Reading fatal alliance before deceived

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reading fatal alliance before deceived
 PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Hey guys, how are you?

I have a question about the Star wars - Old Republic novel series. I'm only able to buy the book in the paperback edition, and I'm thinking about reading Deceived, but it is not available in paperback yet, meanwhile, Fatal Alliance is already available. Should I read Fatal Alliance before Deceived? I'm afraid to read something that will spoiler and ruin the other book!

Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I haven't read Fatal Alliance (mostly because of the negative things I've heard about it from other readers), but I have read Deceived. It's my understanding that it doesn't really matter which one you read first.

Btw, I didn't really care for Deceived, but the SWTOR crowd seemed to think it was the best book since War and Peace. They need to read more. Wink

Re: Reading fatal alliance before deceived
 PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

NasKe wrote:
Hey guys, how are you?

I have a question about the Star wars - Old Republic novel series. I'm only able to buy the book in the paperback edition, and I'm thinking about reading Deceived, but it is not available in paperback yet, meanwhile, Fatal Alliance is already available. Should I read Fatal Alliance before Deceived? I'm afraid to read something that will spoiler and ruin the other book!

Thanks! :D

You can read either one first! Fatal Alliance was actually published first, so plenty of EU fans read that one first. Deceived does take place earlier in the timeline, but like has already been said, the two books can be read in whatever order you prefer since they don't rely on each other. Both books are good, but I actually thought Fatal Alliance was the better book.

Hope you enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I enjoyed Fatal Alliance some, it was more interesting than I was led to believe. As for Deceived you should enjoy it. Its a decent story with some twists and turns in it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
As for Deceived you should enjoy it. Its a decent story with some twists and turns in it.

That were broadcast a mile away. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
As for Deceived you should enjoy it. Its a decent story with some twists and turns in it.

That were broadcast a mile away. Wink

Haha they were, but I had fun with it. I enjoyed it better than Revan which kinda hurt because I really...REALLY wanted to love the heck out of Revan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The three books (Fatal Alliance, Deceived, and Revan) are in no way connected, so the reading order matters not.

I personally loved Fatal Alliance. Although it sometimes read like it was intentionally trying to portray all eight classes in TOR (Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, Smuggler, Trooper, Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter, and Imperial Agent), I thought the story was really cool. Kept me interested the whole time. Plus the book is a decent size, which was less common a couple of years ago.

Deceived was great and densely packed with adventure.

Revan was fun too, but my least favourite of the three. It was made to bridge the events of KOTOR (1 and 2) and TOR, but I personally feel that was unnecessary. That said, I understand it serves as a prequel to some of the Class stories of TOR (specifically the Jedi Knight one).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'ved read both. They aren't connected much aside from the time period, so reading order doesn't matter.

I thought Fatal Alliance was just above average. It was a fun story. I didn't dislike it, but it wasn't very memorable.

Deceived was good. It was marketed all wrong and that threw me off, but it's well-written for what it is. It has some good psychology in it. It helps that I'm partial towards anything written by Kemp. Smile

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
I personally loved Fatal Alliance. Although it sometimes read like it was intentionally trying to portray all eight classes in TOR (Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, Smuggler, Trooper, Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter, and Imperial Agent),

Ya, it was. That was completely purposeful, hence the unnecessary amount of main characters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 1