Skyrim
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Once drawn, you can sheathe arrows by pressing X.

I had to start my game over again. I accidentally went with the Imperial, out of He*cough*en, and I didn't want my game to start on the side of people who were trying to kill me. So, then, I went with the stormcloak. Us ex-cons have to stick together, after all. But then, on my second playthrough, when I chose the stormcloak, I was saddened to leave the Imperial guard! I think I got Stockholm syndrome!

I am noticing one or two things that could become problematic. For one thing, the menu doesn't give much detail for quests and side-quests. For instance, I'd like to sign up to these warrior clan people, but I couldn't remember who or where they were. It was only luck that I managed to stumble upon their hall. And, beyond that, I can't remember who I'm supposed to talk to (though there are only a few people in there, so I can just ask around). I foresee this as becoming a bigger problem, in the future.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote  

@Life: when you have the quest up and activated, usually you can push a button to have it pop up on your map to show you the location of where you need to go. Doesn't always work. And if you get really stuck, there's always the internet. I was keeping my laptop handy for a while just so I could look stuff up while I was playing on my xbox.

Right now I'm playing with a fresh character. My goal is to avoid all the major quests and guilds and just level my character up. I'll do small quests and slowly build up my rep. The idea is to earn my place in Skyrim before I go off being the leader of every guild and what not.

Lately I've been playing prospector, roaming the land in search of ore. Pretty fun, actually. I've still never found an enchanted waterbreathing item. I think I'm going to have to break down and go after that dragon priest mask.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Success! I knew about the map, but it was pretty uninformative so I didn't think your advice would be of much help (I hope you can forgive me, old bean, because you were thoroughly right to get me to place my faith in the map), but I changed the screen settings so that I could see the little writing at the bottom. The picture looks a little off, but it's acceptable. What I couldn't see before, but now can, was that you can press the A button to toggle active quests! So now I can see where I have to go. Though the quest description itself is still bare - but that's forgiveable, because now I at least can go somewhere and ask random people questions until I either remember what it is I'm supposed to do, or find the person I'm looking for.

It's quite a relief, I can tell you. I spent last night running around Whiterun trying to find some bloke called Armen and return a sword that a group of vagabonds had stolen (which was quite hilarious in itself. The leader was too strong for me in hand to hand combat, so I settled on hiding in a corner and shooting dozens and dozens of arrows at his head!) but I couldn't for the life of me remember where I'd met him, or if he'd told me to meet him somewhere.

Anyway, all this is to say: thanks!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote  

Haha, glad you got that worked out. I just returned Amren's sword the other day, but my problem was I knew who to look for, I just couldn't find him. Cool

I know one thing the really improved my gaming experience was turning off all the autosaves. I couldn't believe how much faster it made the loading screens when going in between indoor and outdoor environments. They were really eating up a lot of time. I think by default it saves every time you open the menu, every time a load screen pops up, etc. Way too much saving and time consumption.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Does anyone else have a problem with the tiny writing on the Xbox?

And with Amren's sword, I didn't know I had this quest, so when I found him, he just said thanks and upped my block and one handed! I dind't even know I had the sword. Serendipity FTW!

Today a friend said that he hated Skyrim, despite not having played it or seen any gameplay, he'd only heard it described. So for the rest of the day I only replied to him with "Fus ro dah"!

Just found Esbern, now escaping the Ratway. The Scottish guy you have to talk to to get into the Ratway, Byrnholf or something, gave me some side quests to do, which involved "teaching a lesson" to some debtors, but I decided not to do them as I wanted to be a good guy.

I'm using my Fine Forsworn bow alot. It does 21 damage, 3x damage when sneaking and an additional 25% more damage anyway. So a decent sneak attack could get me at most 80 damage.

One side quest I'm concentrating on is finding 10 bear pelts for some woman, and I have 8 so far.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote  

I started out playing Skyrim on an old tv and I could read any of the writing. Some of the screen wasn't even showing up, it was cut off. I couldn't take it any longer and decided to finally buy a new tv (something I'd been putting off for a while). With the big screen plasma, none of the words are small. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Rolling Eyes I'm having that same problem, too. And on a number of other games, as a matter of fact - most notably RPGs. I think it's all down to the TV. Mine isn't very old, but it isn't new, either, and rather small.

I'm currently doing a quest for the Jarl of Whiterun, where I have to go to the old ruins overlooking Riverwood (almost called it Rivendell) to get a dragon stone of some type. I'm currently trying to learn how to sneak up on people and kill them quickly and quietly. I haven't figured out how to do the quiet bit yet, though. Or the quickly bit, either. I may go back to the Forsworn camp to get a bow. Hopefully there'll be one lying about. It was rather interesting, going to the Forsworn camp, because every time I went, something new would happen, and I just love the randomocity of it. In one, attacked by an assassin; another, a thief (who had quite a bit of swag on him, so goodness knows what he was doing still thieving); then Imperial guards; then Thalmier justiciers; then sabre toothed cats; then killed by a descending mammoth, after it was launched high into the air; until I finally got there, did the fight thing, got the man, went to Whiterun, realised I had to go to Riverwood, went to Riverwood in the dark, got attacked by wolves, and a troll, and finally he's delivered!

