Digital Star Wars Comics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digital Star Wars Comics
 PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

OK EVERYONE.

Star Wars digital comics are now on Comixology.

This is the moment I've been waiting for for a long time. The one terrible mistake Dark Horse has been making for years: not having its digital titles use the Comixology platform.

https://www.comixology.com/Star-Wars/page/4913?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9jb20ubWFydmVsLndlYi50YWIvZGVza3RvcC9sYXJnZUNhcm91c2Vs

This page shows the digital "collected edition" files that were added to Comixology today. They include:
1- The four TPBs of Brian Wood's Star Wars
2- 16 omnibuses, incl. A Long Time Ago.... 1-5, At War With the Empire 1-2, Early Victories, The Complete Saga, Knights of the Old Republic 1-3, Shadows of the Empire, and Rogue Squadron 1-3
3- Three of the recent Darth Vader series (Lost Command, Ghost Prison, and Ninth Assassin
4- Both TPBs of Agent of the Empire
5- Three Boba Fett titles (Death Lies and Treachery, Blood Ties: Boba Fett is Dead, and Enemy of the Empire)
6- A Purge TPB (which collects all of the Purge one-shots and minis)
7- Collections of the Thrawn Trilogy, the Dark Empire Trilogy, and the Crimson Empire Trilogy. Oddly enough, there's a separate one for just Heir to the Empire.
8- The three Complete Collections of Legacy, as well as the four TPBs of the Ania Solo Legacy series
9- The four Manga adaptations (A New Hope 1-4, The Empire Strikes Back 1-4, Return of the Jedi 1-4, and The Phantom Menace 1-2)
10- And a bunch of one-off TPBs, including Jedi: The Dark Side, Classic Star Wars: Han Solo at Stars' End, The Star Wars, Chewbacca, Visionaries, Bounty Hunters, Tag and Bink, and Rebel Heist.

All of these are published with the Marvel logo in the corner and have the Legends banner under them.

They are listed under eight separate "series", to facilitate filing of the digital files. These are Star Wars: The Old Republic, Star Wars: The Empire, Star Wars: The Rebellion, Star Wars: The New Republic, Star Wars: Legacy, Star Wars: The Manga, Star Wars Universe (titles that don't fit well elsewhere), and Star Wars: The Star Wars (the adaptation of the original screenplay).

There is also "Star Wars (2015)", which will be the new Jason Aaron series. The other Star Wars series (Darth Vader, Princess Leia, and Kanan) will be added later. I imagine they'll slowly add more of their Star Wars back-stories over time (they tend to add about 50 new back-issues of Marvel and DC books every week).

The prices look pretty good. Omnibuses are $20 (which is about what digital titles of books that size go for), and the other big books (Legacy, Thrawn Trilogy) are $25. Most of the other TPBs are 10-15, and as cheap as 5. This consistent with Marvel digital pricing. The Darth Vader series are overpriced, in my opinion, but that's it.

For anyone who's never used Comixology, it's a great tool for acquiring and reading digital comics. You can read them in your web browser, your smartphone, or your tablet. To facilitate reading, especially on small devices, you can enable "Guided View", which shows you the individual panels up close instead of the whole page at once. I've bought hundreds of digital comics on this, and it's great. All the big companies use it (Marvel, DC, Image, IDW, etc.; Dark Horse has been the only real outlier).

If anyone has gaps in their collection and want to read some more Star Wars digitally, I recommend checking this out. I myself will likely pick up the Han Solo at Stars' End title, which is something I was never able to pick up back when I was a completionist.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1