What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 111, 112, 113  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
Finished Sword and Scimitar. Now reading The Complete History of Jack the Ripper by Philip Sugden.

Is that fiction or non?
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:
Finished Sword and Scimitar. Now reading The Complete History of Jack the Ripper by Philip Sugden.

Is that fiction or non?

Non. Its a very complete containment of all information on the Whitechapel murders. Partially about Jack the Ripper, but mostly about the murders and investigation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

What Caedus said.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Origin Of Species by Charles Darwin.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:

That's awesome! I've always wanted to delve into that.

Fun fact: Darwin never once used the word evolution (not sure it was coined yet), and refers to The Creator quite a bit. He firmly believed that the world operated under natural laws, but that those laws were ordained by a Creator (specifically the one described by Judeo-Christians, though I'm not sure if he shared many of the other Christian beliefs).

I've always liked that line of thought, and it's one I've shared for years. Effective proof that science and religion can co-exist fairly well.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:28 am Reply with quote  

Mysterious Ways by Michael A. Stackpole. It's a new murder mystery eBook he just released. It's okay. I am at the point where I definitely want to finish it so I can find out 'who done it!'

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:

That's awesome! I've always wanted to delve into that.

Fun fact: Darwin never once used the word evolution (not sure it was coined yet), and refers to The Creator quite a bit. He firmly believed that the world operated under natural laws, but that those laws were ordained by a Creator (specifically the one described by Judeo-Christians, though I'm not sure if he shared many of the other Christian beliefs).

I've always liked that line of thought, and it's one I've shared for years. Effective proof that science and religion can co-exist fairly well.

I'm not that far into it, but it's certainly quite brilliant, and I'd highly recommend it! And you're quite right, those were his beliefs. He makes that quite clear in his introduction, taking great care to discern between intelligent design and active oversight (our bodies are simply too flawed for this to be true) and naturalistic laws - albeit ordained by a Creator. (Though I don't hold to that last belief.) This is understandable given the way biologists operated in those days - Creationism was the commonly held belief, and they had worked to provide evidence for that. Yet within twenty years of his presentation of his work, nearly every biologist subscribed to Darwinian evolution (I don't think I've yet come across the word 'evolution'. I'll keep an eye out - though he does use other phrases to explain the concept).

What I find very interesting is what he didn't know. The observations he notes and questions he asks (such as why we inherit certain traits), without the ability to provide answers. With our modern understanding of genetics (his original hypothesis did predict the existence of genetic information), it's a simple matter to answer, even for a layman such as myself.

EDIT: Your post in the Random thread reminded me of a fun fact: Darwin's on the back of our £10 note!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm using this reading plan:
http://www.greatconversation.com/10-year-reading-plan
to read through the Great Books of the Western World, so I will eventually read The Origin of Species when I get to it. The Descent of Man also.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hm I've read Origin of Species im my mothers tongue and I don't remeber the word evolution either. But it has been a while. And Darwin was always more of a source material guy, than an actual "Dude was right! guy" for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished the Twilight Saga and I don't understand why people don't like it. I quite enjoyed it, although the whole "sparkly vampires" thing started to get kind of weird towards the end. Confused None the less, it was a wonderful series! Next up: Harry Potter! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote  

I just finished reading Hellhole and now I'm diving into Hellhole Awakening. Really liking it so far. Both books have a large cast, but they're enjoyable characters. Stuff is really heating up in the second book, too.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Feel like since they're making a film out of it (with Daniel Radcliffe, so that could be good or bad) I'm going to have to read Horns by Joe Hill. I loved Heart-Shaped Box and can't stop re-reading his short story collection, 20th Century Ghosts, so I think I'll enjoy this as well as a novel if not as a film.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

JainaSolo wrote:
Finished the Twilight Saga and I don't understand why people don't like it. I quite enjoyed it, although the whole "sparkly vampires" thing started to get kind of weird towards the end. Confused None the less, it was a wonderful series! Next up: Harry Potter! Very Happy

http://io9.com/5413428/official-twilights-bella--edward-are-in-an-abusive-relationship

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
JainaSolo wrote:

http://io9.com/5413428/official-twilights-bella--edward-are-in-an-abusive-relationship

Nah, I still like it! Razz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm just finishing Skybreaker by Kenneth Oppel and then I'm moving on to Eleanor of Aquitaine: A Life by Alison Weir.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 82 of 113