Hey hey
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Spaceport View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

True, I thought of the same issues. But you almost have to read the majority of Bantam to answer all those questions. I did exactly that and am happy for it, but it took me many years. For those wishing to dive right in, it may be easier to simply answer such questions with Wookieepedia.

Of course...you should always hit the classics like the Thrawn trilogy first, and maybe the Corellian trilogy, just to get a sense of the Solo kids.

Man...all this talk of Bantam and the NJO brings back a wave of nostalgia that threatens to overwhelm. If only time allowed a revisit. I look forward to the day. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's a good point, if you have a foundation for some of those storylines, then you don't really need the details. I'm sure you'll disagree, but Luke's wedding is kind of irrelevant.

What you may miss is character development. Mara Jade is a great character, who's not totally wasted in NJO, but I think if that is where you first meet her you're missing out. If you don't know her as the Emperor's Hand, I don't think you can truly know her.

I dunno about the solo kids. Unless you read Junior Jedi Knights, they are kind of pointless and maybe it is better to skip to them as teenagers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Unfortunately, I almost agree about Luke's wedding. As a fledging Bantam reader back in the day, I panicked when I realized Luke was married and I couldn't figure out when or where. I'd read all the novels up to that point, I was positive of that. Imagine my surprise when I realized it happened in a comic! I got my hands on Union as quickly as I could, and was rather disappointed at the anticlimacticness of it all. Sad

The character development of it all, though, is incredibly important. Agreed. As a new reader, one simply needs to realize that Luke marries Mara. Read the Trawn trilogy and Hand of Thrawn duology, and you are good to go for further reading. In my opinion. Zahn really fleshes out Mara's character the most, understandably, so I feel those are the only really important Mara books one needs to read prior to the NJO.

As for the Solo kids...I agree their childhood years were incredibly lacking. But I guess reading all the YJK and various Bantam books that included them made me feel like I'd known them since birth. Which...I kind of did. By the time the NJO came along, I was able to appreciate the maturity they gained in those books, comparing backwards to what I'd read previously. While I agree that their Bantam storylines are fairly irrelevant, I guess I just feel like reading a few books where they exist prior to the NJO seems important. If for no other reason than to appreciate their growth in the NJO. *shrugs*

I dunno. This is all from a reader who read every book from Truce at Bakura onward in perfect chronological order. I'm kind of CDO like that. Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

You guys make me want to touch your head and absorb all those stories. That's a force power right? Razz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

A late welcome to the forums Gan!Cool

Gan wrote:
You guys make me want to touch your head and absorb all those stories. That's a force power right? Razz

That may be a force power but, what you are expiriencing right now is:

It is the future you see.

Your own if you continue on your current path.

Once you start down the fanboy path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Hogy (and the rest of the EUC regulars).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote  

Welcome to the forums, Gan

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Page 2 of 2