What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 124, 125, 126  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@DPW: Haha actually yeah, the plot of Patience is one of my biggest issues. It's a story done to death, but the execution is a mixture of Memento and crazy LSD inspired Dr. Strange comics, I love that aspect.

With his female character...yeah, this is the one where I'd say it doesn't work. She has no agency, little personality, and she's not paper-thin but she's there enough to technically count as more than wallpaper. It's frustrating.

I'd say I agree with you on Ghost World but I have to side with Clowes there. Yeah, it's a 40 year old dude writing excellently written, cynical, hipster girls from the 90's but the fact that he pulled it off for so many is actually really nice due to the fact that so few men seem to be able to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

C: You replied while I was still editing my comment, even though I posted it already. So you might want to go back and reread what I added.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Interesting. I'll have to read the article over lunch and get back to you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've been reading a lot of X-Men lately. In particular, I've been following some storylines involving teenage X-characters and especially Laura Kinney (X-23, the little girl from Logan).

I wrote some articles on my blog about 2003-2008 "New Mutants" and "New X-Men" series (about the next generation of mutant kids; X-23 factors in halfway through New X-Men), and then about 2008-2010's X-Force (mutant hit squad, featuring X-23) and Cable (one man's survival with a small child in the post-apocalypse).

http://taralbooks.blogspot.ca/2017/06/new-mutants-and-new-x-men-young-mutants.html

http://taralbooks.blogspot.ca/2017/08/x-force-and-cable-dark-stories-for-dark.html

I'd also read several X-Men miniseries from the mid-90s (Gambit, Rogue, Wolverine/Gambit, and Storm) and the 2015 Secret Wars crossover.

http://taralbooks.blogspot.ca/2017/08/early-90s-x-men-solo-minis-great-one.html

http://taralbooks.blogspot.ca/2017/06/secret-wars-2015-one-crossover-to-rule.html

In terms of current reading, I'm working on the X-23 ongoing series from 2010, the Onslaught crossover from 1996, and some Star Wars.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote  

Reading Harbors of the Sun by Martha Wells. I believe this is going to be the last book in the Raksura series.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've read several books and started a few others since the beginning of July.

Covered With Glory: The 26th North Carolina Infantry at Gettysburg by Rod Gragg
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
Wonder Woman: The Official Movie Novelization by Nancy Holder
Boy Colonel of the Confederacy: The Life and Times of Henry King Burgwyn Jr by Archie K. Davis

are the ones I've finished. At the moment jumping back and forth between:

The Bible
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
The Call of the Wild by Jack London
The Romanovs: Autocrats of all the Russias by W. Bruce Lincoln
The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff (yes, I finally jumped into her Roman Britain series after years of watching the 2011 The Eagle film but never reading the books. I'm about halfway through TEOTN right now and am absolutely loving it. After I finish I'm going to watch the film again and see how the two compare.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm reading The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman.

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis

Is this your first time through the Narnia books?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

[quote="Reepicheep"]I'm reading [i]The Golden Compass[/i] by Philip Pullman.

[quote="Alan Skywalker V"][b]The Chronicles of Narnia: The Magician's Nephew[/b] by C.S. Lewis[/quote]
Is this your first time through the Narnia books?[/quote]

Nope. I've had a box set of all seven since I was a kid and have read them before. This is the first time I've read them in several years, though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I really liked the Golden Compass, but I never read any of the other books. Are they any good?

I heard that it was supposedly an "Atheist version of Narnia", other than not being like Narnia at all other than having talking animals I didn't really get anything "Atheistic" about it either. Did I miss the part where the polar bears say there is no God? Is it just because the animals are called demons and there are witches? But those things imply casual religious connection, so that makes even less sense.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Yeah, that's what they say. I know that Philip Pullman is a pretty vocal atheist.

I'm only three chapters in, but I was surprised that the Catholic Church is in it albeit re-imagined in an alternate reality. Right now the only "anti-religious" stuff has been the portrayal of the Magisterium (the oligarchical replacement to the Pope) as a force for the suppression of science, so I wonder if it will be more an attack on the church than an attack on Christianity or theism per se.

As a Christian who is often frustrated with the church and ashamed at certain parts of our history, I am often pretty unmoved by authors who have an axe to grind with the church because often I share their gripes.

I like Pullman's writing enough so far, but yes, his voice is very different from Lewis's in the Narnia books, so I don't see many points of comparison so far.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Jack London/ Adventure Pulp stuff was what I really liked about it. I figured that the sequels would be more about the witches and the Chosen One cliche, so I was less interested in those.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finally finished The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe a few days ago and then The Eagle of the Ninth yesterday.

Moved on to The Chronicles of Narnia: The Horse and His Boy and Sutcliff's The Silver Branch, the first "sequel" to TEOTN. Only two chapters in on the latter, but I can definitely tell it's going to be much different than TEOTN, though the links back to that book are already established early on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm making an honest attempt to check out Jane Austin by reading Pride and Prejudice for the first time in over a decade. It's interesting, I'm not sure how much I like it so far, but I do like it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

PSH. Read Wuthering Heights instead. Much better.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I dug Wuthering Heights actually, it's on my re-read list right now.

However...I bought Phasma last night so I'm reading that before anything else.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 125 of 126