The Empire Strikes Back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Empire Strikes Back
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Time for an Empire thread!

Nothing will ever beat the original movies. Nothing not ever, never. But I do love this re-imagining of the trailer. The nostalgia and emotions are strong:

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - Modern Trailer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Lol someone else does reddit besides me Wink

And yeah, I think this is probably the best Star Wars film. After watching through them all again I have to say that this one stood out the most. It really changes tactics from the original film to give everyone more to do except Luke, and even the stuff he's doing is slower but interesting.

This is also the movie that really cemented my love of Han Solo as a character. He was awesome in the first film but this is where he becomes amazing, by far my favorite part of the original trilogy.

Gonna probably rewatch this one later.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Best of the series, hands down. The character development and dark notes are unbeatable

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ah, yes. ESB is hard to beat - even if I did enjoy ANH a little more this time around.

Anyone else think the darkness of this film is overstated though? Sure the bad guys win, the characters go through more, and it is darker than the first film, but it's still a fun adventure film. My heart doesn't feel heavy after I watch it. Especially when people compare it to the Prequels to show how much darker the originals supposedly were. Uhh... RotS is way darker than ESB.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's dark compared to ANH, which was thought of as a popcorn fun. Maybe modern audiences find it cheesy, but Luke's moment of angst speaks to what it's all about. Nothing really bad happens, it's the atmosphere of malaise that permeates the film, the characters uncertainty, that makes it emotionally dark.

Ep.3 and 2 had grimdark, which is cheap, and other than the overacting of Anakin, the fact that we already knew everything that would happen sapped all tension from the films.
I'm tending the pyres of my frustrations. Burning leaves on buried dreams. Kneeling in to rake the ashes. I'm embering, you're smoldered out. My hands are free, my lungs are proud. Your forgiveness is a fading fiction.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

EBS was my first. I'm still traumatized by Luke getting his hand cut off, hanging from a mast battered and bruised, screaming at the bad guy menacing him. I didn't catch what they were talking about, but the emotional scarring left by that imagery will never leave me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 1