New Jedi Order Appreciation Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:39 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
How do people feel about Dark Journey? Admittedly, I don't remember it. Everyone talks about Traitor, but you don't hear much about this book which is kind of Jaina's Traitor.

I had the opposite reaction to it then I did Traitor. When I first read the book, I didn't like it and didn't go back and reread it for a long time. It was always one of the books I skipped when rereading NJO. When I finally did reread it once again, I found myself enjoying it far more.

While with Traitor, the first time I read it I walked away happy with it (most likely due to the great ending) but when I went back to reread it found myself not enjoying it at all and skipping to reread just the end.

Though I do wish some other sources wouldn't play up Jania's brush with the dark side. I have no problems with people leaning towards the dark, especially in war where both your siblings are killing one right after another (which was what Jania thought at the time). However some resources talk about Dark Journey are her going completely dark, which I don't think she did.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
How do people feel about Dark Journey? Admittedly, I don't remember it. Everyone talks about Traitor, but you don't hear much about this book which is kind of Jaina's Traitor.

I enjoyed it. One of the main complaints a friend of mine had about it was that Jaina kind of turned into the sultry little Jedi vixen and every man wanted her, but I just re-read it and it was only Jag. I actually didn't mind some prime focus on the Hapan political spectrum. Its nowhere near as good as Traitor but its decent for a singularly focused novel. If it'd had the focus that Jacen's story did it may have wound up one of the most memorable books of the NJO.

EDIT: On the subject of Destiny's Way I'm 10 chapters in and I just finished reading the council with Shimmra in his first full-on appearance (not via villip). Shimmra and Onimi's true relationship is very much hinted at in the way Onimi talks and the way he seems to be able to move throughout the conversation while falling quiet during investigations. This was what I wish they'd done with Apocalypse. Just subtle hints at the true nature or history would have been great and helped the build-up of Abeloth. Onimi is a superior villain to me because of his hidden yet obvious nature. People were theorizing about whether or not HE was truly in charge from the release of this novel on and though it was kept hidden well the tiny hints were enough to spark theory. It was more fun and it developed the ending of the series more. Wish it were still done this way.

Aslo: Walter Jon Williams says 'bulbous' a lot. Excessively, to the point that I believe its his favorite word. Its been said multiple times just within chapters 11 and 12. Onimi's head, Vong structures, someone's air-sac, all called 'bulbous'.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Just got done with TUF and I...am...exhausted! I re-read the NJO and burnt through 6 of those books this week alone. My brain feels scarred as Onimi's and my eyes are as droopy and such as a Vong's. This has been a good experience, but tiring. I still love this era. Of the literature this will probably remain my favorite era. It remains more bold, more ambitious, and more unique than any other thus far in terms of character development, story, and especially size. I do indeed wish they'd do more with it as we have many Jedi like Jaden Korr, Kyle Katarn, and even the newcomer Mander Zuma (who may now also have NJO stories possible, haven't read Scourge yet though I'll start it tomorrow) have stories to tell. Even Destiny's Way glossed over so much in its second half that would leave room for wonderful standalones or duologies within this era that describe the strikes and battles that take place. I'd love to just wallow in this era awhile longer, but the new novel awaits so I move on.

Anakin's death still hurt like hell, I'll never be ok with that. We can't handle two stories with two Anakin's at once because we'll get confused George? Bug off, your prequels pale in comparison to the NJO in terms of character and story anyway, so you shouldn't meddle where you are no longer required.

I'm off my soapbox now. Everyone go re-read the NJO and remember it!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alright...so next November makes 10 years since the epic conclusion to the best installment of Del Rey's reign. 10 years! Surely it's not too much to ask, at this point, for more epic? *whimper* Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:41 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Alright...so next November makes 10 years since the epic conclusion to the best installment of Del Rey's reign. 10 years! Surely it's not too much to ask, at this point, for more epic? *whimper* Sad

Oh my George Lucas I suddenly feel even older.... Wow ten years without a LONG series as good as that one. And yet people still think shorter is better. Like they forget that the NJO was standalones duologies and one trilogy. I so wish they would go back to a strategy that was well thought out and well executed but most importantly with an EXIT STRATEGY!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Like they forget that the NJO was standalones duologies and one trilogy.

I have never thought of the NJO as standalones, duologies, and trilogies. It's all one long series to me. And it was branded as 1 long series.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm kind of glad they didn't do more books in the New Jedi Order format. While I personally enjoyed it, almost everyone I know who used to read Star Wars books stopped during that time period. It wasn't the new characters or the new villain that turned them off, but (according to them) the way it felt like they didn't know where they were going. And I can somewhat understand, there were several plot points introduced that were quickly dropped and forgotten about.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

GrandMaster wrote:
illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Like they forget that the NJO was standalones duologies and one trilogy.

I have never thought of the NJO as standalones, duologies, and trilogies. It's all one long series to me. And it was branded as 1 long series.

It was one long series to me as well, simply because to really be considered a time period, I would have to be able to start on any duolagy, stand-alone, or trilogy, and have it make sense, and you couldn't do that with NJO.

And I'm also glad they didn't do more books in the series, because while it was great, I ended up wanting it to end about 3 books earlier than it did. It just got so long, it began to feel like you would watch the characters go though all these troubles, and no real progress would be made.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

But you could buy just the hardcovers and it would still make total sense. And if you want to get technical, Dark Nest, FOTJ, and LOTF wouldn't make a whole lot of sense without one another but they were still touted as their own entities.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I disagree, if you just went out and bought star by star, you would be totally lost. While with FOTJ I could see your point as it was kind of a sequel series to LOTF more than it's own, Dark Nest makes total sense. It might take a little while for you to get a feel for the characters, but that's it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ultimatedash wrote:
I disagree, if you just went out and bought star by star, you would be totally lost. While with FOTJ I could see your point as it was kind of a sequel series to LOTF more than it's own, Dark Nest makes total sense. It might take a little while for you to get a feel for the characters, but that's it.

I jumped into the NJO at Edge of Victory and was just fine, didn't even read the first 6 books till almost 5 years later.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Caedus_16 wrote:
I jumped into the NJO at Edge of Victory and was just fine, didn't even read the first 6 books till almost 5 years later.

I did the same thing with Balance Point but I didn't really understand the background much (it was my first EU novel, actually).

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:

I did the same thing with Balance Point but I didn't really understand the background much (it was my first EU novel, actually).

I remember that by Star by Star I had been given enough information to pretty much get the background. Chewie was dead, Han hadn't handled it well, Vong biotech, galaxy encompassing war, the gist was there. The specifics I filled in later and it helped because the series was so well thought out that the books referenced each other so it helped tons. Actually Edge of Victory was my first foray into Star Wars after several years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Eh, I knew I was in the minority when I posted, bt I'll never be able to look at NJO as an era, and though I enjoyed it at the time, I'm satisfied with what we have, and don't feel the need to go back to it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I think it could be interesting to go back and have fill-in stories. After all, we've had books filling in events during other times that have been well covered - like 'Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor'.

The main events of the Vong war can stand perfectly well as they are, and the actions of the Solos and Skywalkers during the period are pretty well accounted for. However, pretty much the whole galaxy was at war and there's other stuff that was only mentioned in passing or not at all. We know Wraith Squadron were active and they surely had adventures infiltrating the Vong and the Peace Brigade. Groups of the Insiders could have carried out resistance work on conquered planets and it seems likely that the Mandos were involved in actions not previously mentioned.
There's loads of potential material in this era that could make for some great stories alongside the main storyline already told.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 6 of 7