What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 111, 112, 113  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Judicar wrote:
Ah I just finished Brisingr! Very good, I thought.

Also, I just read R.A. Salvatore's new book, The Pirate King. Anyone into him?

HE KILLED CHEWIE!!!1!!111! Crying or Very sad

only book i'm reading now, (since i finally gave my friend back sherlock holmes; talk about addicting!) is I, jedi.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote  

I've been rereading A Bridge Too Far. Its a history of Operation Market-Garden during WWII. Really a great read, even though it is a history book Cornelius Ryan's writing style makes it an enjoyable read sort of like a historical novel.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, that's why I really enjoy Ambrose. He makes it so much more interesting than a textbook.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:24 am Reply with quote  

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Yeah, that's why I really enjoy Ambrose. He makes it so much more interesting than a textbook.

Did you read his book Band of Brothers? I really liked that one, you could also really see his influence in the HBO miniseries Band of Brothers (where I think he was a historical consultant). I've still got to read his book on D-Day though, I've had it for the longest time but have never got around to reading it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, I read Band of Brothers. Saw the whole TV series, too. And D-Day was really good. Quite the long read, but very good. I think my favorite is still Citizen Soldiers, though. Although Pegasus Bridge was really good, too. So if you're worried about time constraints, I'd go with Pegasus Bridge. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote  

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Yeah, I read Band of Brothers. Saw the whole TV series, too. And D-Day was really good. Quite the long read, but very good. I think my favorite is still Citizen Soldiers, though. Although Pegasus Bridge was really good, too. So if you're worried about time constraints, I'd go with Pegasus Bridge. Smile

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll have to look into all those books (it'll give me something to do over winter break!). Because I love aviation I read his book The Wild Blue. Its a good nice short read too.

I'm not too worried about long reads. Its not like its a novel where (like say Order 66) where you just have to keep reading to find out what happens next. Since its a history book if I get desperate to find out what will happen next in a battle I can just "cheat" and read an encyclopedia entry and then just enjoy the rest of the book when I have the time. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:26 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Currently reading Hidden Empire, Book 1 of the Saga of Seven Suns by Kevin J Anderson. only just started it so can't say too much, but its started well. From all I've heard it sounds like a good series.

Just finished reading the Thraxas novels (forget the author), which are fantasy comedy books, very cool.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote  

Reading Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice. The book the movie was based off of. So far it's pretty good. I might end up delving deeper into this series if it finishes well.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reading the Demas Revelation. It's by Shane Johnson, my favorite author ever. He's only ever written five books, but I have them all and love them all. He tends to write Christian horror, which may sound strange, but I love it. I love horror/scary stuff, but it's usually used in a fashion I don't agree with. However, Johnson uses it in a sense by using demons/spiritual warfare that makes it okay, and I absolutely love the way he does it. I know that sounds really confusing/strange, but it's hard to explain.

Anyway, The Demas Revelation was not horror related, but it was excellent nonetheless. Smile

What am I reading now??
 PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I'm reading "Star Strike - Book One from the Inheritance Trilogy" by Ian Douglas.

Book is about the US Marine Corps (and the human race in general) in the far off future. This is a series of books that when all is said and done, will be nine books total. To me this is great series and highly enjoyable.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've never heard of it Kal. Gonna have to check that out (to Amazon!!!)

Re: Caedus_16
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

You need to start with his first book "The Heritage Trilogy - Semper Mars." This book kicks off the whole 9 book series. It's then followed by "Luna Marine" and "Europa Strike."

If you want to know the titles of the rest of the series, let me know and I'll list them here.

Good Night Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, those sound really good, and I've been looking for a new series to start now that the semester's almost out. Will check it out! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Same here. THanks Kal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Anyone ever read the Inkheart books?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
-The Code of the Sith

In mourning . . . Crying or Very sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 5 of 113