Luke Skywalker and the Shadows Of Mindor Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Good stuff, but he has done better. Traitor was worlds better, though this hasn't been bad.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:01 am Reply with quote  

I need to reread Traitor. To be honest, I have no idea which book that was in the NJO series. They've all blurred together so much that it's impact has worn off. Perhaps it's time to refresh myself...

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Well Mindor finally came in! I'm still trying to finish up The Lost World (I had trouble getting through the beginning and middle), but I'm almost done. Soon as I finish, I'm diving into Mindor! Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Well I finished it yesterday . . . it did get better as it went on for me, but I still didn't think it was as good as Stover's other books. I ddi enjoy
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
-The Code of the Sith

In mourning . . . Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote  

Hey, Iron Fist, your theory has been backed by Stover...

(Straight from his EUC interview)

EUC: What was your inspiration to include all the stuff about holothrillers and movies into The Shadows of Mindor?

MWS: I think it might have been someone at the San Diego ComiCon in 2003 or so . . . or while on RotS tour in 2005 . . . Anyway, somebody mentioned to me that Tartakovsky’s Clone Wars mini-toons could be retconned as pro-Republic propaganda being disseminated throughout the GFFA over the HoloNet. I thought this was a brilliant idea (as well as being pretty damned funny), and it’s always stuck in the back of my mind - what if some or all of the EU stories were, well, fictionalized exploits of real people? The American West of the 19th Century provided the subject of hundreds of dime novels, many of which were written about real people - Bat Masterson, the James Gang, Wild Bill Hickok, and Buffalo Bill Cody among others, if memory serves; how many more such legendary characters took part in the Galactic Civil War?

I was also inspired by a line of Bob Salvatore’s, when he introduced me on a New Jedi Order panel. He described me as having “introduced the concept of the Unreliable Narrator into Star Wars fiction.” Now, he was talking about Traitor, which is not really an unreliable narrator so much as a narrative strategy that confines the reader’ point of view to those of Jacen, Ganner, and Nom Anor, highlighting their individual responses to having to act in the face of irreducible ambiguity. But ever since then, I’ve had this nagging feeling that there really should be unreliable narrators in Star Wars. Because there’s no such thing as a truly reliable narrator; the very act of creating a story subjects the elements of that story to prior restraint - even choosing what incidents and elements to include is an editing of reality, if you see what I mean. They will always be selected to illustrate and support the author’s rhetorical intent, whatever that may be.

I hung a sign on my office wall that reads:

ALL NARRATORS ARE UNRELIABLE. THE HONEST ONES ADMIT IT.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've read it!
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

I know you're all going to kill me, but I enjoyed the LotF books much more than this.

And Skuldren, love your sig. Very Happy

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote  

If you recall, the Dark is a recurring theme with Stover's work. He used it in his Revenge of the Sith novelization. And I think it does have it's place because there are many groups out there with their own Force traditions. I mean Jacen spent 5 years studying other views. Maybe the Dark was one of them...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I really didn't like the way this book downplayed the Force. I'm just going to erase this from my mind, because in my Star Wars the Force can beat the Dark to a bloody pulp.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

From my point of view, (pun intended), the Dark is another view of the force. It's the force explainable to those who want to learn it that way.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote  

Didn't Luke pwn the Dark with his light side of the Force? (ie. the Light)

Really I think the Dark is simply the dark side, but like Stove said, it's the extreme, the compliment to the Jedi Order. Hard core darksider monks. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Didn't Luke pwn the Dark with his light side of the Force? (ie. the Light)

Luke did conquer the ideal of the Dark; there's no way he held on to it after.

Quote:
Really I think the Dark is simply the dark side, but like Stove said, it's the extreme, the compliment to the Jedi Order. Hard core darksider monks

I'd say it's an extreme theory of the force, making it explainable to hard-corse darksiders.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:09 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Down played the Force? I'd say purging thousands of bodies of a dark substance is quite a fate, but I would say there's been even grander displays of the Force Smile

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I meant the way the 'Dark' seemed more powerful than the Force. That greatly irritated me.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

To me, neither thing was more "powerful", both were just a different way of looking at things. If anything, the Force would be more powerful, it wins in the end.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I concur-- the Force, the Dark, the Potentium View and other things Jacen may have learned too-- They are all views of an overlying, constant thing in SW. That thing is described as the Force by George Lucas, with two sides for good and evil, but just like in this world people have different views on constant things.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 5 of 7