The Walking Dead Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I tend to agree with you, Walker. And if we look at the show on its own, we see that each colony or group is getting progressively larger and more stable. Granted, some of the ways those groups maintain their stability are very questionable morally and practically, but the show seems to be progressing towards a larger, more cohesive unit (which will then be torn down and replaced by an even larger and much more stable one). At some point it has to reach critical mass, where a group is just too large to be wiped out by zombies. Thus, zombie apocalypse is over.

I haven't read the comics, so I can't really comment with non-existent knowledge. Well, I can, but it'll only be so much wind.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
If it wasn't for the Governor they would have been just fine at the prison, and that was just with like ten people. Heck if Andrea, or literally anyone, stood up to the Governor than Mayberry or whatever that place was called would have been even better. Are we really supposed to believe that there is no group larger than double digits that are capable of getting together and creating a living situation and deal with the zombies?

This is true. The sanctuary of both the prison and Woodbury were destroyed by humans not zombies. Had there not been a conflict between those two groups, they could have lived in their fortresses indefinitely.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Anyone else watch the Season 5 premiere?

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote  

Oh yeah, wouldn't miss it.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It was just ridiculous heavy handed metaphor.

I liked the episode over all, but that line was too much.

See, Zombies eat people. People eat people like zombies. People lose their humanity. We are The Walking Dead!!! Rolling Eyes
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Fair enough.

Spoilers for the second episode:

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^Nailed it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote  

Regarding the cannibals, I think it has less to do with zombies, and more to do with post-apocalyptic scenarios in general. Cannibalism is a very popular subject in post-apocalypse stories. It's all about finding readily available food sources in a era of food-shortage. If you have no morals or scruples, human cattle can be a very easy way to survive.

That said...

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It makes sense in a story like The Road, where the environment is wrecked. From a survival standpoint in TWD, it makes a lot less sense.

Rick's group have subsisted almost entirely on factory food manufactured before the zombie outbreak. From what we've seen it looks like an estimated 80% of the population has been reduced. So while almost all of the food would've been hoarded during the initial outbreak, by the time it stabilized IE: killed everyone off, most of it has not been used up.

There is some indication that zombies may be attacking large game, but animals themselves are immune to the virus and small game has been left intact, as we see Daryl having no problem hunting them. Fishing should be entirely intact, and indeed using a boat for all purposes should be the most effective out of anything. It's surprising that we have not seen them on the water.

If one has a secure plot of land, agriculture is not restricted. There's no reason why Terminus was unable to grow crops, as they did at the Prison and Woodbury.

Canibalism is not exactly healthy dietarily, plus it has the biggest problem of the person trying to resist being killed. They might have worked out that last part at Terminus, but the numbers still don't add up. Given the population the amount of human meat that they would need to harvest to supply what looked to be at least 20 people is not sustainable. We just saw them grilling meat on the BBQ, there was nothing shown to preserve it. They would need to eat one or more people a day.

Without getting super gruesome, if they were keeping people captive they would be losing mass and they would need to feed them to sustain them over a period of time... yes, that would mean feeding the captives to each other, further reducing the yield.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
It's surprising that we have not seen them on the water.

We did see Andrea and her sister fish in season 1.

I agree on the rest of what you've said.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've thought about starting this series. But I'm not sure I could get into it because it will never be like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR4lLJu_-wE

It's a video by Bad Lip Reading. It's from a year ago and I don't know if it spoils anything. Razz

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Dog: Yeah, agreed.

@Yoda: Haha. I've seen those.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote  

Remember the bearded guy they freed from that container who kept repeating "we're the same" then got killed real quick? I was under the impression he was one of the original attackers, and that they kept him alive by feeding him people. Thus why he said "we're the same".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Huh. I never thought about what they fed him. I suppose it could have been people. I do wonder what they did with that guy all this time. They would obviously want revenge of some kind.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 11 of 12