ROTS vs. TPM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which movie do you like better?
The Phantom Menace
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Revenge of the Sith
88%
 88%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 25

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote  

I'm voting with TPM.

One of the main reasons I didn't vote ROTS:
while it is a great film in terms of visuals, score etc. it has some major problems with OT continuity (if Padme' dies how is it Leia "remembers" her mother?); the OT builds the Clone Wars to sound like a galactic WWII in shere scale but being 10-30 years in duration and ROTS kinda screwed with that.

And my personal preference: while the Battle of Coruscant opening is cool and all TPM's space battle feels much more like the OT because it actually focuses on dogfighting and space combat not "race through the battle as fast as possible and don't engage the enemy fighters." Being raised on the OT space battles are a big part of what I think of Star Wars being about so ROTS's missing the potential to make the Battle of Coruscant even more awesome is noticable to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote  

The Phantom Menace was, and still is (all in my opinion of course) cool because of Maul and the epic fight at the end with him, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Jar Jar certainly hurt things a little, but the big battle on Naboo was pretty cool.

The Revenge of the Sith, however, had Palpatine unleashed, and for that alone I'd like it better. But it also had the fight between Obi-Wan and Greivous, the fight between Obi, Anakin, and Dooku. Plus the Palpatine vs Yoda fight. For all of these things, it wins my overwhelming support.

Note that I did not list the Obi-Wan vs Anakin fight. Honestly, it doesn't do much for me. Embarassed

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

The Obi Wan - Anakin fight was a little ridiculous at times, but I can appreciate the level of energy they put into their performances. The speed with which they fought was natural, I believe, and not doctored in post-production.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:

Note that I did not list the Obi-Wan vs Anakin fight. Honestly, it doesn't do much for me. Embarassed

*gasp* I thought it was one of the best parts of the movie. Shocked

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: Planet Spacoid, (if you look it up on facebook, you will find it)

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:

*gasp* I thought it was one of the best parts of the movie. Shocked

I know right.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

ROTS by far!!!
Nothing can beat that! Cool

Favorite scene: The Anakin vs. Obi-Wan fight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

ROTS

"You were my brother Anakin!"

Nearly makes me cry every time.

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Proudfoot wrote:
ROTS

It really did make me cry when I saw it! I sat through the entire last part of the movie, sniffling up tissues and hoping I didn't wake the rest of the family. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I honestly almost lost it in the theater during the Order 66 sequence. It's just so depressing. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I cried. You've got to give it to George. I sat there in the theater and was emotionally scarred by that scene. Even my Mom cried, and I'd say she's the least fan of all of us!

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I already talked about this, but I forgot to vote. plus one for TPM.

After reading Darth Plagueis I was able to appreciate the story of TPM, and then I watched a fan edited version that fixed most of the mistakes, like pretty much all of jar jar, it was a decent film. Far from good, but a movie that you could watch with the other Star Wars films. I think that it is the only prequel that can both stand on it's own and works alongside the OT.

I haven't read the novelization of ROTS or watched an edit, so maybe that is salvageable, but not the theatrical version.

The problem with all the prequels, but most especially ROTS is that it ruins the OT. I don't mean like 'it's so bad I can't enjoy the originals anymore!' but from a story perspective. The emotional impact of luke finding out about his father in ESB is totally lost because we saw it all before and knew about it even prior to ANH, if you watched the films in their correct order. Same thing for Palpatine, when we first saw him in ROTJ he was a mystery and we had no idea what he was going to do. Now you know that Luke is going to get FL blasted right away.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:59 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Proudfoot wrote:
ROTS

One of the best lines in any of the StarWars movies, if that doesn't get you your just not human!

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
The problem with all the prequels, but most especially ROTS is that it ruins the OT. I don't mean like 'it's so bad I can't enjoy the originals anymore!' but from a story perspective. The emotional impact of luke finding out about his father in ESB is totally lost because we saw it all before and knew about it even prior to ANH, if you watched the films in their correct order. Same thing for Palpatine, when we first saw him in ROTJ he was a mystery and we had no idea what he was going to do. Now you know that Luke is going to get FL blasted right away.

So you think there shouldn't have been a prequel trilogy in the first place? Or at least have a PT that didn't reveal Anakin being Vader (which would allow a chronological order in viewing the movies)?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:
So you think there shouldn't have been a prequel trilogy in the first place? Or at least have a PT that didn't reveal Anakin being Vader (which would allow a chronological order in viewing the movies)?

That's a good question. I think from a film standpoint it would have been best not to show Anakin as Darth Vader in the PT. I don't know how that could have been done, but I guess to have left off when Obi Wan left Anakin on lavaworld, and then if you do show Vader have it be a cut ahead of time where those who don't know are left wondering who he is and maybe make it vague as to whether he is Anakin or not.

The problem is that we who saw the originals first, which is most of the people watching the movies at least when they came out, know that Anakin is Vader and so the mystery would have been kind of confusing, and from a fan perspective seeing Vader at the end of ROTS is one of the best moments in the PT.

The thing is that the prequels are really kind of meant to fill in the blanks of what we already know from the OT, not to be a series of movies watched in their chronological order, even if that was the intention. I've heard a discussion o0f the best order to view the movies for a first time watcher, and it was recommended to watch Ep. IV and V, and then watch the PT before watching Ep. VI, so that it is like an extended flashback that parallels the story of the OT with Luke and Anakin. I think that is a pretty good idea, but I don't know how well it would work.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Jedi Joe wrote:

That's a good question. I think from a film standpoint it would have been best not to show Anakin as Darth Vader in the PT. I don't know how that could have been done, but I guess to have left off when Obi Wan left Anakin on lavaworld, and then if you do show Vader have it be a cut ahead of time where those who don't know are left wondering who he is and maybe make it vague as to whether he is Anakin or not.

The problem is that we who saw the originals first, which is most of the people watching the movies at least when they came out, know that Anakin is Vader and so the mystery would have been kind of confusing, and from a fan perspective seeing Vader at the end of ROTS is one of the best moments in the PT.

The thing is that the prequels are really kind of meant to fill in the blanks of what we already know from the OT, not to be a series of movies watched in their chronological order, even if that was the intention. I've heard a discussion o0f the best order to view the movies for a first time watcher, and it was recommended to watch Ep. IV and V, and then watch the PT before watching Ep. VI, so that it is like an extended flashback that parallels the story of the OT with Luke and Anakin. I think that is a pretty good idea, but I don't know how well it would work.

That was a very good answer and it made me wish I watched it in that order. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 2 of 4