School Shooting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote  

I'd support a proposal like that. The only thing I'd want to know is where the funding would come from. My home town is surrounded by a lot of poor communities where it's widely known that the schools in those communities suck because they can't afford to do any better.

Obviously the schools that cater to the children from rich suburbs or private schools could afford all that but what about the schools that are barely scraping by with the money they have? It would be wrong to ask those schools to further cut the already shaky quality of the education they provide just so they could buy protective equipment.

More to the point they'd likely buy the cheapest stuff because they couldn't afford better and we need to make sure that every kid is protected equally not set a bare minimum standards where we know the schools with more money will be more likely to have equipment exceeding the minimum. That would just mean the poor schools would get targeted because gunmen would know the equipment may not be as high quality or not as well maintained/replaced as needed (either way meaning more likely to fail).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Here's an idea from an ex-SEAL that does not involve arming teachers with guns.

Quote:
"You have to create a first line of defense," he said. That, he said, should include training teachers and school officials how to react to an attack. Then schools should install ballistic doors with magnetic locks, put Kevlar blankets in every school room and even put Kevlar sheeting on desks for kids and teachers to hide behind.

"You want to have a way to let teachers and principals buy time for the cops to arrive and deal with the active shooter," he said.

Also, teachers should receive a TASER, with training, to shock an attacker. "It's easy to use and very effective," said McClellan.

via The Examiner

^Call me nostalgic if you will, but I miss the years when teachers didn't have to now all this Sith.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 5 of 5