The Wrath of Darth Maul
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Oh yeah, I'd completely forgotten Dooku even existed. As you were.

I don't why everyone wants to bring Maul. It's much simpler, more convenient and makes more sense just to let him die in that reactor shaft them write about him before Episode I. The comics did it, Shadow Hunter did it, why can't everyone else. Maul is probably the most popular character for non-canon stuff, like the Tales and Visionaries comic, but not much hard, definitive canon.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

Last edited by DannikJerriko on Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
The NEC said that Sidious trained Maul in secret away from Plagueis, but I'm not sure whether to take the NEC at face value or not.

Somehow I don't remember that....going to have to look that up when I get home.

NEC is pretty safe for cannon, rarely found mistakes. Interesting....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't understand it either, Dannik. *scowls*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The New Essential Chronology all but stated that Plagueis created Anakin. Maul has likewise been depicted as being trained as a child. That's the closest confirmation there is.

But if the idea that Plagueis created Anakin is even being entertained, then Maul would have had to have been trained while Plagueis was alive.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
The New Essential Chronology all but stated that Plagueis created Anakin. Maul has likewise been depicted as being trained as a child. That's the closest confirmation there is.

But if the idea that Plagueis created Anakin is even being entertained, then Maul would have had to have been trained while Plagueis was alive.

Hmmm.. I'd forgotten this. that doesn't bother me TOO much, but ... I'll hold comment until I see how its handled (if it is).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I looked the book up on Amazon. It's on page 32: Unknown to Plagueis, Sidious had taken the Zabrak from his homeworld of Iridonia...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
I looked the book up on Amazon. It's on page 32: Unknown to Plagueis, Sidious had taken the Zabrak from his homeworld of Iridonia...

I repeat; hashtagfacepalm.

Is there no end to this? Darth Maul: Saboteur pays he is Iridonian, even though he is explicitly Dathomirian.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DannikJerriko wrote:
Alan Skywalker V wrote:

Is there no end to this? Darth Maul: Saboteur pays he is Iridonian, even though he is explicitly Dathomirian.

Maul has always been Iridonian...until Lucas decided to say "screw that" in TWC.

EDIT: easy retcon- maul and his family were from iridona - when Palpy realized how powerful/useful they were, he moved the rest of them to dathomere where the nightsisters could train up their members until they were of use to him (or Dooku) when they could come pick up the 'finished' product, without having to invest full sith training in them.

Last edited by Darth_Henning on Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth_Henning wrote:
DannikJerriko wrote:
Alan Skywalker V wrote:

Maul has always been Iridonian...until Lucas decided to say "screw that" in TWC.

It makes absolutely no sense, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth_Henning wrote:

EDIT: easy retcon- maul and his family were from iridona - when Palpy realized how powerful/useful they were, he moved the rest of them to dathomere where the nightsisters could train up their members until they were of use to him (or Dooku) when they could come pick up the 'finished' product, without having to invest full sith training in them.

Maybe ...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
Darth_Henning wrote:
DannikJerriko wrote:
Alan Skywalker V wrote:

It makes absolutely no sense, doesn't it?

see edit to my above entry. Actually an easy fix.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Huh. Bear in mind I got this info from my poster. Never mind. Never did much research on Maul, I'm hoping to actually read all his stuff directly. Apologies for my ignorance.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DannikJerriko wrote:
Huh. Bear in mind I got this info from my poster. Never mind. Never did much research on Maul, I'm hoping to actually read all his stuff directly. Apologies for my ignorance.

I've only read SHadow Hunter and Saboteur, so I'm a little ignorant as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't understand the issue with some of these things saying that Darth Maul is from Iridonia. The Star Wars galaxy or expanded universe should be treated the way Stover treated Shadows of Mindor; like actual history. "People who insist on categorizing facts into hierarchies of canon need to read actual history, in which nothing is "canonical," but is instead only established to varying degrees of verifiability."

The opening crawl to Return of the Jedi says that Luke's homeworld is Tatooine. But he was born on Polis Massa! Likewise Tarkin was wrong when he said Alderaan was Leia's home planet! Error on the script writer's part!

I'm sure a book somewhere says that Tatooine is Anakin Skywalker's home planet, and it's wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The home planet(or hometown in RL) is not where you're born, but where you're raised.

Luke was raised on Tatooine and Leia on Alderaan during their early years, so those two are their home planets, their birth on Polis Massa not withstanding. Same applies to their father. Tatooine is his home planet, though he may have been born elsewhere.

With Maul, it wasn't until TCW came out that he was identified as coming from Dathomir, so I still hold that he is Iridonian. If the revised timeline and other things say that he was born on Iridonia but raised on Dathomir, I could accept that. But I don't hold TCW in very high regard, so what that show says is a moot point for me.

If George Lucas wanted to change everything about Maul(homeworld, survival, ect.) he should have done this TV series right after TPM/AOTC instead of after ROTS.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 9