What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 100, 101, 102 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm finishing up my re-read of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and am moving onto The Song of the Nibelungs.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I'm reading a manuscript to a book a friend of mine wrote called "Helen's Crown." The book would be considered Historical Fiction genre.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

AdmiralSteven wrote:
I'm reading a manuscript to a book a friend of mine wrote called "Helen's Crown." The book would be considered Historical Fiction genre.

Synopsis? I like historical fiction and am always on the lookout for new stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

GrandMaster wrote:
I finished slogging through A Storm of Swords, which thankfully picked up in the last third and had a very good cliffhanger, so I moved on to A Feast for Crows, and have now started A Dance with Dragons. I've heard that a lot of people don't like these two, but I really liked AFfC and I am enjoying ADwD much more than I did ASoS.

I've yet to finish ADwD, despite much effort. I don't dislike it, but it just doesn't capture my attention like the first three books.

I also read Divergent. It was...ok.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Reepicheep wrote:
I'm finishing up my re-read of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and am moving onto The Song of the Nibelungs.

Out of curiosity, there are two ways to read the Narnia series, correct? Which way, do you think, should a newcomer to the series read it?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Publication for sure. All new copies of the series are published in chronological order, so you just have to ignore the numbers on the spine.

Publication order is:

1. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (1950)
2. Prince Caspian (1951)
3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)
4. The Silver Chair (1953)
5. The Horse and His Boy (1954)
6. The Magician's Nephew (1955)
7. The Last Battle (1956)

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:

I've yet to finish ADwD, despite much effort. I don't dislike it, but it just doesn't capture my attention like the first three books.

The 'rents have been watching Season 1 of GOT and Mom wants to read the books - so do I - so I ordered the 5 volume PB box set Saturday and it shipped this morning. Hopefully it'll be here before the week's out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Caedus_16 wrote:
AdmiralSteven wrote:

Synopsis? I like historical fiction and am always on the lookout for new stuff.

In short, it's about some gold that a German archaeologist, by the name of Heinrich Schlieman, found in what was once the Ottoman Empire that was supposedly linked to Helen of Troy. During WWII, this gold was taken by the Russians and the Germans are trying to get it back. There is, of course, the intrigue that goes along with the story. According to what my friend told me it the main events in the story, the gold, where it was buried and the murder that took place right after the burial of the gold, actually took place. There are some events and characters and what not that have been added, but it's a good read so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
^ Publication for sure. All new copies of the series are published in chronological order, so you just have to ignore the numbers on the spine.

Publication order is:

1. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (1950)
2. Prince Caspian (1951)
3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)
4. The Silver Chair (1953)
5. The Horse and His Boy (1954)
6. The Magician's Nephew (1955)
7. The Last Battle (1956)

But, but, but the numbers command it, and it must be so!

Thanks, Reep!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

A Song of Ice and Fire Book I: A Game of Thrones. Very good so far; I'm up to the end of Eddard's first POV chapter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'll loo forward to hearing your thoughts on the book, Alan. You watched the show first, I think? I read the book first, so I wonder how our impressions will stack up.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Since a few people here have read/are readinf ASoIaF and Game of Thrones has been discussed in the TV thread, maybe it should have it's own thread like we do with Walking Dead?
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think that's a good idea, yes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sorry to disappoint you, Pdame, but I haven't watched the show at all, and I'm not permitted to. Even though I'm more than old enough to watch Thrones as well as Tudors and Rome, Dad and Mom both nixed letting me watch them because of the explict sexual content.

I think a separate ASOIAF thread would be a good idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:10 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I finally finished Mockingjay. A great book, though my least favourite of the trilogy (but, like with Star Wars movies, my least favourite is still like a 7/10).

It was just so different from the other two books (which, I guess, it needed to be), but I preferred the previous two, particularly Catching Fire.

Next up: Rot & Ruin, a Zombie book by Jonathan Maberry.

Also, I'll be reading along with Crash Course: Literature this winter, which will include:
The Odyssey by Homer
Oedipus Rex by Sophocles
Hamlet by Bill Shakespeare
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
Beloved by Toni Morrison

Probably won't read all of them (slow reader, some harder to get than others). But I'll check it out.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 101 of 106