Can Jedi read minds?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Can Jedi read minds?
 PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:58 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I know in the novels that several Jedi say thay can feel emotions but, can't read minds. However, Ki-Adi-Mundi can read Anakin's mind in PM. He says, "Your thoughts dwell on your mother."

So, here's my question, can Jedi read minds or is this something only cerean Jedi can do?

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote  

That's one of those Jedi powers that's always in flux. When it comes to books, it depends on the author. Some will take it farther than others.

But overall, the idea is that they pick up on broad details and emotions. I don't believe there's anything specific for Cereans. And who knows, maybe from time to time, or depending on how open the other person is, they can pick up on more specific information.

I'd imagine the best resource to check would be The Jedi Path. Then we'd have some solid material on the answer.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Re: Can Jedi read minds?
 PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

SidiousThrawn wrote:
I know in the novels that several Jedi say thay can feel emotions but, can't read minds. However, Ki-Adi-Mundi can read Anakin's mind in PM. He says, "Your thoughts dwell on your mother."

So, here's my question, can Jedi read minds or is this something only cerean Jedi can do?

In this example it felt like he was reading Anakin's general emotions, he only has a mother so any feelings and longings for his parents would of course be his mother. Just as being angry, longing would be readable especially with a young Anakin not shielding his thoughts.

Plus it also comes down to the Jedi- some species can read minds- add to that their Force ability and you have cool character.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Jedi can usually pick up on emotions, though a strong-willed non-Jedi who is controlling their feelings can be hard to read casually. When Wedge has a meeting with Jacen, early in 'Exile':
"Even through the Force, Jacen could pick up little of what Wedge was experiencing - alertness, confidence that may or may not have been forced, a patience born of self-control."

Jedi can more literally 'read minds' by making a mind touch, but the person they are making contact with may be aware of the Jedi's presence in their mind. When Luke does a 'test' mind probe on Wedge (Jedi Academy), Wedge doesn't feel anything. Luke isn't actively trying to read his mind though. He does make a more active contact with Wedge in 'Truce At Bakura':
"He trusted Wedge not to resist this, to let him..."
Wedge must be aware of something happening if there's a chance he could resist Luke's contact. Luke makes the contact then experiences the pain Wedge is feeling from his crushed hand, and tweaks Wedge's pain perception so it hurts less. The scene is written from Luke's POV so it's not clear just how strongly Wedge is aware of Luke's presence in his mind.

Luke makes a more detailed contact with Corran in 'I, Jedi'. At the first attempt, Corran feels something pressing against his consciousness and Luke only gets surface impressions. On the second try, Luke gets past Corran's defences and swiftly explores memories until he finds one relating to Mirax.

It is one of those things that vary from author to author - and also on the needs of the plot. On the whole it seems to be consistent that Jedi can often pick up general feelings from others - with the weak-minded being easier to read. It's empathy, rather than telepathy, and non-Jedi won't feel it happening, but stronger-willed people can prevent themselves from 'broadcasting' their feelings.
Jedi can make direct contact with the minds of others, even non-Jedi, but the person contacted will probably be aware of anything more than a light touch or suggestion. Trying to read memories is more intrusive, and more noticable.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Some Jedi can read minds. Both telepathy and empathy exist in SW.
This is the best example I can think of.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 1