What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125, 126  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished In a Time of Treason just now, so I'm done with David Keck's Durand Col series until the third book is released ... whenever that is.

Still slowly reading through The Last Lion: Visions of Glory as well as two other books, Serafina and the Black Cloak and Boy Colonel of the Confederacy .

Picked up Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave at the library last week and will start it soon now that Treason's done.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

At the suggestion of a counselor that I spoke with recently, I just finished listening to "Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire" by Jim Cymbala. It did not have the effect on me that the counselor expected...nor I. I thought it would help me deal with the issues we're having with my daughter (now 21) and encourage me. It did do that, but it did much more. If you're familiar with the book of Jonah (in the Bible) you'll have an idea of my present state of mind...only chapter 1 so far.

As I deal with the above, I'm awaiting the release of Joel C. Rosenberg's "Without Warning" to finish out the "Third Target" trilogy. It's a fictional story (with a lot of real facts and situations) about ISIS' goals in the Middle East. I think this third book will have them strike in the U.S. mainland.

After that...THRAWN!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm not reading it, but there's a new book of essays trying to "redeem" H.P. Lovecraft. He was a racist dude that wrote some pretty cool monster stories. So what? I don't understand why you need to synthesize his ideas.

I even question the value in redeeming Heidegger. He was a guy that was like "Hitler is the best!" and then later said he didn't really believe that. So he's basically Pewdiepie. I mean he wrote one of the best books of the 20th century, but about equally important.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My Spiritual Journey by the 14th Dalai Lama

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote  

A Blaze of Glory by Jeff Shaara

If you're into novels about the American Civil War and liked his previous works this is a good read. I wasn't too fond of his novels in the American Revolution as they largely focused on politics, which I didn't feel went well with his writing style. This book goes back to the roots with Gods and Generals and his father's book The Killer Angels. I haven't yet finished it but I'm overall enjoying it.

I'm also finally reading the Harry Potter series. Currently waiting for the ebook of Order of the Phoenix to be available from my library. I still think Aragorn and Legolas are cooler cause archery and swords but Harry and his companions are pretty cool too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dunkirk: Retreat to Victory by Julian Thompson in preparation for Christopher Nolan's movie this summer. Cool

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander, the first book in the Chronicles of Prydain. This is a series I have wanted to read for a while.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm currently working on "Grunt: The Curious Science of Humans at War" by Mary Roach. She writes books about interesting science subjects, and presents them as if the reader knows nothing about it. Presents all angles, learns about cool things by talking to people, watching experiments, etc.

In the chapters I've read so far, she went to a place that tested equipment that shields people inside vehicles from explosives, new hearing protectors that still allow soldiers to hear each other, and reconstruction of soldiers' injured body parts.

I've also read her books about cadavers and sex. She's brilliant.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote  

The Bourne Identity.

I loved the film trilogy and decided to check out the book from the public library. So far I'm really enjoying it and it seems the movie was more "inspired by" rather than trying to take the book specifically to screen. Admittedly that's no doubt in part due to the book being set in the Cold War and the movie obviously isn't. But the movie also seemed to change a lot of plot details that would've been fine in a contemporary setting (although perhaps it would've given it a 4 hour run time).

Either way I'm really enjoying it since I'm not entirely sure what to expect to happen next.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
I'm currently working on "Grunt: The Curious Science of Humans at War" by Mary Roach.

My ex was a big fan of hers, although I've never read any of them. Does seem like the kind of thing I'd be into, general studies about a specific subject.

I'm reading "Mothers and Daughters: Women of the Intelligentsia in Nineteenth Century Russia." A book that probably appeals to just about no one but me.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I just finished reading a lot of comics about young X-Men characters. Specifically, I read New Mutants (2003-2004) 1-13, New X-Men (2004-2007) 1-46 + Yearbook Special, and New X-Men: Hellions (2005) 1-4. I also finished that readthrough with a major X-Men crossover event, Messiah CompleX.

I did a write-up of it here: http://taralbooks.blogspot.ca/2017/06/new-mutants-and-new-x-men-young-mutants.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote  

Rereading the Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell. Really enjoying those books again, I look forward to comparing the books to the BBC show based on them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Re-reading Le Morte d'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory. Might read this in separate chunks with shorter books in between though.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm reading a couple of things.

I just finished Patience by Dan Clowes. It's pretty great, I actually prefer it to Ghost World in some ways. It's about a man who finds his pregnant wife dead in their apartment and, after finally convincing the police it wasn't him, wallows for 20 years until he gets the chance to do a time-travel thing to find and stop the killer. I really enjoy it.

I'm also reading The Gilded Dinosaur, a book about the Bone Wars between O.C. Marsh and E.D. Cope. These two guys were awful, I love it so far.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Here's an article you might like which is a woman's perspective of why she likes and relates to Clowes.

http://comicsworkbook.com/on-being-a-woman-in-the-manly-world-of-daniel-clowes/

For me, ironically, it showcases all of the things that I hate about him and why I think he is a misogynist.

His woman are the "manic pixie dream girl" type, although more of the Hipster. But it's really the whole trope of "she's not like other girls!". She doesn't go to the mall, she listens to 45 rpm swing records!

That was every girl I was friends with in high school and I totally get why they did love seeing a book that showed girls like themselves...But this isn't a young woman exploring herself, it's a 40 year old Artist dude.

I'm not into third wave feminism, but can we agree that a man hating on women for embracing feminine characteristics as being vapid, shallow, unintellectual, is just as patriarchal as the other end of the spectrum? Only valuing women for qualities that are valued in men isn't feminist. It's objectification on another level; it's not sexual it's egotistical.

Those aren't just male values, but they are Daniel Clowes' values. He doesn't hate women, on the contrary he constantly talks about how great they are... because his women are just objects to fulfill his needs and bolster his insecurities as a man.

Full stop. I do it too. I see myself just as much in him and that's why I recognize and feel the need to point out the problematic nature of it. The difference is that I don't write books about women that reinforce those views and instead I work on trying to find parity in my relationships with women.

A man has to use time travel to save his wife. How cliche. That's one right out of the book. Violence/ death of a woman in order to motivate and give characterization to a man...Nothing misogynistic about that trope. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 124 of 126