Darth Zannah & Darth Cognas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Zannah & Darth Cognas
 PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I just finished reading the Bane Trilogy. For those who want a good Sith read, I recommend this trilogy.

My question is, what happened to Darth Zannah?

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

We're still hoping they'll write another novel on this subject. I'd love to see more Sith interaction.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

As in what happened to her after the Bane trilogy?

I wouldn't be surprised if Zannah and Cognus never get novels. They're cool characters, but the stories can't be as dramatic as the Bane books were. The Sith have to go in hiding sometime.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Reepicheep wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Zannah and Cognus never get novels. They're cool characters, but the stories can't be as dramatic as the Bane books were. The Sith have to go in hiding sometime.

Yes, but there are too many loose ends. Plus, they leave us hanging with a Dark Jedi who has stolen Darth Andaddu's holocron. What happens to him? Does he go over to the Sith, does he learn the secret to eternal life? Does he start his own order?

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I should think that Mr. Karpyshyn would be chomping at the bit to write a Zannah/Cognus novel. If only to finally make people realize that Zannah won. Despite Karpyshyn's outright statement that Bane lost, and that the twitch simply signified that a small piece of Bane lived on, and that to him it should have been incredibly obvious (if Bane lived, he has no reason to lie; a trustworthy narrator referring to "she", etc.) a lot of people still think Bane won.

If I were him, I'd be all "Must write book. Must put nails in Bane's coffin. Grrr."

Now, I honestly don't think there will be more books like that. I don't see much value in books made simply to fill gaps. If they had a wonderful story to tell, and can tell it through Zannah and Cognus (jump ahead to Cognus and Millennial), then that would be awesome. But just as Tatooine Ghost was unnecessary (existing merely to link the prequels to the post-ROTJ EU) and bad, we don't need books merely to fill gaps. Only to tell good stories.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Earlier this month, I tweeted to Drew Karpyshyn that if he wrote a Darth Zannah sequel, I would totally buy it. He replied back:

Quote:
Nothing in the works right now. Never know what the future holds. But probably not until after Children of Fire in 2014

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

SidiousThrawn wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

Yes, but there are too many loose ends. Plus, they leave us hanging with a Dark Jedi who has stolen Darth Andaddu's holocron. What happens to him? Does he go over to the Sith, does he learn the secret to eternal life? Does he start his own order?

I guess there are things they could do with it. And I'd forgotten about Millennial! He could make for an interesting story.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd read a Darth Millennial book.

It's odd that apparently the Sith lords are more interesting or something because they get their own books, whereas there really isn't any books that focus on a single Jedi who isn't Skywalker related. Or at least the few that do at all, it's still part of a larger story not focused on them.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I'd read a Darth Millennial book.

It's odd that apparently the Sith lords are more interesting or something because they get their own books, whereas there really isn't any books that focus on a single Jedi who isn't Skywalker related. Or at least the few that do at all, it's still part of a larger story not focused on them.

I think villains get more standalones specifically for them because they just have more drive. A lot of heroes do what they do because of "loyalty to the Force" or "because its right" and there is good debate amongst them but they're better together than apart. Villains all have supremely different motives and drives, with Plagueis and his immortality, Bane and his Sith reboot, Vader and his tragedy, Sidious and his desperation for power, it all makes for more interesting story. To me anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I kind of wish more Jedi would get standalones though.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Reepicheep wrote:
I kind of wish more Jedi would get standalones though.

Jedi aren't always interesting. Other than someone like Corran Horn, who is particularly unique, or Revan, who had an amazing story, not too many Jedi characters jump out at me as being worthy of their own titles.

Sith, on the other hand: there are many Sith with great stories to tell, because of how they changed history. Bane. Malgus. Revan (again lol). Plagueis.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Hmm. Would you count Crosscurrent as a standalone? It depends on how you count a standalone, but I feel that there's an equal number of standalones for Jedi and Sith. So how would you define a Jedi-centric standalone book and a Sith-centric standalone book?

A quick look through the list of books at the beginning of Scourge shows that there's probably more books that can be described as Jedi-centric standalones.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Mayhap it's a good idea to replace "standalone" with "book" or "story."

I think the term was chosen because it's unlikely that a non-major character will receive his own multi-book series at the start. Popularity then seems to add more stories to the character.

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction was a standalone. Now it is not. Same applies to Crosscurrent.

I, Jedi is arguably not standalone, but rather a companion novel to the Jedi Academy Trilogy.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

It could be argued that Traitor and Dark Journey are standalones.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:48 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Life Is The Path wrote:
It could be argued that Traitor and Dark Journey are standalones.

That's a grey area. Depends on how you view the NJO (as a series, a meta-series containing standalones and miniseries, or an era made up of series and standalones.)

My position is the middle one. Dark Journey and Traitor are linked by the meta-series, but standalones in their own right. After all, they are also linked to Star by Star, Rebel Dream, Rebel Stand, and Destiny's Way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 1 of 2