Wars Annual 2011). This is despite the fact that the novels (which usually trump reference material) specifically said things like "9 weeks after Geonosis".

Unfortunately saying its "9 weeks after Geonosis" is kinda bull.

It means that either a) a sith-tonne of stuff is no longer cannon, b) the characters had to be in 3 places at the same time, or c) the date is wrong.

I'm gonna go with c.

There's simply no way to fit the Clone Wars material in if we go with the date of "Wild Space" being 7 weeks after Geonosis. It simply doesn't work. Traviss should never have put that in, and it should never have been approved, because it causes really stupid headaches.

I'm currently trying to work out a more realistic timeline for that period. If anyone wants to help out, check out my "unofficial EUC Timeline" thread.

There's a couple other places where I've noticed things in the guide that blatantly make no sense. (Allegiance and Choices of One being moved a year earlier, into a timeframe MUCH more filled with stories, for no discernible reason for instance).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Traviss didn't write Wild Space. Karen Miller did.

Also, I'm assuming Pablo knows a bit more about what's happening than we do so I'll give him the benefit when it comes to moving Allegiance and Choices of One.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Maybe making room for the new duology? Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Darth_Henning wrote:

There's a couple other places where I've noticed things in the guide that blatantly make no sense. (Allegiance and Choices of One being moved a year earlier, into a timeframe MUCH more filled with stories, for no discernible reason for instance).

Similarly, I was surprised to see Crosscurrent and Riptide before Millennium Falcon. I always assumed they took place at the same time as FOTJ based on the conversations Jaden has with Luke.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:

Also, I'm assuming Pablo knows a bit more about what's happening than we do so I'll give him the benefit when it comes to moving Allegiance and Choices of One.

My bad. Remembered it was a Karen. Picked the wrong one.

Point stands. It was a poor line to include that added nothing to the story but caused problems down the road.

I'm sure Pablo knows far more than I do, but I don't think he's infallible either. That one just doesn't make sense, and I'd be curious to hear the reasoning behind it, because I can't see any.

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Darth_Henning wrote:

Similarly, I was surprised to see Crosscurrent and Riptide before Millennium Falcon. I always assumed they took place at the same time as FOTJ based on the conversations Jaden has with Luke.

I've always seen Riptide as occurring before for no particular reason. The conversation with Luke in Crosscurrent does hint that its fairly close in time to Falcon though. It is fairly clear Luke is still on Coruscant and in charge of things in that conversation, but I pick up a bit of strain. If it was during FOTJ (after the first few Outcast chapters) he either couldn't communicate with Luke (due to the whole exile thing) or would be recalled to deal with the sith.

The placement makes sense to me in general, though I would lean towards moving them a year after LOTF rather than immediately after.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Darth_Henning wrote:
Cerrinea wrote:

My bad. Remembered it was a Karen. Picked the wrong one.

Point stands. It was a poor line to include that added nothing to the story but caused problems down the road.

Expanded Universe is Star Wars tie in literature. To sell books, they're gonna have a lot of books during this time even to the point where Han, Luke, and Leia are doing everything simultaneously. It doesn't make in-universe sense, but from from a business point of view, I totally get it.

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Maybe making room for the new duology?

I hope it's for more Timothy Zahn!

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 4 of 7