Where did Luke's green lightsaber crystal come from?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
Where did Luke's green lightsaber crystal come from?
 PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:59 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm on a lightsaber roll. :D

In RotJ Luke suddenly shows up with a brand new green lightsaber. Deleted scenes surfaced recently show him sitting in a cave constructing it, showing the then-Lucas intent for its origin. Legends in the meantime had explained this as Luke finding components and schematics in Obi-Wan's hut, constructing it there. Implication of both was that lightsabers are just a piece of tech, gather components and assemble.

But as recent episodes of TCW and Rebels have shown us, a lightsaber has some peculiar construction requirements: Go to Force-strong location, preferably with a temple on it, get vision quest unique to you, see kyber crystal that is invisible to others, overcome spiritual trial and be rewarded with crystal attuned to you. Crystal is then placed inside mundane components, creating a super-sword.

The only vision quest Luke engaged in that we know of was the Cave on Dagobah. But Yoda referred to that as a failure, speaking against Luke having gotten his own crystal from it off-screen. So where did his come from?

By contrast, the Sith have their own lightsabers, and it seems at least plausible that they would do things differently than the Jedi. Theirs are also red unlike the otherwise uniform blue and green of the Jedi, suggesting some fundamental difference Legends explained as synthetic crystals over natural ones. With the Lucasverse now going with rare and potent kyber crystals for lightsabers, the possibility of canonical Sith using synthetic ones becomes less likely. Whatever the case, it seems likely the red Sith lightsabers have something to do with them doing it differently from Jedi. Which in turn suggests Luke's traditional green one was neither synthetic nor made through the Sith way. That it was made the "right" Jedi way. Yet without the same requirements being shown on-screen.

What to make of this? Luke went on a second vision quest before returning to Yoda, this time succeeding? He just happened upon an appropriate location? And such important stuff happened off-screen?
Admittedly it would make more sense of Yoda and Vader suddenly deeming his training complete, but it seems odd.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Perhaps Obi-Wan still had Qui-Gon's saber, and Luke used the crystal from that? That's the first thing that comes to mind.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Not bad.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote  

There is a possible answer to this question in Heir to the Jedi.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:59 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Yes?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm going to speculate that it will be Force Ghost OB1 that guides Luke through the process of making his saber. And I like the idea of him using the crystal from Qui-Gon's saber. Further, I think we'll be shown this via novel rather than a comic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Did Heir to the Jedi bother with this at all?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I don't believe so. I listened to the audio book and remember there being a part about him finding, or being given, an old lightsaber from some old dead jedi. I think he takes it apart to try to see how it works, but I think that is the extent to it. At that point, he has no need to make his own saber because he still has Anakin's.

There's a new book coming out on the 4th called The Weapon of a Jedi (Young Readers) that may give more info on this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthMRN wrote:
Did Heir to the Jedi bother with this at all?

Heir to the Jedi takes place shortly after ANH. Luke has no need to find a new lightsaber crystal.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 1