What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Finished TCW novelisation. One thing I really liked about it was that Traviss played up the Togruta-predator card. I'd never really thought of Ahsoka in those terms before, and it added something to her that I found quite appealing. It also went a small way to explaining her ... enthusiasm in the beginning of the series. Though that was explained by several other things, too, which made me warm to early Ahsoka in a way I hadn't before.

I'm now reading Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. It's not something I'd normally be interested in, but I'm reading it because it's one of the books in a collection. That being the 100 Classic Books Collection - a game for the Nintendo DS. I've been meaning to make my way through it, ever since I came across another list of 100 books to read. That one was posted on here by Reep, if I remember correctly, but I can't find it. I'll edit it in when I have.

Although, I think my attempt to go through these 100 books would have been made easier, if I hadn't just ordered 4 other books from Amazon ....

EDIT: Found it:
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I plan on doing that list one day. Probably when I'm finished with the Great Books of the Western World. Bookworm forever. Cool

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Very Happy

I'd like to, too. Luckily my Collection game has a small number of the ones on your BBC list, so I can make a headway on both.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:57 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

The other day, my wife reorganized our bookshelf. Not by author, but by subject. And it flows surprisingly cleanly from one subject to the next. Space Sci-Fi to Robot Sci-Fi to General Sci-Fi to Dystopian (usually sci-fi-ish) to Zombies (cause Zombie stories are often apocalyptic) to Vampires to each different monster to High Fantasy to Absurdist fiction to regular fiction etc.

If you're looking for one specific book it can be hard, but if you're all "I want to read about Demons today" (which is how my wife picks books) she can just look at one section.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I like that way. My books are organised in, well, piles, and if I want to read one I have to suffer through several of the things falling onto me, to get the one I want (also, this is how they say 'hello' whenever I open the door).

Finished Little Women. It was pretty good. Good, strong characters, quite forward thinking for its time, though with some obvious productions of the era - nice guy syndrome 'I'm nice to you, so you owe me marriage!' kind of thing - and an almost soothing plot. The blurb was a little misleading, but didn't really detract from the story.

EDIT: Complete forgot to say: now reading Emma by Jane Austen.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:40 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Hello! Smile

I'm about half way through A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin -- the audio version. This way, I can get my book on while I work too. Cool

For those of you who have not experienced the audio version of A Song of Ice and Fire -- it is read by the great Roy Dotrice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Just finished Penn Jillette's "God no..." a very funny read about his life as an atheist, skeptic and magician. Not for the easily offended.
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote  

I finished The Element of Fire by Martha Wells. It was kind of like a three musketeers novel but with sorcerers and fay. Pretty cool story and I really loved the ending.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I've made it to A Feast for Crows in A Song of Ice and Fire. I need someone to share my feelings with. I'm dying here.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:46 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I put a pause on Soulless to read "The Pluto Files: The Rise and Fall of America's Favorite Pllanet" by Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

I'm the one at family gatherings that corrects people when they try to say that there are nine planets Smile
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmθ Skywalker wrote:
I've made it to A Feast for Crows in A Song of Ice and Fire. I need someone to share my feelings with. I'm dying here.

What's your issue with Feast, Padme? I'm doing a series reread right now.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've read the ASOIAF series! I'd guess the issue was more with the preceding book!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmθ Skywalker wrote:

This is a safe place Padme, express!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Ok, here I go.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Feast gets a lot of slag, but I thought it wasn't too bad. I knew beforehand that it was slower than the previous books, so maybe that helps. I also followed along with a blog of a first time reader giving their thoughts chapter by chapter.

People complained that it was all descriptions of landscapes and heraldrey... yes, it's a fantasy series. I guess people didn't want that because they were used to watching an HBO boobs and blood show.

The purpose of Brienne's quest was to show everything that had happened in the Riverlands since we left off. We knew from the start that her intended goal was not going to happen, what did you think was going to happen?

I hate everything about the Iron Islanders except for Asha, but I've come to accept that is just as much a part of the series as anything else. I loved all the Dorne stuff. Because the first three books had more or less the same POV's people tend to forget that there are no "main characters", it's about anyone who is playing a part in The Game.

For me Dance was way worse than Feast. If you hated seeing characters you don't like act stupid and do nothing, just wait till the "main" characters do the same thing in the next book, especially Dany.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 89 of 106