Also working on my hunting skills, though my bow and arrow aren't up to much. One arrow and the stags make a run for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I didn't look for the Forsworn bow, I was just walking around and I stumbled across a camp with three or four Forsworns. I literally just walked through some trees and was like a couple of metres from them! I don't even know who they are.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote  

Lately I've been using the Firebolt spell for hunting. I like it better than using the bow, though I've been having an problem getting it to one shot kill a deer. Almost got my Destruction to 30, I think getting that 25% extra fire damage will do the trick.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsMdWEpnZV8#!

Found it curious that they used a remix of Call of Magic rather than Dragonborn.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I've found myself wating for a minute or two at the main menu to listen to the AWESOME music.

I've recently taken up alchemy, now wherever I walk, I walk along the edges of the paths, scouring for ingredients. If that build-a-house thing happens, I'd love to build a house out in the mountains. I might make someone, and make them a real person, go to bed a 10, wake up a 6, harvest some ingredients, make potions, defend myself against wolves etc. I'd be like Cade Skywalker; someone with uber powers in kind of a self-exile.

Two quests I'm doing ATM; get some sap from a tree for a woman in Whiterun. I just got the sap and got mugged by a Spriggon. Now killed the Spriggon and on my way back to Whiterun.

Another is release someones brother or something from the Thalmor. It's the Clan Battleborn and the other family feud. I'd said I'll do it with no bloodshed.

Before all this, I decided to discover Falkreath and got a quest to find a dog, then that lead me to a shrine of Clarence Vile or something, who claims if I bring him this sword, he'll be able to kill everyone in Skyrim with "A snap of his fingers". So abandoned that. Also, the dog followed me everwhere and blew my cover when sneaking up behind bandits.

And in the main quest, I've taken Esbern back to Delphine in Riverwood, and they said we had to go somewhere, but I have since forgotten where, as I have been doing said side-quests. I heard Delphine say to the inn-keeper in Riverwood "we won't be coming back"; I had all of my stuff stored in a chest in their secret basement, will I be able to go back and get it.

I really want to beast out this game, but my brother and his friend are playing Super Mario Bros Wii. It's infuriating. The difference between the two is maddening.

Anyone thinking of becoming a vampire or werewolf?

Also, I've passed two dragons, if they don't attack me, I don't attack them.

Edit: Can someone explain the pedestals to me? They won't activate.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Clavicus Vile reminds me of someone but I forgot who it was.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I kind of got a Stephen-Merchant-as-Wheatley from Portal 2 vibe.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DannikJerriko wrote:
I had all of my stuff stored in a chest in their secret basement, will I be able to go back and get it.

I'm told by a man in the know that if you don't own the house/dwelling in which the chest is, then those objects may not be there the next time you look.

As to the vampire/werewolf thing, I don't want to. To advance past a certain point with the Companions, you have to join the Circle, and become a werewolf, but I stopped because I don't want to be tied to one thing, and while I hear there are benefits to becoming one, there are detriments, too.

I'm concentrating on becoming a smith, though I haven't gotten far because I'm off up to the Greybeards. I was quite pleased because I faced off against a frost troll all on my onesie, and won! Afterwards I think I'll be going to Windhelm and join the Stormcloaks.

I've only faced off against one dragon (in the mission Dragon Rising - a name which pleased me greatly because I've played a game of that name), but I found it quite easy.

As for my hunting, I came across an Imperial bow and modified it to Fine status, and now I can fell a stag with one shot, given that I land the arrow in the right spot (in profile, just above the forelegs, at the shoulder blades). I never thought hunting skills I'd learned in real life would ever aid me in a game!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Life Is The Path wrote:
DannikJerriko wrote:
I had all of my stuff stored in a chest in their secret basement, will I be able to go back and get it.

I'm told by a man in the know that if you don't own the house/dwelling in which the chest is, then those objects may not be there the next time you look.

I've joined the College of Winterhold and I'm storing most of my stuff there. There's loads of stuff that I don't need and I know I won't use, but I just cant get rid of it. I believe the term is "hoarder"

Life Is The Path wrote:
Afterwards I think I'll be going to Windhelm and join the Stormcloaks.

May I ask why?
---

Question: I have loads of soul gems that I'm not going to use because I don't care about enchanting. Will I need them in the College? If not I'm just going to sell them. Most of my inventory is taken up by potions from my alchemy experiments, but they are useful.

Oh, And I learnt new spells and shouts; Lesser Ward, Summon Flame Atronach, Bound Sword, Fast Heal (just gives you an instant 75 points of health)Conjure Familiar and the Ice Form Shout. I'm now about 3/4 of the way through level 18.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 4 of 21