Skyrim
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skyrim
 PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote  

Rather than continuing to hijack the "What Game Are You Playing" thread, figured I'd make a dedicated Skyrim thread.

To begin, let me just share this very wild and profound post I came across on some Skyrim forums (warning, there's some spoiler stuff)

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/nklj2/you_know_those_runes_on_the_lids_of_the_bug_jars/c39wpky

To summarize, some people have been putting a lot of thought into things. It seems the Thalmer are more evil than they initially appear, and that future DLC content will be geared toward the White Tower.

There's also so threads about these bug jars with cryptic runes on them which people have deciphered using in-game content. It ties in with a speculative Thalmer plot to destroy the world and wipe all mankind from existence. Pretty funny theory.

See, five of the holds form a pentagon, and there is another pentagon within them formed by some locations. at the center is a Talos shrine and they think that the stones there, combined with an offering of the bug jars in the correct order will bring about the end days.

Very amusing stuff. Personally I like the tower theories cause it ties in to Stephen King's Dark Tower.

And for something lighter, what's everyone's favorite Dragon Shout? I like Whirlwind myself. Good for jumping passed raised bridges.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The White-Gold Tower? Or the Direnni Tower?

Edit: If you're referring to this prophecy:

Quote:
When misrule takes its place at the eight corners of the world
When the Brass Tower walks and Time is reshaped
When the thrice-blessed fail and the Red Tower trembles
When the Dragonborn Ruler loses his throne, and the White Tower falls
When the Snow Tower lies sundered, kingless, bleeding
The World-Eater wakes, and the Wheel turns upon the Last Dragonborn.

The Brass Tower is either the Numidium or Direnni tower and "Time is reshaped" is the Warp in the West.
The thrice-blessed is the Tribunal and the Red Tower is Red Mountain.
The Dragonborn Ruler is either Uriel Septim VII or Martin Septim or the Septim Dynasty and it's referring to the end of that dynasty in Oblivion and the White Tower is the White-Gold Tower, and by falling it's specifically referring to the Thalmor sacking the Imperial city.

The Snow Tower is presumably the Blue Palace in Solitude or Skyrim as a whole, and Ulfric killed the High King so it's kingless and I can only imagine that bleeding refers to the civil war.

I find it interesting that the Dovahkiin is described as the "last Dragonborn."

Edit 2: I'm still reading what this guy wrote but in his final edit he admits he didn't know the lore so I'm trying to see if I can figure out what is going on here.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

What's Skyrim? Wink

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm not sure if White-Gold Tower is going to be DLC. On the PC version of Skyrim if you turn no-clip on you can fly around and Morrowind, Vvardenfell, Red Mountain, Cyrodiil, the White-Gold Tower, High Rock, Hammerfell, and possibly Black Marsh and/or Elseweyr have been fully rendered.

But those could be simply for scale, and the presence of the White-Gold Tower might have been simply so that you could see it from certain distances at certain points of Skyrim.

I think it would be cool to visit Cyrodiil again and see how it is in the aftermath of the Great War. I really want to see Akavir or have the game deal with the Akavir.

Having further read his post, I think it's worth noting that the dragon that the elves refer to is Akatosh and not the dragons of Skyrim. The prophecy is really contingent upon understanding the origin myths of the cultures in Tamriel.

The understanding that my friend and I have come to is that through the usage of the Numidium, which according to the Arcturian Heresy (and thus of dubious veracity), Tiber Septim aka Talos aka Stormcrown aka Hjalti Early-Beard powered the Numidium with the Mantella in lieu of Lorkhan's heart (which the Tribunal had), which is a massive soul gem. In order to power it, Talos and his Imperial Battle Mage Zurin Arctus betrayed Talos' ally Ysmir -- said to be a Shezzarine or avatar of Shezzar aka Shor aka Lorkhan.

Somehow Zurin Arctus died in all this -- according to other accounts Talos betrayed him and used his soul instead of Ysmir's.

My friend and I decided that there was some weird stuff going on here and that somehow their three souls conflated, and the divinity inherent in whomever was the Shezzarine is what resulted on Talos achieving divinity. The Arcturian Heresy doesn't really make sense but it's the only version of the story that really explains how Talos achieved apotheosis, or at least provides an avenue for it.

