Gun Laws
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Awesome JJ!
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote  

Senator Feinstein, one of the authors of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban passed under President Clinton, has a new bill that will be presented to congress on January 3rd. Among the many things outlined in the bill, it will ban "assault rifles", which seems to be the main point everyone wants to go after. Furthermore it will force everyone who currently owns an "assault rifle" to pay the government $200 (per firearm). They will also have to register the firearm, be fingerprinted, submit a photograph of themselves, submit an address of where the firearm will be kept, and will require permission from the BATFE if the owner wants to transport the firearm across state lines. When the owner dies, the firearm must be given to the government. The firearm cannot be transferred to anyone else.

The bill would ban any firearm that has one of the characteristics outlined in the 1994 ban (note that the previous ban required two characteristics, this one requires only one).

Semiautomatic pistols accepting detachable magazines:
1) ammunition magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
2) threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash hider, forward handgrip, or silencer
3) heat shroud attached to or encircling the barrel
4) weight of more than 50 ounces unloaded
5) semiautomatic version of a fully automatic weapon

Semiautomatic rifles accepting detachable magazines:
1) folding or telescoping stock
2) pistol grip that protrudes beneath the firing action
3) bayonet mount
4) flash hider or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
5) grenade launcher

Semiautomatic shotguns:
1) folding or telescoping stock
2) pistol grip that protrudes beneath the firing action
3) fixed magazine capacity over 5 rounds
4) ability to accept a detachable ammunition magazine

[source, page 6]

Here is a link to the public release on Feinstein's bill.

Personally, I hope Congress throws this bill out completely and makes someone else write up another. God forbid someone should have a rifle stock that can be adjusted to how long your arm is or has a hole for your thumb to go in.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The only reason I'd re-write it would be to make it tougher. But that's me. Smile

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote  

Playing devil's advocate: @Reep: if there was a ban on swords, you'd be perfectly fine with the content of the law focusing on the particular degree of comfort the hilt provides?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Laughing

It would bug me, but if swords were being used for mass slaughter, I'd suck it up. Fortunately for me swords are nowhere near as effecient as assault rifles for mass slaughter.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

That's quite true. On the same day as this latest event, twenty two kids were stabbed in China in a similar event. Not one, however, died. Getting rid of guns doesn't prevent or treat the underlying psychoses, but it sure as hell makes it a lot harder for people to kill others.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote  

Reepicheep wrote:
Laughing

It would bug me, but if swords were being used for mass slaughter, I'd suck it up. Fortunately for me swords are nowhere near as effecient as assault rifles for mass slaughter.

As someone who is a fencer I agree with Reep on this, it would be irritating to have such a restriction but if such a restriction could make people safer better to suck it up than take the chance on more deaths. This being said in theory different hilts would only dictate the style and technique employed but wouldn't decrease the lethal potential of the sword in trained hands (albeit not nearly as efficient as a gun due to effective range). In that regard I understand what you're getting at Skuls with the telescoping stock. In both cases it's putting a restriction on an aspect of a deadly weapon that has little to no impact on it's lethal potential. There are other aspects of both weapons that would make far more sense to put restrictions on because they more directly impact how lethal the weapon can be.

I do understand the folding stock bit though since, as I understand it with my limited gun knowledge, it refers to stocks like on the Sterling SMG or UMP (correct me if I'm wrong) which allows it to be carried in a smaller pack or more easily concealed. If the idea behind the law is to make it harder to carry a weapon unnoticed into a public space then having such restrictions seems to make sense. I'm not sure to what degree telescoping stocks have the same benefit of folding stocks in that regard but I'd be interested to know.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote  

Well the technical aspects of a telescoping stock versus a folding stock, the folding stock would have a shorter overall length than what you would achieve with a telescoping stock slid to its shortest allowable length. A telescoping stock will allow you to have a more concealable weapon to a degree, but any kind of rifle will be hard to conceal, even if you remove the stock completely. That's because a rifle has to have a minimum barrel length unless you register it as a NFA firearm.

I'm not sure concealability has ever been an issue in any mass shootings (at least concealability of a rifle). The only incidents that I can recall where a shooter concealed their weapon involved handguns.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The only rifle mass shooting I can recall is the Texas Bell Tower and Charles Whitman. Since this was the first mass shooting in modern times, no one could've conceived of it happening. I don't remember when the next mass shooting happened but the Texas Tower one felt like an isolated occurrence.

Incidentally, Houston McCoy, the Austin policeman who stopped Charles Whitman, died just three days ago. McCoy and another officer, Martinez, both shot Whitman.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Be interesting to see what the results of the hearings today are. Will people finally take some serious action or will they refuse to listen?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote  

Since talk has turned from assault rifles to high capacity magazines, I thought this was worth posting (it's part of a letter written and signed by Army special forces)

Quote:
"...the current debate is over “high capacity magazines” capable of holding more than 10 rounds in the magazine. As experts in military weapons of all types, it is our considered opinion that reducing magazine capacity from 30 rounds to 10 rounds will only require an additional 6 -8 seconds to change two empty 10 round magazines with full magazines. Would an increase of 6 –8 seconds make any real difference to the outcome in a mass shooting incident? In our opinion it would not. Outlawing such “high capacity magazines” would, however, outlaw a class of firearms that are “in common use”. As such this would be in contravention to the opinion expressed by the U.S. Supreme Court recent decisions.

Moreover, when the Federal Assault Weapons Ban became law in 1994, manufacturers began retooling to produce firearms and magazines that were compliant. One of those ban-compliant firearms was the Hi-Point 995, which was sold with ten-round magazines. In 1999, five years into the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, the Columbine High School massacre occurred. One of the perpetrators, Eric Harris, was armed with a Hi-Point 995. Undeterred by the ten-round capacity of his magazines, Harris simply brought more of them: thirteen magazines would be found in the massacre’s aftermath. Harris fired 96 rounds before killing himself."

Source: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/01/daniel-zimmerman/protecting-the-second-amendment-why-all-americans-should-be-concerned/#more-195927

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It doesn't seem any change in gun laws is going to be made on the federal level.

The polarization of the issue is problematic because the gun rights side does not want to give any ground, and consequently any legislation is written by people like Diane Feinstein, whose bills are written from ignorance.

I think the most sensible means to handle the situation is to have some form of gun registry and/or require training, but "federal gun registry" seems to equal "the government is preparing to take your guns away." In the United States, you have a right to vote, but you still have to register to vote. Is it asking too much to register a gun for your right to own one? I don't think so. But perhaps there's a compelling argument to be made against any sort of registry?

Also, I think it's lame that automatic weapons manufactured after 1986 are illegal. You can own automatic guns manufactured before 1986, there are simply hoops to jump through in order to do so. It's an arbitrary distinction. But I guess it's irrelevant to me since I'm in California, which is Diane Feinstein's state, and I can't own an AR-15 at all! And I don't really need an automatic rifle, but that's just an example of the weird gun control laws that get written by those in favor of them without a mediating force.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

In my opinion, I feel like no civilian needs to own a semi automatic gun. The mentally ill should have check ups every month.

Follow me on Tumblr http://daniellong94.tumblr.com/

Follow me on Twitter @DanielLong94

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I do believe that (more) gun control is a good thing, but this focus by the media on the mentally unstable is far out of proportion to the reality. It's the 'normies' you have to look out for.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 4 of 4