The Walking Dead Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think you're right about Rick.

I really liked that episode. The scene with Herschel at the end had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

I didn't really like Carol performing surgery on the "cadaver". It seemed out of place and pretty stupid. Operating on flesh in advance necrosis isn't going to be helpful for surgical practice and won't do much but give you a basic anatomy lesson she should already know.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

I didn't really like Carol performing surgery on the "cadaver". It seemed out of place and pretty stupid. Operating on flesh in advance necrosis isn't going to be helpful for surgical practice and won't do much but give you a basic anatomy lesson she should already know.

I think it was just to make sure she got practice opening the uterus without going too deep into is so that when she does it to Laurie she won't hit the baby. It made sense to me. It felt over-the-top, but I'm putting my faith in the show for now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

I think it was just to make sure she got practice opening the uterus without going too deep into is so that when she does it to Laurie she won't hit the baby. It made sense to me. It felt over-the-top, but I'm putting my faith in the show for now.

Wut? Was the cadaver pregnant? Because if not, that makes not sense at all. A pregnant and a non-pregnant uterus are a lot different. And Dog is right; if she's a doctor, that's a basic anatomy lesson she really should already know. I mean, I'm a nurse and I know where the hell the uterus is. And most of us women know where our uterus is anyway. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

Wut? Was the cadaver pregnant? Because if not, that makes not sense at all. A pregnant and a non-pregnant uterus are a lot different. And Dog is right; if she's a doctor, that's a basic anatomy lesson she really should already know. I mean, I'm a nurse and I know where the hell the uterus is. And most of us women know where our uterus is anyway. Very Happy

She's not a doctor, she learned a little bit from a vet over a few months. This whole thing is totally being winged and she's proven to not be the brightest thus far in the show so on top of all that she wouldn't really think about the differences in uterus-es, she's just doing what little she can think of. I get it. If I were in a zombie apocalypse (with what little I know about anatomy and pregnancy) then ya, I might delusionally think that practicing on a zombie cadaver would work.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

ok, that makes some sense, but cutting through dead tissue isn't the same as cutting through live tissue. I'm just going to stop now. But this is why anything fictional TV does with medicine drives me batsh*t crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
ok, that makes some sense, but cutting through dead tissue isn't the same as cutting through live tissue. I'm just going to stop now. But this is why anything fictional TV does with medicine drives me batsh*t crazy.

Like I said, its easily explained away with the "its all they have" explanation. And ya, I haven't got a great understanding of medicine but I know enough to know that outside of Scrubs most have little to no accuracy, and that one doesn't hold on to a lot of it either.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I didn't have any problem with her cutting on that cadaver. She didn' have anything else to practice on and she needs to get "the feel" for the scalpel.

If nothing else it had a psychological effect of building her self esteem.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

haha. Having an inconsequential scene that didn't make sense doesn't really bug me because I care so much about realism in a show about zombies, moreso that they bothered to put forth the effort of writing such a scene in the first place.

But Ok, I can get that Carol wants to practice cutting into human flesh with a little bit more subtlety than is usually employed by jamming rebar through people's eye sockets.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Ehhhh either way I'm just glad they are off the farm! Can I get an amen?!?

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote  

Actually, I was on edge when Carol was operating on the cadaver. I thought for sure one of the prison inmates was going to come out, see her hunched over the body, and think she was a zombie, and then BAM! Carol's dead.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

1337Jedi wrote:
Ehhhh either way I'm just glad they are off the farm! Can I get an amen?!?

The farm went fine for me. I'm glad they didn't drag it out passed one season, but it was well structured and worked out. Ya there weren't guts flying every episode, but that isn't what the show is about so I loved it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Re: The Farm. My mom said, "Why didn't they just stay on the farm? Close the house up and wait till the zombies passed by. How would they know that they were there? Or if they did, just come back to it later. That seems better than just trying to go to some random place."

I couldn't come up with one for that. Also I think it's hilarious that my mom watches The Walking Dead.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

In TWD they have said that zombies can only be created by transmission from another zombie or having died of other causes not brain damaging since the inception of the zombie virus outbreak. In other words people who were already dead at the beginning of TWD didn't and won't come back. From that perspective we have an even more limited zombie population.

The In-universe explanation has to be that upon becoming a zombie you are not merely "reanimated" whatever that means, but that your cells become partially alive and you don't decay anymore. That still doesn't jibe up with decay though if no "old" dead are becoming Zombies. I think we can assume that zombies diminishing by natural causes isn't going to come into play... or has it? I haven't read that far in the comic.

Well as we later learn in the comic series.... HUGE SPOILER(S) about the comic but it answers just that.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Caedus_16 wrote:
Hogy wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Actually that scene was straight out of the comics, only there Dale had survived much longer and was the one to have his leg hacked off (though not the first time it was tried).

Ah, so the show is begining to deviate from the comics. To what extent?

Its always deviated quite significantly. Shane getting as many episodes as he did was an extreme deviation, he died before they even left the woods in the comics. That kid they captured, Shane's survival, Daryl, T-Dog, none of that was in the comics. And now I'm nervous because the storyline they're starting is the best part of the entire 103 issue run, and if they botch this I could actually be done with the show.

I'm just looking at it like it's an alternate universe. But I'm with you on the fear of the coming story. It was my favorite in the comic as well. I'm afraid I'll be wanting too much from it. I loooooooved that arc.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh man, you had to remind me of Kirkman's dumbest statement about how The Walking Dead refers to the living humans and not to the ambulatory corpses that are attacking the live human Walking Dead.

It's funny because fellow Image comic writer Greg Rucka wrote a book called "Walking Dead", the title of which also refers to live humans instead of ambulatory corpses; that is mainly due to the fact that there are no ambulatory corpses in the story. Go figure.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Oh man, you had to remind me of Kirkman's dumbest statement about how The Walking Dead refers to the living humans and not to the ambulatory corpses that are attacking the live human Walking Dead.

It's funny because fellow Image comic writer Greg Rucka wrote a book called "Walking Dead", the title of which also refers to live humans instead of ambulatory corpses; that is mainly due to the fact that there are no ambulatory corpses in the story. Go figure.

Actually wait till you get to the "Walking Dead" speech in the comics. Its supposed to be that moment where his whole meaning behind the title and the series comes to the forefront.

And most zombie stories are more a commentary on society than they are about flesh eating, disease ridden cannibals. Since the Romero days that has been the point of a zombie movie. I hate things like the Zack Snyder DotD because its just about the blood (don't get me wrong, special effects are cool). I rather enjoy a zombie story that can portray this ideation cleverly as opposed to the mindless zombie flick. The original Romero films, the current Walking Dead show, 28 Days Later, these are things that really hit hard in that area. Mindless is fun, but the real focus is on the character work and how they'd fall given the situation and I love it for that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 3 of 10