The Walking Dead Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Couldn't agree more. That's not really a spoiler. This whole seasons has been pretty crap.

By the end I don't think I could care if they killed everyone.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote  

I haven't gotten to Negan in the comics, but I like the actor they have playing him. Seems like a good fit.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:24 pm Reply with quote  

So the wait is over and we found out who died...

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You like Negan? Then you must've really loved Suicide Squad. He's so r/Edgy. It's a shame that the zombie apocalypse ruined all his Hot Topic text tshirts.

The only really interesting thing about TWD is that the zombies are a new conception of Man Versus Nature. But instead they just go back to Man Versus Man because they are terrible writers that don't know how to create any other conflict and it's easy to stick to the standard formula of heroes and villains.

I realized that Walking Dead only has one trick and that is making the audience feel bad. I don't care and so it's just boring.

It is interesting to bring up Sadism though. I have been thinking about that a lot recently, in regards to Django Unchained. I think the term needs to be reappropriated back to it's original context. I think it should refer to a narrative of a morality based on evil. That's an interesting idea. On that definition it doesn't apply to TWD. TWD is mostly morally virtuous, although pessimistic. It's not even nihilistic.

The media use of the term now to refer mostly to excessive violence, I would call Exploitation. Exploitation is use of a theme, usually one that is transgressive, as it's main narrative usually to the exclusion of another other plot. Usually considered "cheap thrills".
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Not gonna lie, I hated Negan in the comics but Jeffrey Dean Morgan is charming enough that I'm enjoying his portrayal.

That said the show is just about blood at this point. It isn't about the interaction between the people, it isn't about building to anything, it's just the sad and increasingly unenjoyable stuff. Negan was created in an attempt to one-up a popular arc and it didn't work for me in the comics, I doubt it'll fully work in the show, but I don't even really enjoy watching anymore. Kirkman described the comics as "what happens after the credits in a zombie movie" and that premise could only remain interesting for so long. I'm ready for the next set of credits to roll.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I completely sympathize with the TWD gripes. I've talked about it earlier in the thread so I won't belabour it here.

TWD has turned into a "guilty pleasure" for me. I have very little respect for it anymore from a story-telling perspective. It has gotten very repetitive and the whole story has become pretty much meaningless at this point. That said, it's undeniably entertaining, some episodes are still really good, I still love some of the characters, and it's something to talk about. And so, I keep watching.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:51 am Reply with quote  

The gore doesn't do anything for me. I tend to switch off when that happens and slip into "cheesy B-Horror movie mode" so it doesn't have the same affect on me. Rather than making me feel shock, I laugh at the ridiculousness of it. Kind of a safety mechanism. Regardless, I could do without it completely.

The thing that interests me is Negan's attempt at manipulating Rick's group. The whole episode was about manipulation. For Negan, the question was "how do I make these people lose the will to fight me, and thus succumb to my commands?" Rick is there leader, so he knows he's the one he has to break. Killing him wouldn't do him any good because he still needs someone to lead their group, to keep it together. He needs Rick for that. But he doesn't need anyone else.

I don't know, I just find the whole manipulation angle of it all fascinating.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I can understand that. I did think of that, it's just it was handled in a way that didn't have any subtlety.

The psychology of Fascism is worthy drama for a TV series, but I guess I feel like what is essentially a supernatural fantasy is not the best vehicle for it. Plus it's almost cliche at this point, Romero did it and so did 28 days later.

My mom said, "It's Daryl's fault", internalizing that guilt which is the essence of Fascism. That's kind of disturbing, but that is how most people think. Fear of reprisal is how despots everywhere operate. The Nazis would execute up to 1,000 innocent people for every one of their own that was killed by citizen resistance in occupied territory. The resistors just had to learn to accept those losses because it had to be done. That creates a huge crisis of conscience for people who were not used to living in an Apocalypse.

But on the Walking Dead they are used to it. They already knew they had no safety and are living on borrowed time. That makes it an easy choice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote  

I'm liking this King Ezekial guy. He's interesting. Even when he was just a act with the tiger, I thought he was neat, but getting his backstory really humanized him. I'm intrigued to see where the story will go with him. He definitely seems to have to it together a lot better than Rick. Only way they'll beat Negan is if a bunch of these communities ally together.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I liked Ezekiel and I'm glad they didn't make him a villain. I always thought I would go medieval just for the heck of it during a zombie apocalypse. Find a horse, get some armour, a spear and sword etc. so I enjoyed that aspect of his character. Razz

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was never sure if they'd introduce Ezekiel, he was just so weird. I'm glad they went for it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Not sure if anyone's still watching, but...

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote  

Well Morgan was a good character who went bad, then good, and now bad again Laughing

I was pretty shocked at what he did. But they haven't destroyed his character. I think there's still hope for him.

Now Rosita had me worried because her character has been awful ever since you know who died. But yesterday's episode helped redeem her in my eyes. We'll see what happens as they left a lot unanswered.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I haven't commented on this in a while. I started off hating this season, I was pretty well done with the show, but it got better and better each episode. At the mid season finale I was actually excited for the show to come back in a way I haven't been for years now.

I've liked every episode except the one with Eugene.

I don't think it's right to characterize Morgan as a guy who flips between good and bad. He was never bad. He had a total psychotic breakdown, the he found a means to cope with it. The trauma he has just endured triggered him back to his previous state. That doesn't mean he was wrong, just that he needs to return to his system of mental well being, or find out that he doesn't have to refrain from killing, he just needs to find some other way to cope with it.

That has been the parallel between himself and Carol, and really the whole theme of the season: You can't solve your problems by avoidance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 16 of 17