Darth Maul will be in Season 4!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Maul will be in Season 4!
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote  

Entertainment Weekly and USA Today have both announced that Darth Maul will be in Season 4 of The Clone Wars. Filoni says that Maul's return might involve a bit of unnatural dark side power. So, time to talk it up.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dumb. At this point I've ignored the Clone Wars as canon and I'll continue to. I actually never got into the show at all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I guess when you can't kill any of your main villains, you can always bring and old one back to life and kill him again.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Ever since we've seen that flash of him in that Dathomiri 8 ball, I've come to accept (become resigned to) the fact that he'll be back, so this really isn't much news to me. Still, if they're going to bring him back, it should be - had better be - one of the best episodes ever. At least we'll have that to look forward to.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Darth Bane turned up and announced he was Maul's great great great grandad.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote  

Ahhh, such negativity. I'll admit, the idea of bringing Maul back could be dumb, but it could also be cool. In the efforts of maintaining optimism, I'm going to hold out for a cool episode. The dark side is no stranger to bringing dead things to life, the real question is whether Maul saved himself with the dark side or if someone helped him. Might Palpatine have decided his apprentice could still be useful? And maybe since Maul did die, it showed he wasn't worthy of being a Lord of the Sith, so he got demoted to tool, kind of like Ventress. Cool

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I can't begin to express how dumb this is. I used to sympathize with Lucas for ignoring EU continuity because of dumb things happening in it (Waru, Palpatine being cloned etc). No more. *headdesk*

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm calling it that he'll be voiced by Sam Witwer.

And I actually like this. I don't think Star Wars should take itself *too* seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Star Wars shouldn't take itself too *not* seriously either.

We all know why they're doing this: $ $

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I find it interesting that the EW article says that Sidious used the dark side ability to cheat death to keep Vader alive, and that Filoni says “He’s suffered through a lot to keep himself alive and implemented the training of his master to do so.”

I wonder if this means no more saberstaff for Maul.

Re: Darth Maul will be in Season 4!
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Entertainment Weekly and USA Today have both announced that Darth Maul will be in Season 4 of The Clone Wars. Filoni says that Maul's return might involve a bit of unnatural dark side power. So, time to talk it up.

Perhaps we'll see Darth Sidious' mitcholdrian powers he learned from Darth Plagueis? Because that would be a promotional trifecta. Keep in mind I say this as a person that has seriously only seen 3 TCW episodes.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

My rant from elsewhere when I found out about this earlier:

I loved the return of Boba Fett, but only because Boba Fett didn't technically die. But being cut in half and falling down a very large shaft counts as dead.

And now we're counting up:

1. Boba Fett
2. Starkiller
3. Darth Maul

And they get successively more ridiculous:

1. Sarlacc death...technically escapable
2. Stabbed with a lightsaber and tossed into vacuum...very much less escapable
3. Cut in half and tossed down a reactor shaft...impossibly escapable

Conclusion: Oh, George. *sigh*

It's not the plausibility that bothers me at all. It's the way it cheapens all deaths, because how can we even take them seriously when it's always possible to reverse them? Time to bring back Anakin and Mara! Whoo! And how about Chewie while we're at it? And that X-Wing pilot that never got enough page time?

Yes, indeed. My cynicism is flaring nicely.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd be all for bringing back Arvel Crynyd.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Okay, you made me laugh. Laughing

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Maul's survival doesn't bother me. It's not as bad as resurrecting Palpatine because Darth Maul wasn't the arch antagonist that the story was about defeating and Maul's defeat wasn't a major event that was undone, like Anakin sacrificing his life to kill Palpatine. It doesn't really ruin the narrative.

As for the actual mechanism behind his survival, I suppose being cut in half and falling down a reactor shaft is a step up from being tossed down a reactor shaft. These articles say that Filoni was tasked by Lucas to come up with a means to resurrect Maul, and Filoni says “He’s suffered through a lot to keep himself alive and implemented the training of his master to do so.”

His survival might be a matter of looking at his character incorrectly. He's viewed as being a pure weapon of Palpatine, a one dimensional Sith Lord that can act as an assassin and has no motives of his own beyond obeying Palpatine. Perhaps Darth Maul was a fully capable Sith that was immensely strong in the Force and was planning to usurp Palpatine as the master? That he didn't return to Palpatine's service despite his survival might suggest that. And if he's using his master's training to do so, and Filoni is an EU fan, perhaps Maul's survival is explained in a way that makes more sense:

But I like Dark Empire.

Also, earlier I was running through my mind characters that died, whether literally or inconclusively, and were brought back, and I completely forgot about Starkiller (twice).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series

Page 1 of 6