What is the worst EU novel?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:56 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I am about the only person I know (other than you, Flyboy Smile) that really liked the Force Heretic books. Isn't the end of one of those where Jaina and Leia start to speak to each other again? For whatever reason, that got me. My emotional self and all that. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote  

Add me to the short list, I like the Force Heretic books as well. Saba Sebatyne is one of my favorite characters, and though it was a rough time for her, I still enjoyed reading about her. Plus the whole Shamed One's subplot was intriguing with their "Jedi-worshipping." And the Imperials finally join the fight.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:40 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Really Mara? Wow, that's a surprise to me, I didn't think they were unpopular at all! But hey, what with Mizzee OH and Darth Skuldren, that makes 4 of us that like the Force Heretic trilogy. Maybe we'll be the start of a revolution and bring Force Heretic to the top of all SW fans' lists, lol Smile
Actually Mara, yeah, I think you might be right about Jaina and Leia speaking to each other again, wasn't that near the end of FH - Refugee, after the fighting on Bakura had died down? I might be wrong though, I can't remember all that well. Darth Skuldren, I agree with you about the storyline with the Shamed Ones and the Prophet, that was something new, it gave us more of a glimpse into Yuuzhan Vong culture, so I thought it was cool.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

It would be better for Force heretics thrilogy if it was only one book))) But these books contains such a good sentense as "The Empire always strikes back" Smile
"Down here, in the never-ending electric twilight, time had a different meaning altogether. It wasn't something to he scheduled, something to be quantified in terms of seconds, minutes, or hours. It was measured much more simply: you either had enough, or not enough," - Coruscant Nights I: Jedi Twilight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Al_McLeud wrote:
It would be better for Force heretics thrilogy if it was only one book)))

That's the sad truth for most of these series. Dark Nest could have been one long book. LotF maybe three books, four at most.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote  

Could you imagine picking up a 1000 page Star Wars novel...I think I'd weep for joy. Very Happy Too bad their marketing guys would never go for it. Crying or Very sad

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I mean several storylines in these books could be cutten without any damage to the plot Smile
"Down here, in the never-ending electric twilight, time had a different meaning altogether. It wasn't something to he scheduled, something to be quantified in terms of seconds, minutes, or hours. It was measured much more simply: you either had enough, or not enough," - Coruscant Nights I: Jedi Twilight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

From before the NJO, I'd say the worst was Darksaber, that I've read. Although I can't read books like the Han Solo Trilogy anymore, because they are way too amateur.

From the NJO, I gave away Force Heretic 2 in the middle where Jacen started being awed about how some door worked. That had to be the worst in that series.

In LotF, Revelation is the runaway winner. The very best example to all writers of what you should sketch out for your own information about the characters, THEN work out where the story is.

Biggest disappointments: Death Star & Outbound Flight.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Aw, no. Both of those were pretty good! The Black Fleet Crisis and Children of the Jedi both take a definite back seat to those two, if not a few others. But of course...that's just my opinion, and yours as well. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:03 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I think I may be a little late in coming to the party, but I cannot stand any of the KJA books. When I was a "young adult" reader I dutifully special ordered the YJK books, and greatly enjoyed them. Going back I realize that besides the YJK stuff all of his books are just trash. I know it's harsh, but really it's like bad fanfic. His books are just one big lame inside joke.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I must agree, Mandy. That's how I've felt since the beginning. Darksaber was just...painful. Truly painful. And though I somewhat enjoyed the Jedi Academy Trilogy, there was so much about it that was just wrong. I always thought Han was portrayed horribly. So, anyway...yep, have to agree.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

And I'm right on the other side: I loved Anderson's books. I really liked the Jedi Academy trilogy, Darksaber did have some ridiculous things pop up like the one armed Wampa, but I just brushed that aside, the YJK books were fun books even with all of Jacen's silly jokes. I've read some of Anderson's stuff outside of SW, and his seven book series Saga of Seven Suns really has moments that blow most space battle scales from the books and movies out of the water in terms of scale. In short, I thoroughly enjoyed Anderson's books, and he also did a lot of the comics with Naga Sadow, Exar Kun, and Ulic Qel-Droma that everyone loves being mentioned in the KOTOR games.

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Hmm, I gotta agree with Mandy and Mara here. Although I wouldn't go quite so far in criticising Kevin J. Anderson ("bad fanfic", Mandy? Ouch! Very Happy ), it's clear to me that Anderson's writing syle comes across as much, much simpler or even kid-friendly than most of the other novels, particularly uring the Del-Rey era.
A more fitting comparison, though, might be the Jdi Academy Trilogy and Tim Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy. They were the first two proper Expanded Universe trilogies, and the difference in sophistication and language used is clear to see. I just find that the kiddy-style grips me a hell of a ot less than the adult-style writing of most of the authors. I'm not saying all of his work is bad though, Darksaber had some nice touches of darkness and the Young Jedi Knights series was a fun ride (but of course that was purposefully aimed at younger readers).
It seems that Anderson can come up with decent plot points and the general direction of a story; he just lacks the touch, or finesse, to take it to that next level, where a story really sticks in the collective conscience forever, such as with Zahn, Stackpole or even Traviss and Luceno.
Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter...! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I said I was being harsh Wink Interestingly enough though, I will take any KJA novel over the entire NJO series. What 19 novels over a span of 5 years, or something like that? Don't get me wrong there are a handful of stellar novels that came out of that series, but it was too convoluted and quite frankly a downer. Star Wars has always been about escapism for me, so no I don't like it when the good guys die. TF.N had an interview with Tim Zahn a while back and he summed up my thoughts regarding the state of the EU: "Star Wars, to me, is an old-fashioned tale of Good v. Evil, with the heroes stepping up to an overwhelming challenge, working through it with sweat and courage and sacrifice, and ultimately winning the day. Part of that is that the chief good guys are alive at the end in order to see their victory."
You can find the rest of the interview here: http://theforce.net/jedicouncil/interview/timothyzahn.asp

He talks some more about killing off major characters. That said I love me some Zahn, but the man never should have written Outbound Flight. Quite frankly though, I adore Star Wars. I will continue to watch the movies, buy the books, watch the cartoon, never mind if they do things I don't like. I'm just along for the ride.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
I absolutely hate the Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy. *shudders* Horrors.
Yeah, that was bad. So was Crystal Star...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 3