Calling all Runners!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calling all Runners!
 PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Are any of ya'll runners? I have been running for two years now. I have run 4 official Half-Marathons & a 19.7 mile race up a mountain. I am running my first full Marathon October,18th.

Running is my first passion in life! It has helped me in many ways. This past Winter, I was running around 30 miles a week.

Follow me on Tumblr http://daniellong94.tumblr.com/

Follow me on Twitter @DanielLong94

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I recently started running about 4 weeks ago. I have never really purposely exercised, and I could only run for about 30 seconds before giving out. So I began the Couch to 5K regimen, which utilizes intervals of walking and running to get you moving. And now I am up to 5 minutes and counting! I hope to keep on trekking and reach my first mile run within the next couple weeks. Going to get there, one way or another! Smile

P.S. Some people are not gifted with the ability to run. I am an average weight for my height, only about 140 pounds. But I could not run more than a block without collapsing. I was discouraged by the fact that friends of mine were up and running a mile within a week or two, and I couldn't even reach the 1/4 mile mark after 8 weeks of exercise. With this I give advice:

1. Don't compare yourself to other people. We are not all built the same. Don't become discouraged that someone else was born with the ability to run (or bike or swim or whatever). There is something else you can do that they cannot.

2. Make sure you are in good health. I did find out that I have a form of pleurisy, which hinders breathing. It is not a severe case, but it explains why I struggle to go reasonable distances.

3. Research and keep trying out various regimens. You will find something that works for you! Doing aerobic exercises and running short bursts for 8 weeks never got me any further. I capped out at a 1/4 mile and thereafter collapsed. But recently I discovered the HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) method, which has been working great! I can now run a half mile without dying.

Am I slower than most people I know? Yes. But am I getting there at my own pace? Also yes. And there is satisfaction in knowing that I have made progress.

So...to anyone just starting out with exercise (or anything else in life, for that matter), keep your chin up! You'll get there. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Back in high school, I could run 5K without taking a break. Now... I shudder to think. I'm going to start going to the gym once I go back to college, so I might start running again.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I used to be pretty good at running away from responsibilities, and/or meaningful relationshisps when I was younger. Does that count? Very Happy

But seriously, I used to run 3,6 km uphill (almost) every other day, exept during the winter. I don't do it as much anymore and it showes in my average times.
I also awoid running downhill nowdays, since my left knee isn't what it used to be.

I never ran more than 10 km.

I do have a silver medal from a competition, but that was a long time ago, me being 5 years old at the time, and I can't even remember what that was all about.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I love running. I can pop in Assassin's Creed and run for hours without ever getting tired.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
I recently started running about 4 weeks ago. I have never really purposely exercised, and I could only run for about 30 seconds before giving out. So I began the Couch to 5K regimen, which utilizes intervals of walking and running to get you moving. And now I am up to 5 minutes and counting! I hope to keep on trekking and reach my first mile run within the next couple weeks. Going to get there, one way or another! Smile

P.S. Some people are not gifted with the ability to run. I am an average weight for my height, only about 140 pounds. But I could not run more than a block without collapsing. I was discouraged by the fact that friends of mine were up and running a mile within a week or two, and I couldn't even reach the 1/4 mile mark after 8 weeks of exercise. With this I give advice:

1. Don't compare yourself to other people. We are not all built the same. Don't become discouraged that someone else was born with the ability to run (or bike or swim or whatever). There is something else you can do that they cannot.

2. Make sure you are in good health. I did find out that I have a form of pleurisy, which hinders breathing. It is not a severe case, but it explains why I struggle to go reasonable distances.

3. Research and keep trying out various regimens. You will find something that works for you! Doing aerobic exercises and running short bursts for 8 weeks never got me any further. I capped out at a 1/4 mile and thereafter collapsed. But recently I discovered the HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) method, which has been working great! I can now run a half mile without dying.

Am I slower than most people I know? Yes. But am I getting there at my own pace? Also yes. And there is satisfaction in knowing that I have made progress.

So...to anyone just starting out with exercise (or anything else in life, for that matter), keep your chin up! You'll get there. Smile

Keep up the good work Smile I used to not be a runner lol. I used to suck haha. Now I can run for over an hour without stopping. You can do it Smile

Follow me on Tumblr http://daniellong94.tumblr.com/

Follow me on Twitter @DanielLong94

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 1