The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi
 PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I've yet to read this, but was wondering if anyone else had. I've picked it up a few times, but never did get past the first page. It looks interesting, but the price stops me every time. I don't know...but just because it's a hardback doesn't seem like a justifiable way to jack up the price of a kids' book.

Anyway, I enjoyed The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader, even if it didn't give much of anything new. I feel this one will probably be the same (one reason the price bothers me), but I'm hoping we'll get at least some new information. And maybe it'll be delivered from 'a certain point of view' (<--- yes, pun intended Wink) that'll make it quite interesting indeed. *shrugs*

So any thoughts?

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

It sounds like a cool concept, but I have to admit; I'm kind of reluctant to dive into the Young Adult Star Wars books. I think I'll end up checking it out eventually.

I have to finish Millennium Falcon first, though. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I have trouble enjoying the young adult novels, too. But sometimes they tend to surprise and are actually quite good. I enjoyed the Jedi Apprentice books for the most part, though they got old after awhile. I didn't enjoy the Junior Jedi Knights books, despite their being about Anakin. They were written far too young. Of course...that was the point, so I'm not blaming anyone. The YJK books were occasionally entertaining, though there were many times when I had trouble getting through one.

But all together they contribute greatly to the EU. Many of the adult novels refer back to the younger books, and the pasts for most of the younger characters come from the young adult novels. So I'd definitely recommend them, though you don't necessarily have to rush to them with open arms. Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I saw this novel too, but the price kind of discouraged me from buying it, but I may just buy it to trick my son into reading SW books(after I read it of course). Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Okay, now for my comments on this particular book. I've had it for quite awhile, but never got a chance to read it until now. I thought it was fairly entertaining. The first half was nothing more than what we already know of Obi-Wan. The second half gave us a little bit more insight, like Obi-Wan's duel with A'Sharad Hett. I'm sure that was referenced in a comic somewhere or something, but since I don't read comics, I didn't know about it. Best part, though, were the last couple chapters and the end. They finally got you into Obi-Wan's head at the end, concerning Vader's return to Anakin.

Sooo...it was a good read, but nowhere near worth the $16 price tag. I bought it for $10 online, so I don't feel as bad. I just wish they wouldn't charge so much simply because they made it hardback in a fancy slipcover. However, in their defense, the cover-cover and the slip cover are very nice, as they compare Obi-Wan vs. Anakin and Obi-Wan vs. Vader. Nice touch. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's pretty neat that they went into the A'sharad Hett thing. Usually the YA books ignore other EU except for other YA books.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1