Mara, I read the article. I think the author is a little behind the times. That article should have been written last May after the initial "Legends" announcement was made.
As apparently there is still some confusion...
The LucasFilm Story Group, of which both Leland Chee and Pablo Hidalgo are members, has the job of guiding the "canon" of SW going forward. "Canon" means the official SW story as recognized by Disney/LFL. By "going forward" it means that all of the following are now the "official" canon:
1. The 6 movies (to include the latest SE's of the OT on Blu-Ray) and any new movies coming out (i.e. the ST and stand alones)
2. The Clone Wars tv show (to include season 6 (on Netflix) and other unaired episodes...ex. the Utapau arc that you can see on starwars.com) [NOTE: this does NOT include the Samari Jack style miniseries]
3. The Son of Dathomir (Darth Maul) comic from Dark Horse (which is essentially an unaired season 6 episode arc of TCW)
4. The novelizations of the 6 movies...IMPORTANT..."where they align with the movies".
5. All new books beginning with "A New Dawn" from last year (then "Tarkin", "Hear to the Jedi", "Lords of the Sith", etc.). This includes young reader books that started with the Rebels tv show tie-ins.
6. All "new" (meaning NOT reprints) comics from Marvel (beginning Jan. 2015)
7. The Rebels tv show and any new tv show that may be produced
8. New fiction stories that appear in the Star Wars Insider beginning with "Blade Squadron" in issue #150.
NOTE: It's been said that the new video games (perhaps beginning with the new Battlefront later this year) will also be considered official canon, but I don't know how that will work given the nature of video games' story telling.
That's it. Nothing else. Everything else is considered "Legends".
That said, producers of new content have at their disposal almost anything from the "Legends" material (with the approval of the Story Group) to use in their new story. Anything used in that capacity will from then forward be considered "canon".
The Story Group's job is to coordinate all of this into one cohesive continuity canonical story.
So, from what "canon" we already have, you can see that some of the "pre-Disney" EU has already been canonized. And based on comments that I've heard and read from both Pablo and Leland, there will be much more Legends material making the crossover.
I hope this helps.