Return of the Jedi
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
Return of the Jedi
 PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

We need a Return of the Jedi thread!

Tonight I watched RotJ, thus ending the emotional roller coaster that was my Saga rewatch.

The ending still gets me every time. There's nothing like the greatest villain of all time saving the day.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That choral music when Luke explodes and just lets loose at Vader, beating him into the ground with his lightsaber, is the most emotional moment in the entire series to me.

Yeah, the ending is amazing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
That choral music when Luke explodes and just lets loose at Vader, beating him into the ground with his lightsaber, is the most emotional moment in the entire series to me.

I know! I really got the chills at that part this time around.

And by the way, I found the idea of Han Solo dying in RotJ intriguing when I heard about it, but after seeing it this time, there is no way I would have wanted that. It would have ruined the ending.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I enjoyed his survival and it lent me wonderful EU stories. That said I'm curious as to how they would have even handled it in RotJ.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
I enjoyed his survival and it lent me wonderful EU stories. That said I'm curious as to how they would have even handled it in RotJ.

I'd be interested to see a draft of the RotJ script where Han died - if such a thing ever existed - just out of curiosity, but I wouldn't want it in the actual film.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

yeah, that whole sequence between Luke and Vader and the Emperor is great. Han and Leia on Endor isn't quite as compelling as their story line in ESB was, but it's still good.

A lot of people think that ROTJ is childish or for kids because of the Ewoks and they say that they felt the same way about Episode one. I don't feel that way...but I'm not sure if it was because I saw the OT first as a kid and Ep.I came out when I was a teenager. Yoda is arguably more childish in ESB than he is in Jedi, and I don't hear anyone complaining about that. The Ewok sing along is a little cheesy, but that's the only place other than the Special Edition ending and extended Jabba's Palace sequences. Maybe people only feel that way because they don't remember the original version that didn't have those.
The spirit can die when the force that's crushing it is great enough. By raining bullets down on the silent faces, already turned away from the world, you thought you could destroy the face of our truth. But we have faith in a different force. That hopeless hope is what sustains us now. My comrades are more numerous than your bullets, and more patient than your executioners.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It might have something to do with the suspension of disbelief involved in having Stone Age teddy bears beating the Galactic Empire. On its face it is the sort of thing you expect cynical kids shows to do cause they expect their audience to be too naive to think about it, so they won't have to write a more credible victory.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:

I've probably said this many times on this forum, but the only way I'd think it would work is if they didn't freeze Han in carbonite in ESB. I think it would royally piss people off if they waited three years to find out what happens to Han only to see him die at the end of the film.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:
I've probably said this many times on this forum, but I think the only way I'd think it would work is if they didn't freeze Han in carbonite in ESB. I think it would royally piss people off if they waited three years to find out what happens to Han only to see him die at the end of the film.

That's interesting. I feel like yeah, it'd make him a sad sack if he got out of carbonite and then died lol.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Caedus_16 wrote:

Harrison has said that he personally wanted Han to sacrifice himself specifically for Luke and Leia, not for the Rebellion or to defeat the Empire, so I'm sure it would have been a heartbreaking thing.

Those without swords can still die upon them

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Harrison has said that he personally wanted Han to sacrifice himself specifically for Luke and Leia, not for the Rebellion or to defeat the Empire, so I'm sure it would have been a heartbreaking thing.

I think that would have worked fine. He was never much on causes, but I like that he would sacrifice himself for a personal reason.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthMRN wrote:
It might have something to do with the suspension of disbelief involved in having Stone Age teddy bears beating the Galactic Empire. On its face it is the sort of thing you expect cynical kids shows to do cause they expect their audience to be too naive to think about it, so they won't have to write a more credible victory.

People didn't seem to have a problem with it in James Cameron's Avatar.

But I think that is a actually a lot of hyperbole. Could the Ewoks defeat the Empire? No... but they could provide a little bit a distraction in taking out the handful of guards at the Shield Generator Station, with the help of the best Rebel commandos after they already blew it up, which was the Emperor's plan all along because the whole thing was just a diversion of his own to ambush the rebel fleet in orbit. So how much of a challenge were they really facing there?
The spirit can die when the force that's crushing it is great enough. By raining bullets down on the silent faces, already turned away from the world, you thought you could destroy the face of our truth. But we have faith in a different force. That hopeless hope is what sustains us now. My comrades are more numerous than your bullets, and more patient than your executioners.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
People didn't seem to have a problem with it in James Cameron's Avatar.

I had a problem with it lol, but I hated that whole movie.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

Sheeple didn't seem to have a problem with it in James Cameron's Avatar.

Fixed? I hated it too. haha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@DPW: It was literally the worst theatre experience of the year for me. Pretty? Sure. Worth watching? No, and if I hadn't been out with people I'd have ditched and gotten my money back. That was one of the laziest pieces of cinema I've sat through in terms of writing and performance. The art direction was interesting till I realized it was just blue lemur-people instead of Native Americans or Miniature Fairy People. Blech.

Also I feel like the sequel will star Jai Courtney in place of Sam Worthington. He's this era's....well, Sam Worthington.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 2