Better the Second Time Around

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Better the Second Time Around
 PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote  

Re-reading books is always an interesting endeavor. Every now and then I like to re-read a Star Wars book and sometimes my second opinion of the novel can be very surprising.

For instance, when I re-read Star By Star, a book I initially liked and thought was very good, the second go around was rather disappointing. The book I so fondly remembered wasn't as good. Maybe it was my mood, maybe it's a new viewpoint. Regardless, my new opinion of Star By Star has been greatly dampened.

Some books still hold up to my original opinion. the Edge of Victory duology, Traitor, Heir to the Empire...these books still got it.

I started re-reading Specter of the Past a few weeks ago, and it was very difficult to get into. In fact, I didn't get into it. I hit the 100 page mark, put the book down, and then put it away. It just wasn't cutting it. I then skimmed through Stackpole's Dark Tide duology and was really impressed. It was a lot better than I remembered.

And speaking of better the second time around, Allegiance was a book I thought was okay the first time I read it, and really good the second time I read it.

It's interesting how opinions can change.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I actually prefer re-reads to reads. The first time you read a book you're caught up in the moment and you don't pick up on all the subtleties (certainly not the foreshadowing), but you can dig deeper with each re-read. And, yes, a book might be far better or worse than you remember it. That's always interesting. Razz

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Depends on the book, some hold less power the second time whereas ones I was less into improve with readings.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Dark Journey was like that for me. The first time I read it, I wasn't too impressed. In fact I skipped it when I decided to re-read New Jedi Order. When I finally did re-read it, I found myself really enjoying it.

There are other books, I find this to be true with, but none of the Star Wars EU.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

One benefit that re-reads hold for me is that it reminds me of what happened when reading the later books of a series.

Back in the day, I used to wait for PB releases. For Legacy of the Force, it meant I needed to wait a full year after reading Revelation to read Invincible. Anticipating this delay, I stopped after Inferno, and put the books aside. Then, when Invincible was almost out in PB, I re-read the whole series.

I want to do that for Fate of the Jedi too. The delays were too long between each book, that I forgot what happened sometimes.

Otherwise, I'll re-read my favourite books a few times. Jurassic Park and Dune are my two favs, and I've read them each 3 times. I plan to read JP again this month, when I travel.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

For me any book with Thrawn or the Chiss I'll reread many many times.

But, some books I've reread because the first time there were some details I didn't 'get'. An example for me was the Courtship of Princess Leia. I really didn't understand the Hapians. Now have readedeveral books the LotJ I understood Hapian society more so, I was able to enjoy rereading CoPL the second time round.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1