Anyway, according to the origin myth, the distinction between the daedra and the aedra are that the elves consider the latter to be ancestors and the former are not. The aedra are technically weaker than daedra because they relinquished some of their being in order to create Nirn per the design of Lorkhan. Apparently Lorkhan is the trickster god because the other divinities didn't realize that they would be doing this, and that some of them, like Magnus, realized it and fled. The sun is the hole torn by Magnus in his retreat back to Aetherius so he wouldn't be tied to Nirn, and the stars are caused by lesser divinities.

The lesser divinities trapped on Mundus had apparently become mortal and began reproducing, with each generation of weaker ability until their divinity had become diluted enough that they were the Mer, or elves.

Which I suppose is why the elves hate Lorkhan, because I guess they think they would be gods without his fooling of the divinities into creating Nirn.

Also for the first technical (Dawn) era of Tamriel there was no concept of linear time until Akatosh, the god of time, established it with the Merethic era, which is when the stuff with Alduin went down. I guess the elves want to restore that.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

I still haven't read the "mind-blowing" thread the guy links to, I guess I need to do that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

My favourite Dragon Shout? Fus Ro Dah.

I've not played it as yet, so I can't really comment on what's been said above (except for Reep's comment. He will die by Dragon Shout), but there are just a few videos I want to share.

This is why dragons shouldn't touch alcohol.

And

RoosterTeeth's Kill The Meme
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The shouts I've used most are:

Unrelenting Force
Fire Breath
Ice Breath
Ice Form
Become Ethereal
Dragonrend
Storm Call
Call of Valor

I still want to call Odahviing and turn into a werewolf in a city and turn it into a ghost town. I think Unrelenting Force and Dragonrend are my most used. Dragonrend would probably be the most used if it wasn't received so late in the game.

I read a bunch of TES lore after reading this thread yesterday and my knowledge has expanded substantially

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:51 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Dragonrend is the best! no more annoying dragons refusing to land and blasting me into Oblivion...(pun intended Wink )

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Awesome Cool

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote  

My favorite shout so far is the fire breath one mainly because of its usefulness in dealing with undead.

And here are some funny Penny Arcade comics on Skyrim:

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/11/14

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/11/09

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote  

I need to start using more magic.

Hey, has anyone ever found an item enchanted with waterbreathing? I've been everywhere but Dawnstar and I've never found one.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote  

Not me, but I haven't gone much beyond Whiterun yet. I'm personally looking out for a nighteye enchantment. Even though I play Khajiit I still prefer being able to turn nighteye on and off at will instead of having to wait for it to wear off before entering a bright area.

I think I'll probably make a mage type character at some other point but I really do like how they've made it possible to not need any magic whatsoever to do well. I think its also an improvement eliminating the ability to carry a claymore and still throw fireballs at will.

I'll probably stock pile a bunch of high level magic enhancing items later on just so I can try it out, maybe go a sort of spellsword route with my existing character just for fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've found helmets and circlets with the waterbreathing enchantment. It's useful because even if you don't use enchanting, a ring enchanted with it with skill level 1 is the same as skill level 100. It's wholly a binary thing, either you have it or you don't. They're pretty much random dungeon loot or found in shops. If you wait 48 hours the shops will reset their stock, so you could just sit in one shop and keep waiting 48 hours until you find one.

The only static waterbreathing item you can get is the Dragon priest mask Volsung which you find at the end of Volskygge, which is in the northwest corner of the map -- north of Markarth and west of Solitude. Dragon priest masks can't be disenchanted and you have to defeat the dragon priest to get it, and they're fairly difficult. If you're a conjurer, they can break your hold on your atronach and make it attack you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote  

I wonder if there is some kind of glitch then. I've been playing quite a long time and I've never ran across a piece of enchanted waterbreathing apparel. Haven't seen anything for nighteye either.

Finally beat the main quest though. I think I might try starting over with an Imperial mercenary and help out the Stormcloaks. This time I'm going to play like a dark side character. All Thalmer must die on sight. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Guys, where can I sell stuff? I want to get rid of some dragon scales/bone? ATM I'm at Windhelm. I'm overloaded with stuff so I can't fast travel (I prefer not to fast-travel anyway).

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote  

The White Phial may or may not buy Dragon scales and bones. There's the blacksmith right across from it and some market stands, one of them sells weapons so I think they'll buy some. Then there is a dark elf with a general good store in the gray quarter. Basically the bottom eastern corner, and off on the west side of town (the gray quarter).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 21