The Wrath of Darth Maul
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Maul was raised by Palpatine, and not on Iridonia.

If people are really upset over George Lucas contradicting a single sentence in the New Essential Chronology, the result of which is... nothing, I don't recommend that they read the original Essential Chronology which is now out of print.

I don't really see much use for the "sourcebooks" that don't have any narrative. I think a narrative will always trump these "fact books," and that they keep publishing the same ones over and over shows how long they remain accurate.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth_Henning wrote:
illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Darth_Henning wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
DannikJerriko wrote:
Jeeeeeesus! Hadn't even thought of that! What are the in universe dates for Plagueis? Was it meant to be going on during TCW? Or are you talking about something else?

Plagueis will take place in the time leading up to Episode I but I actually think he's still alive till around the time of TCW so maybe actually.

What makes you think that?

I can't see Palpatine training not one but two apprentices of his own without there being issues between them.

You'll love it. I feel.

Wrath of Maul- I look forward to it. If it gets the same "Canon" status as Darth Plagueis we'll be fine. If it doesn't I'm going to enjoy it till the continuity shifts AGAIN then say MEH.

I assume you mean both cannon?

You've known me (and my tastes) long enough that i find that slightly reassuring. Anything that might send me wildly off the deep end? (ie yes or no, no details required)

I'm leaning towards yes.... but a strong maybe.... butu I did enjoy the book if that helps.

Crash Override wrote:
It's already been established that Palpatine was training Maul before Plagueis was dead; at least, in order for there to be any ambiguity concerning Anakin's origin.

I've never seen an official reference to that outside fan speculation. Source me please?[/quote]

The Jedi vs Sith Essential guide. The dates leave it all but stated, but then again other things WILL be defined in DP. As a long time TOS Force Philosophy fan, I was having a hay day!

Crash Override wrote:

I don't really see much use for the "sourcebooks" that don't have any narrative. I think a narrative will always trump these "fact books," and that they keep publishing the same ones over and over shows how long they remain accurate.

We shouldn't fault the books for George's changes in direction though. Wink

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:

You've known me (and my tastes) long enough that i find that slightly reassuring. Anything that might send me wildly off the deep end? (ie yes or no, no details required)

I'm leaning towards yes.... but a strong maybe.... butu I did enjoy the book if that helps.
[/quote]

Oh lovely....

illogicalRogue2 wrote:

The Jedi vs Sith Essential guide. The dates leave it all but stated, but then again other things WILL be defined in DP. As a long time TOS Force Philosophy fan, I was having a hay day!

I AM looking forward to reading it though. Just have to catch up on the last 3 novels first.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
We shouldn't fault the books for George's changes in direction though. Wink

I don't fault the books. I just don't see the point in getting bent out of shape if an essential guide says "X is true" and then George or someone else has a story that says "X is false." Okay, so the essential guide is wrong, but it's not like it ruins a story. Darth Maul being from either Iridonia or Dathomir is completely immaterial because he was raised from a young age by Darth Sidious and doesn't even remember where he's from. Maybe he thought he was from Iridonia because he didn't remember Dathomir and that's where his species is from? Maybe he was from Dathomir but Sidious found him on Iridonia (similar to Asajj being on Rattatak)? Who knows?

It's just such a non-issue.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't think any of us were saying "ZOMGZ it ruins the story" but the fast that it IS such a non-issue brings up more the question, why couldn't Lucas (or whoever was writing that sentence of dialogue) take 5 seconds, check what the birthplace was, and then use the SAME one, rather than change it for no reason at all.

Take other examples:

Ryloth in TCW - for years it was established that half the planet is baked with sun, half is in constant darkness with a very narrow habitable zone. Yet in TCW its shown to have day and night. Why did they have to show things at night? Show the exact same scenes, in late-afternoon twilight in the exact same way, with the exact same plot, and there's no annoying contradiction. Unnecessary immaterial change. So why the change?

Death of Master Piell in TCW - he was already shown to have died in Coruscant Nights. Replace with different Jedi master (heck, use the same species for all I care). Use same plot. No change to the point of the story, no unnecessary contraction. So why use THAT character? Especially since it was his only appearance.

So many of the problems in TCW should be exactly what you say, nonissues - if LFL took 10 minutes per episode to check that things didn't contradict needlessly. But because they don't, it becomes a problem that has to be explained as to WHY the contradictions exist.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Maul's origin from Dathomir is kind of important to the story on TCW.

Are you suggesting they should just scrap the story with the Nightsisters and all that because of one sentence in the essential guide?

This is why continuity is stupid.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:09 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I dont know too much about the book other then waht people have said so heres a theory.

Plageuis is alive during TPM, he is unaware of Maul and its possible Plageuis meets his end in the years between TPM and AOTC.

Perhaps shortly after TPM.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Quick poll: Who's going to be getting this?

I should perhaps ask, are you getting it if you're not an addict (and thus will be getting it regardless Razz) .
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Already made my feelings clear about this bantha poodoo. Wink

Still, if anyone else gets it, I won't get upset.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:48 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Count me out on this. I dont want Maul as a character to be ruined and I fear this will ruin him so no.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've said all I'm going to say on this subject.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:04 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

No way I'm getting this.

All of our arguments raise one single point;

Why? There is no explanation or reason or sensible argument for this. There arre no words. Except the ones we've all said. And are going to say. But apart from them. There are no words.

Anyway, nothing we can do. George want, George get. Or just some stupid author who's never read a single line of EU.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:08 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

To my mind the book never happened. Thats how strongly I feel about Maul, one of the few good things to come from TPM.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
Darth Maul's origin from Dathomir is kind of important to the story on TCW.

Are you suggesting they should just scrap the story with the Nightsisters and all that because of one sentence in the essential guide?

This is why continuity is stupid.

I've only seen to the end of Season 3, so if what I'm about to say contradicts with season 4 please correct me.

Maul has not been shown to have been raised on dathomere, or have anything to do with the Nightsisters. Why does he have to? Taken from Iridonia and Raised by Palpy is the same as taken from Dathomere. Unless he got pre-training before he was about 5 years old from them, its utterly a pointless change.

There is no reason to scrap what I've seen of the nightsisters because it has nothing to do with Maul, its just that he shouldn't be mentioned as having been from there.

Life Is The Path wrote:
Quick poll: Who's going to be getting this?

I should perhaps ask, are you getting it if you're not an addict (and thus will be getting it regardless Razz) .

Yeah, I'm a completist, so I'm getting it, no matter how much its concept makes me sick. It's not part of Cannon, so what can ya do...

darthrevan1 wrote:
To my mind the book never happened. Thats how strongly I feel about Maul, one of the few good things to come from TPM.

Saddly until we hear otherwise, it has.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth_Henning wrote:
Sigh. Not promising. This revent obsession with Maul is ridiculous IMHO.

I think the obsession with Maul comes from the fact that Episode I is being released in 3D next year.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 4 of 9